Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Salon: The Week of Sandy

 You know, there are weeks that are busy but fly by and you're able to just roll with it, and there are some weeks that just TAKE EVERYTHING OUT OF YOU!!!  That was this week!  It wasn't all bad, just physically and emotionally exhausting.

And honestly, I can't blame Storm Sandy.  (Although I think it is kinda cool to have a storm with my name on it!)  It was really really windy on Friday and Saturday, and my yard and pool look like a battlefield, but negligible rain (it only rained on Friday morning when I wanted to do my long run - thanks a lot.)  I AM seriously thinking about the zillion of my friends up there in the Northeast.  I hope it isn't as bad as the media is surely making it.  But just be safe and make sure you have batteries, water and wine.  

No, actually my week started out with some guy at school backing into my car. Just bumper damage, nobody hurt, but we didn't get a police report because it was so minor, and now the guy is all jerky because he thinks I was trying to steal his parking spot or something.  Which I wasn't.  Either way, dude just threw it in reverse and didn't take a peek into his rearview mirror.  *sigh*  So now I have to deal with insurance, and arguing and all the fun that goes along with crunched fiberglass.

And I got an iPhone 5!  Woo hoo!  Very exciting stuff, once I was able to sync everything up (I only pouted for maybe an hour while I was trying to figure it out, which highly annoyed my husband).  A couple of things that I find to be the coolest is that you can text vocally, thus eliminating my old fat finger mistakes.  And this Siri system!  You can vocally query anything and she has an answer.  I'm starting to worry if she might be as smart as HAL from 2001 Space Odyssey!  And then there is the panorama photography:





Which brings me to The Boy.  He played in his 3rd round playoff football game Wednesday night (under the lights as you can see) and decidedly won 25-0.  So for the second year in a row, he goes to the Citrus Bowl today to vie for the Mid-Florida Championship.  Last year we lost.  This year we go up against the same team and are pretty primed to take some revenge.  I'd be at peace, I think, if this is as far as we got, but wouldn't it be great if they went on to compete for the Southeast Region or National?  So stay tuned.  If he wins today, you might get another post coming at you.  Oh and also, today is his 13th birthday.  My baby is a teenager (although he has been there in spirit and hormones for about 9 months).

A friend from high school was in town for a conference, so I went out to dinner with her on Tuesday night (after shuttling Boy to extra football practice).  I've known this girl since I was in Kindergarten, and I do see her a couple of times a year, but it is always nice to hang with her.  I also had to make an appearance at our annual Chili Cookoff fundraiser at the school.  I wasn't thrilled to go...I was wrung out by Friday night...but I went for a couple of hours, ate chili, and was in bed by 9:00pm.  (My husband couldn't go because my son's coaches were practicing these boys to the moon and back, and he had to pick him up and feed him.)  My husband and I also had dinner out with friends last night.  Naps were required.    

My reading and blogging are pathetic.  I'm trying, I truly am, but it just isn't happening for me.  Oh well.  You will be happy to hear that I did finish "Beautiful Ruins" on the Kindle.  Took me two weeks, but I have so much love for this book, I can't even verbalize it yet.  On audio, I finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" which was very surprising!  Pretty serious and even a little twisty, and I felt affection when I finished.  I'm now most of the way through "City of Women" on audio and, hmmm, not sure what to say.  A little gritty?  Harsh?  Lots of sex?  I'm going to need some inspiration to write that review.

So if you are a lover of youth sports, and have good Karma today, please send a little positive energy down to the Orlando Citrus Bowl for my son's team.  And if you are in the area and want to stop by, kickoff is at 1:00pm.  I'll be the one with my head between my knees.




16 comments:

Beth F said...

Sounds like a rough week. You need to shrug off the pressure to blog ... kids and family and friends need to come first.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Very nice panorama! I can only hope one day to be able to do it also! :--)

Unknown said...

I love the panoramic photo! Sorry to hear you've had to deal with the stress of insurance people - that sort of thing really frustrates me. Hope you have a better week this time.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

You have so much going on, that I get exhausted for you! I don't know how you do it! And as Beth mentioned as well, blog when you can and only when you want to. We're all not going anywhere and blogging should just be for fun anyway!

I'm completely jealous you have the iPhone 5. I still have the 3. The 3!!!

Thank goodness everyone's okay from the bumper damage. Too bad the guy is being that way! Who needs the extra stress.

Will be thinking good thoughts for your Boy today! Good luck!!

JoAnn said...

Yea, How about those movie theater in City of Women... didn't people ever watch the movie??

Carrie K. said...

Your son has had such an amazing football season - I'll be sending prayers his way today! Can't wait to hear how they do.

I have City of Women on my list to read in December, but now I'm not sure....

bermudaonion said...

I am sending positive thoughts your teenagers way. He HAS to win since it's his birthday. (Tell Siri you love her.)

ds said...

Hope you didn't have to keep your head between your knees for long. Happy happy birthday to your son!!! Hope his team does well.
You are giving me serious phone envy...

May this prove to be a less fraught week.

Julie P. said...

Well we've been mentioning "you" a lot these past few days. Hurricane Sandy is majoring messing up our lives. School is already canceled for tomorrow and I expect Tuesday too. So you know I won't be running either of those days. And I took off today because I ran a 5K yesterday after 3 hours of sleep. I'm still trying to recover! LOL!

Alyce said...

Ugh - the school parking lots are the bane of my existence! My husband was shocked the other day when I went to pick up the boys and said I'd be back in an hour. I spend an hour of every afternoon dealing with psycho parents in the parking lots - many of whom think that there should be an exception made (but only for them) to park in the lot entrance - blocking all traffic - until their little angel gets out of school. Makes me want to gesture wildly with my hands in an inappropriate manner (and I am not someone who does that - ever, but boy do I fantasize about it in the parking lot at school).

Anyway, you have my sympathies! I hope the insurance stuff gets worked out soon and easily!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like your week was as busy as mine but you always keep your sense of humor and that always inspires me! Have a great week!

Heidenkind said...

Wow, that's a busy week. I can't believe that guy backed into you!

You should ask Siri to call you Dave. ;)

Melody said...

I hope Hurricane Sandy will go away quickly!!

Yay about iPhone 5!!! I'm still thinking if I should upgrade mine to that.

Alice said...

Congratulations on your iPhone5! Have boatloads of fun with it.

I was on a blogging hiatus for months and was completely off radar.

Ti said...

I am so wiped out. I can relate to everything thing you said here in the way of activities. My Boy's last race is this Thursday but then he goes right into track and field.

Rehearsals are picking up for the show. I had to sew something. ACK! I am a glue-gun gal but resorted to hand sewing and with a numb finger (leftover from the hand) I stabbed myself numerous times but didn't feel it. Bled all over the place.

Jenners said...

Car accidents are the worse … especially when people get nasty.

And I just got my iPhone 5 today! I'm still learning Siri and syncing up all my stuff but I'm really happy with it so far. I need to get a case though. It is so thin and slippery that I'm convinced I'm going to drop it really soon.