Saturday, April 10, 2010

24 Hour Read-a-thon: Mid-Event Survey Mini Challenge


We are officially half-way through our 24 Hour Read-a-Thon! I suspect the next 12 won't be quite as productive as the first 12. In fact, I have to be on the road by 8am tomorrow morning to meet a friend for shopping in Sarasota - a 2 hour trip! It is going to be fun, but how fried am I going to be??? Anyway, since this is kind of a mile-marker, and the challenge only requires me to answer some questions, I'm in. Here they are:

1. What are you reading right now?

I am reading Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, page 78 out of 228. Emma is reading The Purloined Boy by Mortimus Clay. Ryan is reading something Hardy Boys.

2. How many books have you read so far?

We have each finished one book and are variable stages throughout the second.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?

I hate to sound negative, but I think I will be lucky to finish the one I'm reading right now. I will attempt, however to also read A Painter's Life by Kenneth Dixon. He sent the book to me months ago, and I really owe him a review!

4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?

Since we are on Spring Break, we really had no commitments except for church. I informed my husband that he would be on his own for the day, and he didn't complain...he is working on taxes and he needed the peace and quiet.

5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?

We have had many interruptions, as you might imagine with a 10 year old and a 12 year old. They got hungry. They fought. I showered and went to church. But I just went with it. Interruptions aren't necessarily a bad thing.

6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?

How freaking unproductive I have been! You would think, 12 hours into this thing, that I would have read several books. But between life and the blogging, I am moving at a snail's pace.

7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

Since I am a newbie, I am afraid I have no words of wisdom for you. I think you are all amazing, and this whole event has been very well organized!

8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?

Even though the kids have been a source of frustration, I wouldn't change it for the world. I hope they walk away from this event with positive memories of our "camp out". Perhaps I should stay away from the computer a little more?

9. Are you getting tired yet?

Just a little fuzzy. I was nodding off around 3:00, but I'm back up and running after a break and dinner. I have vowed that I will not drink wine this evening!

10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?

Maybe make Candace's special brownies? Actually, I don't think I'm going to be the poster child of the read-a-thon this time, based on some of the stats I've seen on other blogs.


OK, I'm headed back to the book. See you soon!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Readers rule
Readers rock
As the hour grows late
I wouldn’t be reading any John Locke

Staci said...

I feel like I've moved at a snail's pace this time around too...oh well...we're still having fun right??

Cheering you on!

Kathleen said...

I think you are doing great and sharing this experience with your children is priceless. Too bad you can't drink wine but I suppose it would make you sleepy!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I feel really unproductive too. Keep it up!

Margot said...

It looks like you and your children are doing great. I just got Knots and Crosses from the library. I've heard nothing but good things about Ian Rankin and I had to see for myself. Hope it's good.

Happy Reading.

Jenners said...

Wasn't it harder than you thought? I found that out too .. I thought it would be a lark and then I felt like I was slogging toward the end. I love that you made it a family event though!

Serena said...

Did you have a good time? that's all that matters...I hope that you all do it again in October...Anna, myself, and the girl could challenge you guys...see what group can read the most!