Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Falling Stars



I'm a little late on posting this weekly meme, as I was en route to Indiana this morning. On the bright side, my sister, the movie guru, is here with me, so on the ride back from the airport to my parent's house, I drew on her knowledge to help with this week's topic.

Which is all about Falling Stars. Now we can all easily come up with those stars that started out in obscurity and rose to amazing accomplishments...Tom Hanks and George Clooney to name a couple. But what about the ones who've obviously hooked up with a bad agent and have lost their edge? I won't copy from The Bumbles, who named Joe Pesci, Kevin Costner and the best one of all, Nicholas Cage. I loved him in Adaptation, Moonstruck and Leaving Las Vegas. What the hell happened? Bangkok Dangerous??? Someone is leading down a very bad path! Anyway, here are the ones that came to my mind:


Robert DeNiro - I believe he is one of the best actors of our time. Cape Fear, The Godfathers, The Deer Hunter, Goodfellas, The Awakening, The Taxi Driver? You can't find better cinema. But lately, I have to doubt his choices. Yes, the Fockers is pretty funny, but there have been a string of flops, like Righteous Kill, What Just Happened, Analyze This, Analyze That, etc. It is very depressing.

Al Pacino - To me, this is pretty much the same deal for me as DeNiro. The Godfathers, Scent of a Woman, Scarface, Sea of Love, Dog Day Afternoon...this man could do no wrong. You can't convince me just because he is older, the best thing he could find was Righteous Kill, 88 Minutes, and the Merchant of Venice! Come back to us, baby! We've almost lost you!

Shirley MacLaine - She had a long roll of good stuff way back when. My personal favorites are Being There, Steel Magnolias and Terms of Endearment. Perusing her latest work gives us some TV movies, Rumor Has It and Bewitched? Shame on her! I'm wondering if her new age jag sunk her ship?

John Malkovich - There was a time when I would watch anything this guy was in, without question. He is so deliciously creepy and twisted, and he would make any movie he graced that much better. In the Line of Fire and Dangerous Liaisons are two very good examples. When I saw him playing a bad guy on my kids' DVD of Eragon, I decided he must be pretty hard up.

I'm sure there are more out there! Please share!

6 comments:

The Bumbles said...

I couldn't bring myself to type out DeNiro's name in our post - I love him so. But he sure has done a ton of crap. It is almost like once he found that he could do humor well in Midnight Run and Meet the Fockers he got all sidetracked away from the quality dramatic roles he excels at.

And we wracked our brains and could not for the life of us come up with an actress - so I congratulate you on thinking of Shirley. I think it is because Hollywood turns their back on actresses once they get to a certain age so they don't have a lot of options to make poor decisions with.

Matt said...

I certainly like DeNiro's older movies, especially Taxi Driver and Godfathers. He was good in Heat as well.

No comment on Nicholas Cage.

Literary Feline said...

I didn't make it in time to post for today, unfortunately. Hopefully next week!

I really like all the actors you mention and hope that they will land something good again one of these days.

Daisy said...

DeNiro was in my list but I had to change it to Brendan Fraser. Now that is somebody who made tons of crappy films! LOL

And yeah John Malkovich. Where is he now?

Sandy Nawrot said...

Bumbles - I did hesitate in putting DeNiro on here, but he and Pacino have been bothering me for some time! I do very much love them though! I know that Hollywood has a bad habit of shunning the older ladies, so that even makes me more admiring of Streep and Mirren!

Matt - haha! Cage defies comment, doesn't he?

Wendy - I just about missed this one too! It is usually the first thing I do of a Monday morning, but I was running around like a zombie chicken, trying to get packed!

Daisy - I thought of Brendan. My only issue was that I couldn't think of anything actually respectable he had done to allow for a downhill slide!

Iliana said...

Oh good call on DeNiro and Pacino. Two of my favorites but recent films of theirs have left me wondering what the heck happened!

Of course now I'm coming up blank and can't think of anyone else to name! Ha.