Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Salon: Go Back to the Mothership, Aliens

 I'll admit, I'm cheating a little here.  I'm not typing this on Sunday morning, I'm typing it at 9:00 on Saturday night.  I decided to try a little read-a-thoning this evening after a long day of kid activities, and I know there is no way I'll be up early enough to write anything civilized.  I needed a little reading break anyway.

This has been a busy week (Don't I sound like a broken record every Sunday??).  I had a child home sick for 3.5 days, and even though he is fairly self-sufficient, he still requires occasional watering and feeding.  I had some meetings at school.  My daughter had a Cross Country meet after school on Wednesday. Plus all that normal stuff (football practices, workouts, etc.).  Another CC meet on Saturday, another football game (last of the season, another shut out, and we are headed into playoffs as the #1 seed).  

I had a phenomenal 9-mile run on Saturday morning.  I have been experimenting with the routine, and I may have found something that works for these longer runs.  Pasta and no alcohol the night before, an early night to bed, lots of water before bed and the next morning, getting up early enough for real food (steel cut oatmeal, half a banana), and some cooler weather.  I've also been using these energy gels at the one-hour mark, and also hiding water in somebody's bushes at the one-hour mark (the kids think this is just bizarre but is totally necessary).  I don't know, maybe the moons were just aligned, but I felt great.  We will continue to run 9 for the month of October, then tackle mile 10 in November.  You guys probably don't care too much about this, but I'm learning a lot about the training process and I'm feeling chatty about it.  May do a post on it at some point, because I have some great books on the subject.

I've also had some distraction and stress this week from teenager-dom.  Lots of drama and angst and rage and emotion all came pounding down this week at the same time and I'm really pretty tired from it.  So when do the aliens leave their bodies, give me my children back and return to the mothership?  Holy moly people.  I'm like a wet, sad, discarded dishrag.

So my reading is limping along.  I finished "Shine Shine Shine" on audio.  I'm still processing that one.  I loved Joshilyn Jackson as the narrator, but still shaking my head over the story, and not sure I totally get it.  I'm now about halfway through the amazing Amanda Kyle Williams' second installment in her murder mystery series called "The Stranger in the Room".  I'm totally digging her style.  

In print, I wrapped up "The Unfinished Life of Elizabeth D." by Nichole Bernier, and am currently working my way through the delightfully creepy "The House Next Door" by Anne Rivers Siddons.  I think I was convinced to scare the crap out of myself and read this by the effervescent Raych.  No one can do a sales job like her.  And what a book, but I'm not so sure I should be sitting at my parents' house, in the quiet and dark, reading about a house that kills.  But maybe I'm just being a weenie.

Plans for tomorrow?  Church, to exorcise all the evil brought upon me by this book.  Driving my daughter to the animal shelter (because my presence is no longer desired).  A little run maybe.  And some sleeping.  

And now back to malevolent televisions and dead puppies.

    

17 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Let's so, you should get your kids back senior year of high school or freshman year of college - although it could be a little earlier with your son. Now that I think of it, it might be sophomore year of college.

Have you thought of getting a camelbak for when you do long runs?

JoAnn said...

You're in for a few more years of 'aliens'... sorry ;-)

Carrie K. said...

I'm sorry you're dealing with teenage angst - it's not easy! I find it comes in waves.

You must be one proud mama over your son's football team - that's fantastic!

And I write my Sunday Salon on Saturday night every week - ssshhh, don't tell anyone!

Anonymous said...

I like reading about your running. Not that I plan on doing any of my own, but at least it gets my butt to the gym.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have been told by my mother that the aliens leave at age 30! I hope she is wrong and they leave much sooner than that!

I hope your Sunday is better and the drama has subsided!

Alyce said...

Ugh! I am not looking forward to the teen drama! My kids are only 8 and 11, and I see these flashes of attitude that don't bode well for the future. I know looking at my own family and my in-laws, for most of them it was within a year or two of being independent (away from home) that things got better. It's amazing how having to do everything for yourself gives you a new appreciation for parents. I think it all comes full circle though when the next generation of kids is born. I felt like I finally understood my parents when I had my own kids.

My kid took one day off from school this week and even with that was worried about getting behind on his pre-algebra. I don't know if I want to think about how hectic it will be when the courses get tougher in high school.

I hope everyone in your family has good health this week. And congrats on the 9-mile runs!

Unknown said...

I think you've got years of aliens before you begin to see the light again. It was really after that move away to college when my girls began to come back. Nick isn't nearly as moody and emotional as the girls were.
I felt similarly when I finished the audio of Shine Shine Shine, it was quirky...very odd.
I don't aspire to run...but I'm very happy to hear about your training:).

Jenners said...

I'm very impressed with your running progress … and I love that you are hiding water in someone's bushes. Do you drive there and stash it ahead of time? I'm very curious about the logistics of that!

Heidenkind said...

I had a friend who was part of the track team in high school and she was on the same regimen: lots of pasta, lots of water.

Beth F said...

The children will return after a few years ... Hang in there.

Yay you on the running.

Unknown said...

I'm not looking forward to the teenage angst stage. Good luck with it all.

Steph said...

I have 2 teenagers, and I feel your pain, although right now I'm getting more drama from the 8-year-old, who seems to be having precocious mood swings. :-/ I love your wit and sense of humor, Sandy; I'm glad I started following your blog. Congrats on the 9-mile run!!

Zibilee said...

Yay for you for kicking some ass on the training! I know how grueling it can be, and you are doing so, so well. I am very happy for you. Also, lots of teen drama over here too. Will it ever end? I wonder sometimes...

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I think if we just tell ourselves that the teenage drama will never end, we'll be pleasantly surprised when/if it does :/

Alice said...

Hello Sandy! It's been a while... Well, a little cheating in this context is good. Haha!

Julie P. said...

I ran 12 miles on Saturday for the first time -- I honestly feel like I can do a half-marathon. Looking like Disney Princess one is becoming more of a reality!

Melissa said...

You are awesome!! 9 miles!! I'd almost be willing to take up running just to get an hour to myself. :)