Friday, October 12, 2012

Unlikely Friendships - Jennifer S. Holland

I've seen reviews of this book everywhere, I've seen the book in bookstores, and every time I have to stop and allow myself a moment to feel all mushy and happy.  There is no need to analyze anything in this book, second-guess plots or pick apart characterization.  This book was put on this earth to raise spirits.  Period.

I was more than thrilled to be offered this book at SIBA by Workman Publishing.  It literally MADE MY DAY.  I carried the book around in my arms for a better part of the afternoon, touching it and opening it to random pages.  Instant stress relief.



In this book that is therapy applied to the page, there are 47 stories of unique pairings of animals.  They are friends, these little guys.  The hunters and the hunted snuggle together in the wild, like a leopard and a cow in India.  Or a snake and a hamster in Japan!  Can you imagine?  Others are just...bizarre, like an iguana and a cat, or a dog and a koi fish.  What on earth could a dog and a fish have in common, I have no idea, but they like to hang out apparently.      




Some come together temporarily for comfort and warmth, when they are rescued from a forest fire, or when a baby is separated from or abandoned by it's mother.  Like the Bobcat kitten and the fawn, or the mothering mutt and the red panda cubs.  Other friendships extend over years and years, for no real reason except for companionship.  Like the Asiatic black bear and the black cat, or the nearsighted deer and the poodle.  Honestly, I almost can't stand it, it is so flipping sweet.     




The book is something you can read casually, whenever you need a bright spark in your day.  Or you can consume it in a few hours like I did, and drive your family crazy by screaming "...and look at this one!  Awww, and this one!  Oh, and this one!".  It is a book you will keep out on your coffee table, ready and waiting to be picked up and loved by your friends and family.  I can give you my personal guarantee that there isn't a human on this earth that has half a heart that could resist this book.  Promise.

5 out of 5 stars    


13 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I got this as a gift to give someone else, and am so sorry now I gave it away! (Or didn't get two of them!)

caite said...

Ok, I have a weakness for cute animal pictures. I blames the darn Internet, with all those darn kitties and puppies. Now put a couple of them together..it is not FAIR!

bermudaonion said...

I loved this book too. I did the same thing, insisting Carl look every time a picture was especially sweet - which was just about every time.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Ooh, I know what a friend is getting for Christmas! She forwards me emails along these lines constantly -- she will flip when she sees this, I'm sure!

Ana S. said...

Okay, clearly I NEED this book. I'll keep it on my coffee table and dip into it whenever I'm sad.

JoAnn said...

I definitely NEED this one, especially seeing the picture of the greyhound!

Jenners said...

Awwwwwww! I want.. But I truly doubt anyone furry can be friends with a fish.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I've seen this several times in bookstores already and have purposely not picked it up. I'm a sucker for emotional animal pics...oh well, now I'll have to go back and buy it ;)

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I love pictures of different animals all together.

Marie Cloutier said...

This looks so adorable. It's been very popular at the bookstore and I'm sure I'd love it :-)

Jeane said...

I am definitely going to get this book someday! Every day one of my highlights is looking at all the adorable critters on cute overload or zooborns.

Zibilee said...

I NEED THIS BOOK! It is possibly the sweetest and most warm-fuzzy inducing book in all of history. Nature holds some amazing surprises, you know what I mean?

Julie P. said...

Awwwww.... I bet your daughter loves it too!