Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mating Rituals of the North American WASP - Lauren Lipton

"Sometimes what happens in Vegas...follows you home". Killer blurb on the back of the book. I mean, how can you resist? I've had this book sitting on my shelves for probably a good six to eight months, and recently picked it randomly to read for my Random Reading Challenge. I took it with me on my girls' cruise getaway, and it was just what the doctor ordered. No Nazi crimes, no serial murderers, no ghosts. Just pure romantic fun.

What we have here is a very predictable, but very sweet fairy tale of sorts. The type of story you can totally see as a rompish flick starring Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kucher, perhaps? Although I generally loathe predictable, it was OK in this scenario.

Peggy Adams, a successful New York businesswoman, goes to Vegas to celebrate a friend's upcoming nuptials, gets tanked, and wakes up in bed with a strange (handsome) man. Never mind that Peggy is living with a good-looking guy, who just happens to be terrified of commitment. She does a quick walk of shame back to her room, boards a plane home, and tries to forget her indiscretion. Except that she soon gets a call from the strange man, named Luke Sedgewick of the Connecticut Sedgewicks, informing her that they actually got married on the night of their Vegas drinking spree. Oops. Darned tequila will do it every time.

Before Luke and Peggy can quickly arrange a annulment, Luke's old, eccentric great-aunt Abigail gets involved. The old-money Sedgewick name ends at Luke, you see. Aunt Abigail offers the family estate and fortune to Luke and Peggy if they stay married for a year. An inconvenience to say the least, but Peggy and Luke can't ignore the financial possibilities, and decide to give it a go. There are the usual obstacles (how to inform the live-in boyfriend, or the hot tamale girlfriend, or the parents, how to pretend to be in love before Abigail's stuffy, small New England community). It is easy to ride the wave that you can see coming a mile away. There are a few side plots to spice things up...a friend going through in vitro, the ex-boyfriend that won't go away, a hidden treasure, etc. It is a nice, pleasurable fantasy, if you are looking for one.

Give this one a try when your mind needs a tall glass of a strawberry dacqueri. You'll feel refreshed and ready for another dose of seriousness.

4 out of 5 stars


23 comments:

Melody said...

Sounds like a fun read!

Unknown said...

It is nice to read something light every so often. I'm not sure why 90% of the books I chose contain death and destruction - perhaps I need to change my reading habits a bit!

JoAnn said...

I'll keep this one in mind next time I need dose of 'light'.

Beth F said...

Wow! You really like this! I've skipped this one because I am usually disappointed by this type of book. I'll keep it in mind next time I need something fun and light.

Danette Haworth said...

Oops. Darned tequila will do it every time. Ha!

The Bumbles said...

They should have just called the book by the blurb on the back:

"Sometimes what happens in Vegas...follows you home"

That sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than the actual title!

Kathleen said...

This might be just the thing I need to get me away from the books about death and disease!

bermudaonion said...

I thought this was a fun book, too. I enjoyed the setting as much as anything, I think.

Ana S. said...

It's funny: I mind predictable, except when I don't :P You got me interested with the words "fairy tale of sorts" :P

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

This sounds like fun; I want to read this one too!

Heidenkind said...

There's nothing wrong with an old-fashioned romcom now and then... ;)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Sounds like beach reading to me! Putting it on my list for next summer!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Sounds very fun and like it would make a great movie!

Darlene said...

I enjoyed this book. It was a nice break from reality. Glad you liked it too.

Carrie K. said...

Sounds like a fun read - sometimes you need a book that's just going to entertain you!

On a side note - I FINALLY finished The Fiery Cross today. Sigh. It's definitely my least favorite of the series. I'll take a break for a while before starting Breath of Snow and Ashes.

caite said...

you are right, sometimes you just need a fun read and this sounds like one. One I would have skipped for sure otherwise...

Margot said...

This book sounds terrific. I actually won a copy and it's been sitting on my shelf for months. I guess I needed the little bit of motivation to get me going.

Alice said...

Can I wish for something like that to happen to me? LOL! That's a great review, Sandy!

Anonymous said...

I have this one my my tbr list. Sometimes all I want is a strawberry dacqueri!

Jenners said...

Sounds fun ... but it does sound just like that Ashton /Cameron movie!! Was it based on this book?

Serena said...

I thought the same thing! Cameron and Ashton! Perfect.

I really liked this fun book...you need those every now and again.

Serena said...

I added your link to my post here: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/05/mating-rituals-of-north-american-wasp.html

Anna said...

It was very predictable, but it also was very fun. That cover sure is bright, huh? LOL

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric