Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday Salon: Tears

 Good morning my friends!  Well, I know I'm not supposed to wish my life away, but I am glad this week is done.  Things were completely chaotic and my husband was out of town, which never helps when you have to be in three places at once.  It was certainly an emotional week, more than normal.

I don't like to belabor a lot of sadness on the blog, but I have to just say something about an event that happened on Wednesday.  At our school, we lost one of our dads, a 42 year-old who left behind an amazingly courageous wife and two little kids.  He had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma years ago, and fought a great fight, but his passing was not a surprise.  Our school community came together to support this family like I've never seen in the 12 years I've been there.  It was incredibly humbling to see the mountains of food and volunteer hours put forth to pull off a funeral reception in a very short amount of time.  I was so very proud of our community this week, and truly touched.

My foot is not healing all that well, and I am continuing to run, but it is frustrating and pathetic to hobble around, dragging one side like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I should probably just stay off my foot totally, but it is so hard to give up the one thing that is keeping me focused right now!  Anyway, I shed a few tears of pain and irritation over that this week as well.  It just pisses me off is all.  I know I need to put things into perspective.

My third source of waterworks this week was THAT DARNED FABULOUS BOOK "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes.  I listened to it on audio...amazing production by the way...and I honestly thought I'd never recover.  Incredible book, just prepare yourself for an emotional meltdown of the best kind.  

After that adventure in total loss of control, I have recently started Holly Goddard Jones' "Next Time You See Me" on audio.  She is going to be at the UCF Book Festival, and time is ticking so I will have to blast through this one quickly (there was a serious wait list at the library).  In print I finished the new Patti Callahan Henry novel "And Then I Found You" (another UCF highlight) and snuck in the graphic novel "Friends With Boys" before starting my last UCF Book "Sunrise on the Battery" by Beth Webb Hart.  I have been a busy bee.

Is anyone involved in the March Madness?  We have been taking in a game or two, but it was much more intense when we lived in the Midwest.  I mean, in the CPA firm I worked at in Indiana, there would be a TV on in the conference room all day, every day of the tournament.  It was crazy!  I think Indiana University is going to be the Big Ten's best chance this year.

Next week the kids start their spring break on Thursday, and we are out all the following week.  This should be good, once they get past a few pesky tests that mark the end of the quarter.  Do we have plans for spring break?  Yes we do!  But I will wait for next Sunday to tell you about them.  In the meantime, I wish everyone a peaceful day of rest on this Palm Sunday.

          

20 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow, you are whizzing through the books!

bermudaonion said...

What an emotional week! We don't have a dog in the fight so I haven't watched many basketball games. I've been following things and will watch more now that the field has been narrowed down. I think Miami is the ACC's only hope.

Beth F said...

Hang in there!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

And to top off your week, good ole Anonymous stops by up above :p You have had a rough one :( Spring Break can't come too soon for you it sounds :) Keep your head up!!

JoAnn said...

I know you're rooting for Indiana and all, but why in the world do they wear those silly warm up pants? They look like a bunch of candy canes! ;-)

Jeanne said...

I got inadvertently involved in March Madness by being in Dayton, Ohio on the day OSU plays. The hotels are packed. We got stuck in a very old hotel elevator with some basketball fans this morning and got well acquainted before the firemen came and let us out to go our separate ways.

Nise' said...

Sorry for the loss your community experienced. We are hugh March Madness fans here in MI and for the first times in years have both our teams in the Sweet Sixteen. Me Before You will most likely be on my favorites of 2013 list.

Trisha said...

Wow. 42. That really makes you think.

Carrie K. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your community's loss - that is so difficult. And yes, I know what you mean about Me Before You - I sobbed and sobbed.

Julie P. said...

I'm sorry you had so much sadness in your life this week. Here's to hoping next week is better for you and your family!

Unknown said...

You did have an emotional week. Yay for your school/church community coming together for the family in need. It's never easy. Honestly, if you can rest your foot it would be better, but I understand your need to keep running. Be kind to yourself. My life has taken my reading all off kilter. I did love Me Before You and brought my copy to my sister, tear warnings given. I'm planning to listen to "Next Time You See Me" and Patti Callahan's book is next up in print for me. Feeling good about the UCF books.
Nick is on spring break this week, I do hope you enjoy your time.

Alice said...

Hi Sandy! It's been a while. I'm sorry about the dad who'd passed on... very comforting to know that you and the others were there for his family.

Nothing much has changed for me and I still haven't started on any of my audios. I'm starting to feel like slapping myself for it.

And... as Beth Fish here said so nicely, HANG IN THERE. :)

I hope your foot will feel better soon.

Unknown said...

It is wonderful to know your community pulled together so well. Such sad news, but I hope you can continue to support that family.

I hope your foot gets better soon!

Kathleen said...

Very sad to hear about this dad from your school community. There's never anything to prepare us for losing people and someone leaves behind children it just makes things so much worse, doesn't it? I hope your foot will be better soon. Running gives you such a high and I know you don't want to stop doing it.

Ti said...

So sad to hear about that dad. Again, such sad news this week from all over.

Stay off the foot! Wear your running shoes all over but don't stand for too long if you don't have to. I am telling you, within 5-7 days you will feel better if you wear shoes ALL the time. Even upon waking!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sandy.

Heidenkind said...

*hug* That is hard. I don't understand basketball at all, so I'm not involved in March Madness.

Jenners said...

Oh … that is so sad. I'm glad the community is rallying behind the family like that. I'm sure it helps in some small way to bear that horrible loss.

Darlene said...

That is quite the emotional week. I'm so sorry for the loss your community suffered. It's really sad and life often doesn't make sense. It's heartening to see people pull together like that though.

I'm just reading And Then I Found You and liking it. I hope it won't be sad though. I'm listening to Ocean Beach by Wendy Wax which is great so far.

I hope your week got better Sandy.

Anonymous said...

Ah, who would have thunk it - Michigan representing the Big Ten this year?!
Hope all your tears from the week have dried :)