Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wordless Wednesday



This is my last installment of lighthouses. It is the Cape St. George lighthouse, and has a little story. If you've been following me for awhile, you know that my favorite place on earth is St. George Island, and have been vacationing there for over a decade. One year, we hired a friendly hippy-ish captain guy to take us out shelling on some of the uninhabited islands nearby. This lighthouse was on one of them. It was not operational and not maintained. At the time, it almost seemed haunted. I cannot find pictures from that trip unfortunately, a fact I find quite distressing. A year or two later, it fell down in the middle of a hurricane. The local community lovingly collected all of its fragments and put it back together on the populated St. George Island, right next to where we stayed last Thanksgiving. In fact, its grand re-opening was that weekend, and a huge number of people showed up to climb to the top. They have a passionate group of people that love their Cape St. George, and have put their lives on hold to bring this beautiful structure back to life.

So I guess I wasn't so wordless today. That is the story of my life...

11 comments:

Melody said...

Wow, that's one story, Sandy! I'm glad they rebuilt the lighthouse, it'd be a pity if they didn't.

Awwww... you mean this is your last lighthouse pic?! :(

ds said...

I'm glad you weren't wordless; that's a great story. I'll miss the lighthouses, though...

Literary Feline said...

That's an amazing story, Sandy! And a beautiful lighthouse.

The Bumbles said...

Wordless is relative. For me, your post would be super short. Keep those lighthouses coming in the future as you find more. And I see kitty is in a new pose - I had fallen in love with the last one - looks just like our kitty except all black vs. all white.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Melody - I know! That is it for my lighthouses. And sadly, I don't know the next time I will have the opportunity to seek out another one.

ds - wordless is a tough call for me on a good day! No more lighthouses for now, but I will continue to hunt them when I can!

Wendy - thanks!

Bumbles - yes kitty has changed poses! I tried to put various pictures along the top that I got on thee web, but I couldn't get them to stretch all the way across, so you got more of Casper!

caite said...

I'll try to pick up your lighthouse mantle as the summer progresses. I have a few more in NJ and then I will have to leave the state again in search of new ones.

lighthouse people do love their lighthouses, so it does not surprise me that they wanted to rebuild it.

Btw, I did not know where St. George Island was (hmmm...not that far from my niece) so I had to Google it . Not a good place to be in a hurricane, it would seem

Beth F said...

Great story!! Thanks. And I like your new kitty photo, too.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Caite - yes, please do that! I'd love to see your lighthouses! I need to do some research, but I am hoping I can find one or two that would possibly be a day trip for the kids and I over the summer. I know there is one in Sanibel, and one in the Keys, but that is way too far for us! St. George is heaven on earth. No highrises. Just some beach houses on stilts, and a few cool places to shop and eat. I want to retire there. But there are those hurricanes...

Beth - I found a picture of the Cape St. George Lighthouse before it fell down on the internet. I wanted to put it on my blog banner, but couldn't figure out how to get it to stretch all the way across the top. Any hints?

Darlene said...

GReat story but I'm sad this will be your last lighthouse pic. I've really enjoyed them.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Will you do another series of pics for Wordless Wednesdays? If not lighthouses, what??!

And I like the new header photo too. I always say I must be part cat ... I can nap anywhere. Put me in a chair in a sunny window and I'm a goner (that makes me sound really old, I'm just really tired!)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Dar - thanks!

Dawn - You know, that is an interesting question. I couldn't do a series on too many things, but perhaps beaches, animals, Poland...I will give it some thought!