Thursday, April 8, 2010

Facebook Fairytales: Modern-Day Miracles to Inspire the Human Spirit - Emily Liebert


At this point, you would have to live under a rock if you haven't had some type of interaction with Facebook. In fact, as of November 2009, there were 350 million people participating in this social network. Not a bad deal for a couple of college dropouts, no?

I suppose it was kismet that I was afforded the opportunity to review this particular book. Yes, I am one of the 350 million that dabble on Facebook, and while my story isn't all that earth-shattering, Facebook has made a difference in my life. Please allow me to digress for a moment. I'm compelled. If you've heard all of this before, I apologize!

As with most people, when I registered with FB, I was connected with people from every walk of life from around the globe...my best friend in grade school, my favorite author, old work colleagues, my grade school crush, blogger friends, my book club members, even my mother (who, by the way, is the FB Queen). Beyond this, I rekindled friendships with a handful of girlfriends from high school. Four of us really gelled, and ended up going a cruise together last October. There was something nearly spiritual about spending time with women that knew each other's secrets, from the days of yore! Another friend, who was not able to go on the cruise, passed away several weeks ago, and I feel blessed that I was able to be a part of her life before she left us. These ladies were all gifts in my life, that I will treasure forever. I thank FB for that.

But FB does have its bad reputation as well. Jealous spouses that can't handle the reappearance of old flames (I know a couple!). High school bullying. Hundreds of punks who trash the houses of unsuspecting vacationers. But good things happen too, and Ms. Liebert has chosen 25 from hundreds to warm our heart.

The bottom line is that FB is an effective tool to market your mission. Your mission could be to find a kidney donor, or to locate your lost cat. To find a job, or motivate masses to march against injustice. To adopt a baby, or find lost family members. To befriend a Prime Minister, or memorialize a remarkable teen who passed away. Each story is remarkable in its own way. Some are inspiring and some will bring tears to your eyes.

In the literary sea of familial dysfunction, murder, and the apocalypse, this collection of stories is a breath of fresh air to give you hope for humanity. The only downside is that the stories are brief, and you are left wanting to know more. On the positive side, the stories are short, concise and is a very pleasurable, easy read. Take a break from the dreary and soak yourself in some happiness for a change!


I am also pleased to be able to spread some of that happiness around. If you would like to win a copy of Facebook Fairytales, just leave a comment sharing a Facebook experience with us. If you won't touch Facebook with a ten-foot pole, that is OK too, just let us know. Everyone entered by midnight on April 15th will be entered into the drawing!

4 out of 5 stars



14 comments:

JoAnn said...

I've had fun reconnecting with my old high school crowd, too... no need to enter me.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Sometimes it's fun to get re-acquainted with people from your past. FB has helped me with that a few times. Gayle at Everyday I Write The Book liked this one as well. I will probably read it if I run into a copy.

Andreea said...

I am not on FB as I actually don't like these networking sites. But I am glad that you have a positive experience with it! No need to enter me.

Unknown said...

I loved facebook a few years ago. It allowed me to connect with a lot of old school/work friends that I hadn't seen for ages. I used to log on every day and spend hours browsing. I joined visual bookshelf and it is partly thanks to that facebook application that I started blogging. I have now become a bit bored with facebook. I don't log on much and am fed up of people planting flowers/throwing shiny robots at each other. I also don't like the way companies are started to get on there - it was nice when it was just a friendship tool.

I am interested in FB stories - it is nice to read something light and hopeful every now and again!

Anna said...

No need to enter me. Just wanted to say that I've only recently begun to "hang out" on Facebook. Just yesterday a cousin I haven't seen in several years friended me, and we've been chatting it up. I connected with my BFs from grammar school, too. It's been fun.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

bermudaonion said...

I do remember your Facebook story! I've stayed away from FB because I'm afraid it will be a major time suck and I just don't need that.

Susan said...

At first I was resistant to FB, but once I figured out how to set the privacy settings, it was much better. And for people who throw all the crap at everybody on their friend list, it's simple, just Hide them.

The best thing for me is that it has brought me closer to some family members from my dad's side whom I hadn't had contact with in 20+ years. They've been able to fill in a lot of the gaps in stories for me and my son who is a genealolgist.

And I love playing Lexulous!

Margot said...

I'm one of those people who was hiding under a rock. But two months ago I signed up for a FB account and I'm happy I did. I still don't know what I'm doing. I could use a good book that tells me how to use it to the fullest. (I know it's probably all online somewhere.)

My family is scattered all over the place and this has been a fun way to keep in touch. It's those family members 30+ years younger than me that have dragged me into it. They got me with this line: "Come on, Aunt Margot. If you can write a blog, you can surely handle Facebook." My pride pushed me into it.

Zibilee said...

I haven't much gotten into the groove of FB. I do have an account and have made contact with a bunch of people, but I rarely ever visit the site and leave comments. I know that I could probably do a lot of neat things with it, I just haven't started yet! Thanks for the great review. I am glad to hear that you were able to connect with so many old friends!

Iliana said...

Why am I not surprised by this book! I can't say I'm a facebook fan even if I do have my own page. I hardly ever use it. I think I'm afraid I'd get addicted - haha...

No need to enter me in the contest but I enjoyed your review!

Bonnie said...

What a great story that you were able to reconnect with high school friends. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend so recently but it sounds like you were able to reconnect before her death. I've just been on Facebook for about a year and have reconnected with many old school friends. We're having a reunion this summer and there is lots of info there. I've also connected to family that are overseas and an old penpal from Australia.

This sounds like a chicken soup for the sould kind of book. Thanks for the giveaway.

Melody said...

It's great finding old friends/classmates via FB, isn't it? Thanks for the review, Sandy! No need to enter me.

Heidenkind said...

And here I thought FaceBook was just for wasting time on stupid games.

Jenners said...

I guess I'm not using Facebook right!!! : )