Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday Salon: Political Lent

 Good morning my friends and fellow bloggers!  Another busy week on this end, including Homecoming Week and dance for my daughter, a 9 mile run with my running partner, a 5K on Saturday, and another blowout football game (36-0) for my son.  On the flip side, I did have one day this week where my husband implored me to "take the day off from working out before you collapse", since it really is generally a 7-day-a-week thing these days.  So I cleaned the house and then just...took a nap.  Sometimes I need to be smacked out of my fervor.

*Beginning of rant *  I did want to mention (not the first time, I'm sorry) that I am fed up with the election.  As one of the swing states, we are battered with these awful TV ads (and mailings, and rallys), rarely with any of them making any points about the issues (and if they do, they seem to all contradict each other, so somebody's lying).  Then there was that debate, which, no comment.  So last night after a glass of wine and one of my husband's drinks, I read the 30,000th freaking Facebook political statement, and I threw a momma fit.  I'm turning off Facebook for the next month.  There are people...they know who they are...who post something nasty and slanderous every 23.5 minutes on FB.  Do they really THINK they are going to change my mind?  Really?  Or are they just taking pleasure in being obnoxious?  So in order to preserve my sanity and these friendships, I'm observing a Political Lent until after the election.  I love all my FB friends, but I'd really like to hear what they are doing, see pictures of their garden or their families, not having my nose rubbed in hate and snark.  I know it is a free country people, but please, check yourself.  This election has divided this country like I've never seen before.  Those at the helm of both sides should be ashamed of themselves.  *Rant over*

So in the reading department, I absolutely blew through Emily Giffin's audio of "Where We Belong" which was the selection for this month's book club.  I would NOT have chosen such a book to read, so I was pleasantly surprised that while the plot was completely unrealistic and way too predictable, it was a pleasant, easy read.  It soothed my brain.  I'm now almost half-way through "Shine Shine Shine".  You all know I love Joshilyn Jackson, who narrates this one.  Her voice and mannerisms are delightful, and she makes me laugh.  But the plot is really confusing to me.  I'm struggling, but I'm determined to make it through.  

In the category of physical books, I finished Nesbo's "Phantom" the night before I was due to post my review.  That was close!  Been awhile since I've cut it that close.  I'm now about half-way through "The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D." by Nichole Bernier, and it has been an engrossing, thought-provoking read so far.  

So, next weekend is Dewey's Readathon!  And I'm just thinking about it now.  We have STUFF going on all day Saturday, but I'm thinking that I could at least do some concentrated reading that evening.  If I withdraw myself to my mom's house next door, that helps too.  Something to think about!  Are any of you participating?

There is a high chance of relaxation today, after a run and some church.  Floating, reading.  A girl can at least try right?  

   

22 comments:

bermudaonion said...

So, you don't think cleaning house is a workout? lol

I know what you mean about politics - it's all negative these days. Tell me something good for a change.

I'm glad someone's football game went well - ours sure didn't - and I hope the dance did too!

Jenny said...

I've considered the same thing about taking a break from FB. I have some friends where it's not just what they have to say but they also are spamming my news feed with list after post after post. It's crazy!

Megan said...

I guess Pennsylvania is not as much of a battleground state as the last election because we are not being tortured quite so heavily. Only a random few of my Facebook friends even care about politics, so it's mostly a safe zone for me, but it sounds like you'll definitely be better turning all yours off until the smoke clears!

I'm looking forward to getting some good reading done next week during the Readathon. Hope you get a chance to, too!

Trisha said...

Facebook is worse than the tv, and that is saying something. I have a few friends who are so flammatory, obnoxious, and fevered about the whole election that I can barely read their updates without getting flustered (especially if what they are writing is blatantly untrue). I now work very hard to just run my eyes passed their names.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. I follow politics the way other people follow baseball. Unfortunately, I fell like I'm always the Cubs fan in the room.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about the politics. It's exhausting and I don't even pay attention to it. Luckily for me I DVR everything on TV so I don't watch any of the commercials.

annieb said...

I'm with you about the nastiness of the politics and I don't even have television (only Netflix streaming) or participate in Facebook. You would think I would be pretty insulated, but no, there are endless robocalls, mailers, and emails from friends with totally different feelings from mine. I also live in a swing state and I am appalled by the tone of the PACs and the campaigns as well as some of my family and friends. It will soon be over, but can the damage really be mended?

Anonymous said...

I pretty much feel the same way about the politics. Surely, we've all decided by now which way we're voting, so what's the point? I would be interested in actual discussion of pertinent issues, but I haven't heard any. I was planning to look up the debate, which I missed, on YouTube. But after hearing about the debate, I probably won't bother.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear the politics is getting you down. Things are much more low key here in the UK - I'm glad I don't have to endure what you do.

I hope you get to enjoy a relaxing read. Sounds wonderful!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Mississippi is not a very important state when it comes to elections, but I'm sick of the propaganda too...so I can only imagine what you have to deal with. Nobody is telling me what I want to know anyway...all they want to do is talk negative about the other guy. And, as far as I'm concerned, they're all lying...about something. I don't trust any of them.

Alyce said...

I don't mind political news, but a lot of the things posted on facebook are just nonsense, so I've taken to hiding the political posts. We have hardly had any political ads where I live, but then we aren't a swing state.

It's nice that your husband knows when you need a break. I did the readathon once and was incredibly burnt out for weeks afterward. I would like to participate again (and pace myself - take breaks more often) but we have some cub scout stuff planned next weekend. While I would love to beg off them and just read, I doubt that's an option. :)

Jenners said...

I hear you on the annoying FB friends and their political posts. I'm ignoring them for now but it does make me think less of them.

Good for your husband making you take a break. You don't want to overdo it.

Carrie K. said...

Oh, I know what you mean about the politics on FB! I am so sick of it, too - I have many friends on both sides of the political aisle, and so get the extreme opinions and nasty photo-shopped stuff all the time. Ugh.

I just started Unfinished Work on audio - it's good so far, and I'm enjoying the narrator, though I can't remember her name right now.

I had trouble with Shine Shine Shine, too - although I love Joshilyn's reading. It just wasn't my thing.

Beth F said...

I haven't been overwhelmed but I don't watch much commercial TV and I don't hang out on FB. I try to stay engaged in politics as a concerned citizen but it's so hard not to just get angry.

Heidenkind said...

I'm in a swing state, too, and I CANNOT WAIT until the election is over! Gahhhhhhh.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Gee I don't see all that on Facebook. I feel kind of left out. Maybe my friends are the silent types. Or apolitical types. Drat!

(Oh we'll, not to worry. I get my share from FAMILY!!! LOL)

Zibilee said...

I am glad to find out the nest book club read! I missed the meeting due to the hubby's birthday and me not finishing the book! I also don't like all the mud slinging. It's getting very ugly, and I just can't stand it. I am planning on participating in the readathon this Saturday, but will be taking a break in the evening because the kids are working on a play for school and they need an audience. I hope you have a great week!

Unknown said...

I'm just skimming a lot of fb, politics is interesting, but I don't wish to debate.
It's Family weekend at UNF so no readathon for me. Ill be cheering all of you on!

Julie P. said...

I ran a 5K too this weekend but not the 9 mile run. You are insane!

And I'm so glad PA is no longer in contention for the election!

Literary Feline said...

I'm right there with you with the political rants. On Twitter. On Facebook. On TV. In the mail. I can't wait for the election to be over.

I am glad you enjoyed Emily Giffin's book. I have never read her before.

There's a readathon coming up? I can't participate, but I'm sure I'll be hearing all about it. LOL

Have a great week!

Marion said...

I finished Emily Giffin`s book on the plane flight from Auckland, New Zealand to Los Angeles, I enjoyed it in all its predictableness. We spent the last 5 days of our stay in Denver, Colorado which is also a crucial state and I could not believe the Political Advertisements, they are mind numbing and many of them you simply wouldn`t get away with broadcasting down here, you are not allowed as strange as it may seem to say nasty things about your opponent on a personal level! Picked up some great reads while I was in the various states I visited.

Anonymous said...

Political Lent is a most excellent idea. HB has a brother who likes to send uninformed political emails and another brother who actually writes very eloquent replies shooting down all of older brother's arguments. HB finally sent an email that it was time to focus on the more important things...beer.