Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday Salon: Sharon Springs or Bust

 A fine morning to you all, my lovely friends.  I am so pleased to tell you that on this fine morning, I only have two solid plans for the day...running and church.  Amazing right?  My brain is whizzing all over the place, imagining what I might do.  Catch up on my review writing?  Take my daughter to see Paranormal Activity 4?  Finish reading my book?  Oh the possibilities!

It is has been a normal, busy week.  No rest for the crazy.  The daughter had her cross country practices, PSAT and half day of school on Wednesday (then four hours at the animal shelter), a retreat on Thursday, then promptly fell over in her tracks with the flu.  So no school on Friday, and no Cross Country meet on Saturday.  She was sad, I was sad, but it happens.  My son's football season is still going strong, having played in the 2nd round of playoffs last night and won handily.  I swear, I was nauseous for most of the day, and was tempted to just put my head in my lap while the game was going on.  My son has always been on winning teams in football, but if there was ever a year for him to go farther than he has ever gone before, this would be it.  Our next game is on Wednesday night.  If they win there, they go to the Citrus Bowl like last year.  My poor little nervous heart.

My son also had no school on Friday, so after a long run with my running buddy (long runs are still at 9 miles), I got a pedicure for my aching feet, then he and I went to lunch and to see Argo.  (Review tomorrow.)  My husband and I went to the high school football game Friday night.  Because there was no CC meet to attend, I was able to spin with my BFF Saturday morning.  Lot of naps in there in between. I've discovered I love naps.  Just little ones.  They are rejuvenating.

I've been drifting in and out of this blogging malaise.  One day I love it, the next day I'm tired of it.  But sometimes things happen to make it all worthwhile.  That happened on Thursday, when I posted my review for "The Bucolic Plague" by Josh Kilmer-Purcell.  Josh actually came by and commented, and invited me to come visit he and Brent in Sharon Springs, NY.  So now I am having a fantasy about a road trip, picking up all my interested friends along the way and hanging out with his chickens and goats.  Speak up if you want to come along, and if you live somewhere generally near the path between Florida and New York.

I did a little reading this week, but all I have to say is thank God for audios.  I finished up Amanda Kyle Williams' "Stranger in the Room", and am over halfway through "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.  Which is really a sweet, gentle book and I love it so far.  In print I finished "The House Next Door" by Anne Rivers Siddons, and it was the perfect read for October creepiness.  I wrote my review quick-like, to get it in before Halloween.  I'm now over halfway through "Beautiful Ruins" by Jess Walter.  Can I just say that I love this guy?  This book is incredible, just incredible.  

So I'm off to enjoy my carefree Sunday.  I predict reading, blogging, napping and maybe a movie.

   

17 comments:

Beth F said...

I need to get to Beautiful Ruins, I guess! Sounds like you are reentering sanity. Hope you enjoy your plan-less day.

bermudaonion said...

You know I want to go to Sharon Springs with you! We'll need to take a trailer for all the soap and stuff we'll buy while we're there. Enjoy your day!

JoAnn said...

I am SO definitely in for the Sharon Springs trip - I even promise to read/listen to the book first. Summer or fall would be the best time to visit. You don't want to be anywhere around here in winter, lol!

And while we're at it, Edith Wharton's The Mount is only a couple of hours beyond Sharon Springs. Then we can all come back here and relax by the lake...

I've just moved Beautiful Ruins to the top of my audio list.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You get so much reading done! Just amazing!

Unknown said...

What an offer! Sounds like a great road trip and I'll probably have the free time to join you once my boys leave home. Can I book you in for 12 years time?!

Unknown said...

Are you doing audio of Beautiful Ruins? I'd like to get to it. I hope you enjoy your day....and that your daughter is feeling much better.

Carrie K. said...

Enjoy your (more than usual) low-key day - sounds like you deserve it! I can't wait to read your review of Argo - it looks really good.

Unknown said...

I reviewed their darn book and I didn't get an invitaion to visit! Oh well.

Honestly, I just saw the new version of Wuthering Heights so I'll be staying as far away from farms as I can for a while.

I have been to The Mount and can recommend it highly.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I saw that post where he invited you!!! That was so cool!! I think we've just gotta find our own individual balance with posting...I try not to feel guilty if I don't post for a few days...it's never on purpose; it's bc my head is spinning just trying to keep my head above the water. Thankfully, most bloggers are just like us...they're doing the same and completely get it if you're off radar for a few days at a time :)

Julie P. said...

OMG! How exciting! I am kind of on the way, right? Good job with the 9 mile run! I only did 8 yesterday but I felt really good.

Alyce said...

That is so cool! I'm guessing Oregon is a bit too far out of your way to just "swing by." :) I hope you and your family stay healthy and have a fun week!

Elisabeth said...

Definitely count me in! I saw his post to you too. Don't forget to watch them on The Amazing Race tonight!

I already live in NY so let me know your plans!

Jenners said...

Josh visited your blog!!! How cool. And definitely pick me up on your way up there.

I finished the Harold Fry book and thought it was just going to be a fluff read but it has some deep stuff in there. I was pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous said...

Since you'll be picking up Alyce in Oregon, I'm suddenly not that far out of your way!

Ti said...

You have to figure out a way to work me in for the trip. So Cal is not that much out of the way. Right?

I was so busy this weekend that I didn't have time to post a Sunday Salon post. I am dead on my feet today though and this will be my worst week at work. For sure.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Thank God for audios is right! It's the only way I run. I'm listening to Cloud Atlas now and it's starting to get good. Maybe I can push my runs up to your 9 miles, but after almost two weeks with sporadic attempts because of business travel, I think I'm going to be happy if I can do two miles! Keep it up, Sandy, your running is looking good, so proud of ya!

Alice said...

Running is super cool and I hope you get a great kick out of it. I can't wait for my Bali trip coming up in less than a month. I'm still struggling with audios but I'm happy to note I'm making good progress reacquainting with my blog. Haha!