Friday, July 17, 2009

Wicked Prey - John Sandford (audio)



Most of you already know that I cannot resist a dose of the dude-ish Lucas Davenport, having read every single one of Sandford's nineteen Prey installments of this adrenaline-jacked crime series. These books are always consistently fast-paced, with some testosterone (maybe a little less now that Lucas is married), a respectable body count, some tough talk, driving at high speeds in Davenport's hot Porche, and, if you're lucky, references to some classic rock and roll. It's like catching up with a favorite bad-boy older brother.

In novel number nineteen, Lucas is dreading the upcoming Republican convention about to descend upon Minneapolis/St. Paul. Everyone is on high alert for any number of potential disasters...angry demonstrators, psychos with sniper scopes, Democrats run amuck. When Lucas gets word that a group of serial robbers and cop killers may have their eyes on the money flowing into the twin cities, primarily through political movers and shakers, Lucas gets in on the chase. But even he can't prevent the chain of events that leave many injured and killed.

At the same time, another plot brews, and at one point, even merges with the first one (which is always fun). Lucas' legal ward and soon to be adoptive daughter, 14-year-old Letty, gets into a spot of trouble herself. She is being stalked by Randy Whitcomb, a character from Lucas' past and a prior novel. Randy is wheelchair-bound and blames Lucas, and decides the best way to get his revenge is to take it out on Letty. Letty has been around the block in her former life and is no pushover, and soon is onto Randy and his transparent motives. She befriends Randy's 16-year-old "ho", and orchestrates a scheme to get rid of Randy for good. Sheesh. You'd think she was Lucas' actual offspring.

I love this series and I will continue to read them until Sandford dies or retires. And I will cry when that day comes. The books are entertaining and very tough to put down. But with the exception of a few, most of the installments are fairly forgettable. I couldn't tell you which was the last Prey I read, even though I know I read one early this year. I couldn't tell you what happened. I've been known to buy a Prey book I've already read. That being said, I can't wait for the next one to come out.

4 out of 5 stars

11 comments:

Melody said...

Oh no, not another series for me! Just kidding. (I'm bad with series.)

Glad to hear you enjoyed reading this series!

Unknown said...

I like a good page turning thriller ever so often. Perhaps I'll give him a go one day.

Beth F said...

So you're telling me that I have to add a new series to my list? And it's good in audio? You really know how to get to me!

Kaye said...

Hi Sandy, I have given you an award. Please stop by to pick up the logo when you get a chance.


This series is one my hubby likes too.

Darlene said...

You know I used to read this series and then I had stopped ages ago. I may have to pick it up again. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Melody - I know, series are scary aren't they? I have spent many months huddled in my house reading entire series and ignoring all other necessities in life.

Jackie - This series is good thrills. I personally enjoyed Lucas when we was more of an alley cat before he got married, but I read them all.

Beth - haha! It IS a bit of a committment, isn't it? I've listened to two of these books on audio, and they are easy to listen to.

Kaye - Thanks so much! I will go check it out! I tend to be drawn to the manly series, I don't know why...

Dar - I don't think I've missed a one from this series. Pick it back up, it will be like catching up with an old friend.

Anna said...

I'll have to look into this series. Sounds like a good one.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Iliana said...

Never read this series but will have to keep it in mind when I want something fast-paced! One of my friends really likes these types of books so I'm going to recommend this one to her.

caite said...

I read a few of the earlier books in the series, but for some reason never followed it. but I must say this ward of his sounds like an interesting character.

Hey, if Lucas ever retires, I see the beginnings of a new series in a few years!

Literary Feline said...

I really must introduce myself to Lucas Davenport. How is I've gotten so far in life without yet meeting him? I am glad you enjoyed this one, Sandy!

Melissa said...

I love this series too! This one is in the mail to me, but I know I have at least 1, if not 2, to catch up on before I read it.