Thursday, July 30, 2009

Japanese Literature Challenge 3!!!


I know, I know, its a sickness. But when these challenges come along that are truly no-brainers, how can I ignore them?

Enter the Japanese Literature Challenge 3, hosted by Bellezza. All you have to do is read ONE work of Japanese origin between the dates of July 30, 2009 and January 30, 2010. She has a special place for you to post your reviews, and she has prizes. Irresistible, isn't it?

I've already decided which book will satisfy this challenge, and that is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. This was one of my sister's favorite reads, featured last Sunday on my blog, and the recommendation couldn't have come at a better time.










So come on guys. In for a dime, in for a dollar. It's only one book!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to join this one too!

I have 3 or 4 lined up for it. I'm planning to read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle too. I love Murakami, but for some reason I haven't read this one yet.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Exactly! It is only one book. How can you not join in? :)

Unknown said...

Since I'm almost halfway through Tale of Genji anyway.....

Sandy Nawrot said...

Jackie - James had a good idea...can you count the mammoth Genji?? That should really count for a few!

Carl - what's one more when you read 50 in a six month time period???

James - I totally think Gengi should count. You guys are going to be reading it for another few months at least! (ha)

Beth F said...

Oh god.... I guess there really is excuse not to join is there?

Matt said...

IFinishing Genji would be a challenge itself. I'm replacing my lost copy so I'm bit behind.

Iliana said...

I joined last year and it was the only challenge I think I finished! ha. So I'm joining again. Haven't decided which book yet but more than likely it'll be a Murakami book too. Love the few I've read of his.

Have fun, Sandy!

Susan said...

I read a book called Audrey Hepburn's Neck that was about the way that Japanese men worship her. Does that count? I also read Shogun a hundred years ago. Surely that counts for something!

Melissa said...

It is a sickness!! But it's also hard to resist a one book challenge. :)

Anonymous said...

I've not read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but I'm so anxious to do so! My mother got to my copy before I did, and now I'm really anxious to begin because she said the ending was unclear. To me, that means those who've read it will have a lot to discuss! I'm so glad you're participating, Sandy!

Melody said...

I've a few Murakami's books which I've yet to read!!!

And oh, I can just read one book for this challenge?! Sounds good to me! :P

caite said...

oh, finally a challenge I could do with no trouble. One book and I already have such a book in my TBR pile, Silence by Shusaku Endo.

ds said...

So glad you are doing this! I joined, too & I actually know what I'm going to read for it (very unusual for me). I think you'll like The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Surreal, but fun. So have fun!!

Ana S. said...

I loved The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle! Hope you enjoy it too.