Friday, November 27, 2009

A Bountiful Friday!

It is Black Friday, and I have no intention of getting anywhere near a shopping mall. My plans today were to drop my daughter off at a friend's, then clean my house (my son is thrilled). I just happened to stop by my mailbox on my way out, and I found it FULL of stuff. A few bills, some flyers, but most importantly, three books. Normally I don't participate in mailbox memes, but people, I just couldn't help myself. Here is what I received:



From my friend C.B. James @ Ready When You Are, C.B. sent me his copy of "The Drinker" by Hans Fallada, which he recently reviewed. We both read and loved Fallada's Every Man Dies Alone (my review here and his review here), and he graciously offered me this book as a result. James you are the absolute best.





Then! I opened this package and found an advanced copy of Connie May Fowler's "How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly", sent by Connie herself with a little note asking about a possible guest post. OMG!!!!! I had seen Kathy @ Bermuda Onion mention receiving this earlier this week, and I about lost my mind. I wanted a copy of this book so bad, but I knew that Connie had promised me a copy and I just had to be patient. Have I told you lately how much I love Connie May Fowler? Not in a week or two?




And the goodies just kept coming. I had a mysterious Amazon package in the pile, and it was from my secret santa from the holiday book swap, Trisha @ Eclectic-Eccentric. Taking the lead from my wish list on Amazon, she sent me Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, a highly recommended book from Jackie @ Farm Lane Books (her review is here). In addition, Trisha sent me a beautiful bookmark that says "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", and a set of 8 magnetic page markers that are marked with "Dream", "Love", "Laugh" and "Energy". Thank you so much Trisha!!!

So my big question is this...how the hell am I am going to settle myself down enough to clean my house?



23 comments:

Molly said...

OH -- Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Will you be taking part in the Thankfully Reading Weekend? You certainly have some great material here.

Unknown said...

The fates, or maybe just the mailman, do not want you cleaning your house today....

Ian Banks has been on my radar for a little while now. I'll have to get around to him sometime soon.

bermudaonion said...

After visiting my 90 year old father, I have a new motto - "Don't postpone joy," so I say forget about the house and enjoy your books!

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased that you have a copy of Stone's Fall! It is my favourite book of 2009 and I am really interested to see what you think of it. It is quite slow in sections, so I do worry whether you'll enjoy it, but it is so clever I'm sure that you'll not stop thinking about it. If you don't enjoy it then you can always immerse yourself in the Connie May Fowler book - I don't think you've mentioned her for at least a month!

Trisha said...

I'm glad you received everything! Merry Christmas - really really early Christmas. :)

Literary Feline said...

How exciting! Christmas has come early for you. :-)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Molly - No, I'm participating officially. I have no peace on the weekends. I'll see what I can squeeze in!

James - I know, the fates are working against me. I'm trying, but can't seem to concentrate!

Kathy - that is a good motto! However, there will be considerably less joy in my life if we enter the weekend with a dirty house!

Jackie - I am sure I will love it. A little slow usually doesn't bother me, especially if it is clever! Thanks for the recommendation!

Trisha - I'm not sure if I was supposed to wait to open it! But I just couldn't stand it! Thank you so much again for a wonderful box of gifts!

Wendy - I know! I'm so thrilled!

Unknown said...

What a lovely start to your Thanksgiving weekend, Sandy, a mailbox filled with books! Your Secret Santa is wonderful and so on the ball! I have read some wonderful reviews of Stone's Fall including Jackie's. I look forward to your thoughts about the book. I have one of Iain Pears' mysteries on my TBR pile and can't wait to read it! The book from Connie May Fowler is wonderful. I'm excited for you that she'd like to do a guest post!
And how nice of James to send you "The Drinker", a kindred spirit for sure!

Happy Reading and enjoy your weekend!

JoAnn said...

What a haul! I've just read C.B. James and your reviews of Fallada (an author I'd not heard of), and have added this to my list. The other books look great, too - enjoy!

Gwendolyn B. said...

For a non-shopper, you did great! I stay away from the stores on Black Friday, too. I'm jealous of that Connie May Fowler book!

Trisha said...

Sandy - I wouldn't have waited to open it either! Too much temptation. :) I'm glad you liked everything.

Carrie K. said...

What a wonderful treat! I can't wait to hear what you think of Stone's Fall - I really want to read it.

caite said...

I have Stone's Fall in my TBR pile...maybe it is time to dig it out and read it if you are that anxious to read it and Jackie @ Farm Lane Books gave it a great review.

Beth F said...

Awesome treats in your mailbox!!!!

Kathleen said...

So did you ever settle down and clean your house yesterday? I hope you savored your wonderful bookish treats you received in the mail! What a nice surprise on Black Friday!

Frances said...

Stone's Fall? I am so jealous! The book I want but can't seem to get to. Maybe I will just wait now to see what you make of it. That should buy me some time, right? Congrats on the great haul!

Iliana said...

Ooh lots of goodies! That is so exciting about Connie May Fowler. Will definitely be looking forward to the review and guest post.

Melody said...

Ooh, what a treat! Happy reading, Sandy!

Alice said...

Your mailbox is full of good stuff, Sandy! The books! Envy, envy...

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Lose yourself in a good book, and you won't notice the house needs cleaning ... works every time!

Melissa said...

How exciting about the Fowler book! Cleaning is overrated anyways...

Jenners said...

Wow ... what a wonderful wonderful mail day!

Serena said...

Skip cleaning and head right to reading. What a great day in books.