Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - Wroclaw #1


We are now moving on from Zakopane to Wroclaw, my husband's hometown, where he lived until he was 19 years old. Located in the Southwest portion of Poland, it is the fourth largest city in the country. You could vacation in this city for weeks and still not see everything there is to offer. Beautiful old churches, museums, monuments, a wonderful zoo, the Odra river with it's countless bridges, and a thriving city center are some of its highlights. (Not to mention great beer!)

Wroclaw was actually called Breslau and was part of Germany up until right after WWII, and was under the communist regime until the late 80's. Therefore the architechture is a real mixed bag. Even now, twenty years after the fall of communism, the city is still struggling to overcome the neglected infrastructure. They better get their act in gear quickly however, because Wroclaw will be a host city for the 2012 Euro Cup!

So much for Wordless. So...the above picture is taken at a farmers market walking distance from my in-laws apartment. It is hard not to walk away with more than you can eat. You will also be interested to know that people over there are very green...everyone carries baskets and reuseable mesh bags to shop.


For more Wordless Wednesdays, click here.



18 comments:

Melody said...

Interesting!!
Thanks so much for sharing, Sandy!

Susan said...

I love the picture of the market! Everything looks so good. I think we're the only country in the world with such wasteful habits. In that respect, I try very hard to be more European.

I like it when your WWs are wordy. :)

S. Krishna said...

Oh, who cares about wordless? Your story makes it much more interesting!

JoAnn said...

Oh, the colors! Even though it's "Wordless Wednesday", I appreciate the descriptions. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

The market takes me back to every European city I've been in. I remember a little corner store in Berlin near the house CJ and I were staying in. It was the only thing open late on a Sunday afternoon. We bought some pasta and a few tomatos. They were some of the best tomatos we ever had and they came from a little dumpy corner market in a not very good section of Berlin.

We immediately dreamed of moving. Instead we came home and now spend our time looking for good tomatos.

Unknown said...

I love going to markets in other countries and I think the words improve things so don't worry about being wordless!

kayerj said...

open air markets--I wish there were more of these in the US. I've been enjoying your posts about Poland. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

bermudaonion said...

That farmer's market looks wonderful. I want one of those tomatoes!

Beth F said...

Great shot and I like the words!!

Alyce said...

I'm glad it wasn't wordless! I enjoyed reading about the city where your husband grew up.

caite said...

can I have a beer...and one of those tomatoes..please. :-)

Kathleen said...

Makes me wish I was there buying my fresh fruits and veggies for a yummy dinner right now!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Don't you love farmer's markets? I wish they had them everywhere!

Lauren said...

Pretty! I've always wanted to go to Portland...

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

LOL at your attempts to be Wordless :)

Very interesting history of your husband's hometown; the architecture must have a little of everything.

Iliana said...

Oh I would love to go to Poland. I know that when I was in the Czech Republic several years ago I was really struck by what a mix the architecture was... Cool, modern buildings next to buildings which made me think I'd just stepped back into the communist bloc or something. Very odd but definitely wonderful to see.

Alice said...

I like pictures of market and had taken a few myself. Thanks for sharing this!

Darlene said...

Great photo and it's nice when it's not quite so wordless sometimes. lol. I love the farmer's market. May sound stupid but I'm in heaven walking around and looking at all the yummy veg and stuff.