Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - True Grit


Today's Monday Movie Meme from The Bumbles is all about the documentaries you would like to see made. Personally, docs are one of my favorite movie genres. I mean, a good director can make anything interesting, and you might even learn something too.

But come up with some doc ideas of my own? Haven't they basically all been made in one form or another? (Puts head in hands) You guys are killing me!!! This is a Monday morning! After a week off! OK, fine. Here are some ideas, but I'm not promising they are original!!

The hidden lives of the homeless: I think the homeless could use a little extra empathy. Some of them are scammers and some aren't. How do we know the difference? What about the personal stories of successfully employed workers who fell on hard times or got a mental illness? How can we help?

Cat stories: When I let Casper out in the morning, and he comes back at night all dirty, with burs in his coat and a wound on his tail, I always wonder what the hell he has been up to all day. How cool would it be to follow him around with a camera, or even attach a camera to him. Take it one step further and imagine his twisted internal thoughts. I haz can cheezburger?

Hoarders: Every now and again, I run across that reality show where they try to help hoarders overcome their sickness. I am totaly fascinated with these people, and in a selfish way, it makes me feel better about my messy house! Why not a full-length film? I bet there is plenty of material out there.

Biography of Viggo Mortensen: I'm just saying.






I bet some of you smarties out there probably even know of docs that have been made on these topics. A creative genius I am not. What about you? Any topics you'd like to see covered?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love documentaries, but my imagination isn't that good either.

I love the idea of one about hoarders. I am terrible at hoarding things, but I worry that a programme like that would only make me feel guilty about my own problem.

Beth F said...

Sign me up for the Viggo documentary!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

That's a riot about the biography! Who could argue with that one?!!!

Alyce said...

LOL! Would love to see the one about Viggo Mortenson! :) I feel the same way about shows about Hoarders - I know that there have been some shows on tv about them, but I don't know about documentaries. My great-aunt was actually a hoarder, and it was amazing the things they found in her house when she was moved to a group home as an elderly lady.

Ana S. said...

lol! The biography sounds like a good idea alright :P And so do thr cat stories!

caite said...

that Hoarders show is very disturbing. I am not sure I am up to a full length documentary of all that grossness.

Frances said...

Viggo, huh? That fits, you little vixen. :)

I would like to see a documentary about the changes in adolescent girls in the last couple of decades. Particularly the increased levels of aggression. Have seen it first hand. Perhaps this doc already exists?

Kathleen said...

I love your idea of doing something on the homeless. I'd love to see their "back stories". They were all cute little kids at one point, right? How did they end up on the street? As for the Viggo idea...uh, sign me up for that one!! I LOVE Viggo Mortensen!

The Bumbles said...

Andy's cat Elvis used to hang outside all day and he would disappear on missions - coming back in a variety of moods. We always said we wanted to mount an Elvis cam on his head to find out where he went all day!

As for the stories behind the homeless, you should read Jonathan Kozol's book - Rachel & Her Children.

Heidenkind said...

To be honest, I hardly ever watch documentaries--but I would definitely vote for a bio of Viggo! ;)

Alice said...

Me likes the last one for Viggo! Hahahahaa!

Susan said...

A cat cam! Now there's an idea worth exploring. Of course, as soon as you attached it to my cats' heads they would immediately fall to the ground thinking there was an alien sitting on them! We tried putting those nice little halters on a couple of our cats once and they slunk around with their bellies almost dragging the floor. It was hilarious to watch! Now we do it just for the entertainment! lol (JK)

If my son isn't careful, he may end up on one of those hoarder docs someday! He doesn't throw away anything! He has every scrap of paper that he ever wrote a few words on and now he's doing the same with his kids. And he keeps a notebook with him all the time and writes down almost everything they say. He's dedicated, I'll give him that.

Anonymous said...

Another subscriber for the Viggo Mortensen biography SERIES! :))

Oh and I would love the cat stories too.

Did I mention the Mortensen bio? ;)

Anonymous said...

If you want to watch a little Viggo try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICD3m3TSMo
It's all from the movie A Walk on the Moon, but it's all Viggo, and yes he even gets naked ;)