Sunday, April 19, 2009

Let's have a moving party for Carrie!


One of my most favorite bloggers is Carrie of Books and Movies. We have been supportive friends via our blogs and on Facebook. The big news for Carrie is that over her Spring Break, instead of frolicking and reading books, she moved her blog to a new site...a courageous move! The move was motivated by her frustration with the limitations and mandatory marketing by today.com, and she made the judgement call to move her site to the one I have currently linked to above. The downside is that her old blog site would not let her communicate one last time to her followers. If you love her site, as I am sure you do, please spread the word and let everyone you know that she has moved.

To commemorate her move, Carrie will be hosting a blog-warming giveaway sometime next week. Please let everyone know, so they can all welcome her to her new home.


I thought this would be the perfect time to do a feature on Carrie. Let's get to know her:


Carrie grew up in Sedro Woolley, Washington with her three sisters. After high school graduation, she got her AA degree from Skagit Valley College in Mt. Vernon. She then transferred to Pullman, where she studied theater and music at Washington State University. She left after her junior year, and didn't finish her degree. Too many student loans, too much partying, and no idea what she would do with a theater degree after graduation!! (Sounds pretty familiar Carrie! Who knows what they are going to do at that age!)

After her college experience, she moved to Vancouver, Washington where she worked as a nanny and got her real estate license. That is where she met Kevin, the love of her life, and got married in 1995 - they just celebrated their 14th anniversary on March 31st. A year and a half later, after their wedding, they had Natalie. When Natalie was six months old, they moved to a little town north of Spokane Washington, which is where they live today.

She has four kids, very adorably pictured above and below. Natalie is 12, Noah is 10, Jonathan is 9 and Josiah is 7. The picture above was taken Bonneville Dam fish hatchery on the Columbia River. The picture below was taken in the shark's jaw at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Oregon. Carrie home schools all four of her kids and does freelance writing in her spare time.


One thing that might surprise you about Carrie is the fact that she loves to act. When she was in college, she appeared in Shakespeare's "A Comedy of Errors" and "Love's Labour Lost", the musicals "Once Upon a Mattress" and "Anything Goes" and other plays, including "Steel Magnolias". What I would give to have seen Carrie perform any of these! I'm sure she rocked!

Not only is Carrie a prolific reader, she also knows her movies (hence her blog title). She also maintains a personal blog titled Mommy Brain that journals her homeschooling journey. (If we could all now bow our heads and take a moment of silence to admire this lady...)

It is my pleasure to know and blog with Carrie. Again, please spread the word about Carrie's move. Once you get to know her, you won't be able to live without her!




10 comments:

Melody said...

What a lovely post dedicated to Carrie! I'll check out her blog in a moment. Thanks for the shout out, Sandy! :)

ds said...

Well,I'll certainly hop on over and check her out: books and movies, yippee! How does she find the time, homeschooling 4 kids??? (you're right, we should all bow down)

Kim said...

Hi Sandy, what a great blog you have, my first visit here! I love the TBR Challenge idea and the thoughtful 'You Don't Say' awards and I have only just begun to scroll through your blog. I will also check on Carrie's new home because you praise her so highly. No doubt I will be in touch again, now I have found you. See you here or at Simon's place.

Carrie K. said...

Sandy, I have tears in my eyes. You are such a sweet, sweet lady - thank you so much for putting the time and effort into this post. You've made my day! And I couldn't do without your blog, either.)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Melody - I honestly thought everybody read Carrie's blog, but if not, you will be soon! She is awesome!

ds - Seriously, I would be in the nuthouse if I tried to homeschool mine. And she has four of them! And from my perspective, she really seems to have it together. I'm amazed!

Kim - Thank you so much for coming by! I hope you stay and stay! I appreciate your comments, and knowing that you came from Simon, I know already that you are a super cool lady!

Carrie - hey, what are friends for, huh? I did have to really focus when I was doing this post, as I had been at a friend's house drinking margharitas all day. Whew!

Beth F said...

Super highlight post. Carrie's blog is on my daily rounds, and it is great to learn more about her! Great post.

Unknown said...

It is so great to see all the information about Carrie - I didn't know any of it. It is so nice to know a bit more about the person behind the blog.

Thank you for letting me know she's moved.

Darlene said...

Great post. It was nice to get to know Carrie better. I already saved her new address the other day.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Beth - I saw your weekly links with Carrie's new address. A few others had it too. I'm glad. I don't want anyone to lose her!

Jackie - I love getting to know more about my fellow bloggers too! I had a ball doing yours. I keep telling myself I need to do it more often.

Dar - That is great. Hopefully, not only will Carrie carry all of her fans with her, she will gain a few more!

Iliana said...

What a terrific feature! It's always fun to get to know members of our blogging community a bit better. I do visit Carrie's blog and just saw that she had moved. Good for her and looking forward to the moving party :)