Saturday, April 10, 2010

24 Hour Read-a-thon: Hour 1 and Mini Challenge



Good morning friends and read-a-thoners! Well, hour 1 has passed and we are just now getting down to business. The kids slept in, and then my husband insisted he feed us a hearty breakfast for energetic reading! Frankly, I haven't come down from my cloud of the Adult Literacy League last night, and finally meeting the wonderful Connie May Fowler! But that is a story for another day. We have reading to do.

So the first mini challenge asks us about our TBR stack for the read-a-thon. I figure the best idea would be to take a picture of not only my stack, but my kids as well. And of course the special brownies that I made this morning, inspired by Candace's "Brownies of the Rich and Famous" post.

















I've officially got six books in my stack, plus one that I am about halfway through. I know I won't read them all, but they are all generally short, so I am hoping to knock out a few

As far as goals, I have none! I am determined to defeat my high-strung, over-achieving ways and just chill. Because my kids are part of the equation, my only goal is to make this a fun and positive experience for them and not lose my cool! We have set up down at my parents' house, which has less distractions. We have a white board, where we will keep track of all of our books and pages read. We have sleeping bags and all of our books at the ready!

















This is the first time I have participated in the read-a-thon, so I am shooting from the hip. I'm stocked up on easy meals and snacks and drinks. We are planning on taking breaks, going to church later in the day, and maybe taking a walk. I'll check back in later, gators!

16 comments:

Harvee said...

My first time as well for thye Read-a-Thon. Good luck! Here's are my books for the Read-a-Thon.

Julie P. said...

Good luck! I'll be rooting for you!

JoAnn said...

How did you get those 'special' brownies made so fast??? Have fun today - love your set-up!

Anonymous said...

Traditional read-a-thon blessing:

May the bookshelf be there to greet you.
May all the books appeal.
May the fridge be full of tasty snacks;
the words fall soft upon your eyes and until the read-a-thon ends,
may you always hold a book in the palm of your hand.

Good luck today!

Anonymous said...

OK, Sandy, those brownies look way too good and I bet they taste better than my oatmeal, although it was good. I'm refilling my coffee and throwing in a load of laundry. Have fun with your family!!

Unknown said...

I love your set-up! It looks as though you and your kids have everything set up nicely - good luck!

caite said...

sleeping bags? I would need something to keep me awake!
my niece is a "gator"...

Nise' said...

Great to see the whole family reading. Those brownies look deliciouse. Guess it is time for me to eat breakfast! Have a great time.

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like you're well prepared! Have a great day in books!

After you catch your breath, I want a full report on last night.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

You are going to have so much fun today Sandy. I look forward to reading your updates

Frances said...

Who's an awesome mom? Well, you are! Getting your kids involved is a great idea. Frees you up to participate and gets them doing something great for themselves as well. You rock.

Kathleen said...

I'm cheering you on and am so happy your kids are doing it with you. That is an awesome experience that they will remember when they have kids! And those brownies are making me hungry!!

Gavin said...

I am so glad you are doing the read-a-thon, and to have your kids with you is a real treat!

Beth F said...

How fun to do this with the family. And just how special were those brownies!!!

Alice said...

You were so very well prepared, Sandy! Doing this with the family made it so much more fun!

Serena said...

Wow, you are better prepared than I was! I hope you had a great time. I'm catching up in google reader again...as you can tell.