Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday Salon: Mind the Bouff, Mate

 Good morning my friends!  Did we have a good week?  I am thrilled to say that mine was COMPLETELY FREE OF DOCTOR APPOINTMENTS.  That was by design I might add.  Sometimes you just need a break, so we took one.  Next week is a different story...we have at least four in the queue with results coming in on my son's MRI, some attention to my foot, and other things.  Well, it was good while it lasted.  

My parents, who come down for the winter each year, are about to pack up and head to their home in Indiana in a week or so.  They do their fair share of hauling my daughter while I run to these various doctors with my son, so I am playing a Scarlett and deciding that I will think about managing transportation issues some other day.  I'm terrified for my daughter to start driving but...

And also speaking of my parents, last night we went out to Emeril's to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday and my parents' (early) 50th wedding anniversary.  My dad got my mom the most beautiful diamond ring, his appreciation for 50 years of marriage.  I thought it was totally cool.

On the reading front, I finished "The Lost Art of Mixing" by Erica Bauermeister on audio, and between the author's grace and Cassandra Campbell's narration, was lulled into a kind of peace.  But that was short-lived!  Because then I started listening to "January First" in the car...this is the memoir about the little girl with schizophrenia?  Holy cow, I'm about to jump out of my skin for a million different reasons.  A kid I could not handle.  Enabling parents that are half nuts.  That should be a fun review to write.

I also started Rod's Stewart's autobiography on the iPod...narrated by the most amazing Simon Vance.  Now I grew up listening to Stewart's music, but I never would have called myself a huge fan.  But as I hear his incredibly hilarious words (the guy truly has a comedic knack) come out of the mouth of Simon, I think I've got a little infatuation going on here.  Especially when he started talking about his "bouff" (his iconic hair).  "Mind the bouff, mate.  I just spent hours on it."  I think he may be my bouff brother (as my kids sometimes call my hair the "spike-fro").  From now on my hair is officially called my bouff.  I'm having way too much fun with this.  

In print, I'm reading my next UCF author book called "The Memory Thief", written by Emily Colin.  I actually met Colin at SIBA last fall, played some embarrassing pub games with her.  She is really a personable lady, adorable too, so I am glad to report that this is a really good book.  I should have it wrapped up soon.

So today we turn our clocks forward an hour, which always irritates me.  I feel like I lose time as it is!  I'm planning on a day of scratching furry tummies at the animal shelter, some church, no sullen teenagers, and a nice relaxing Sunday night dinner.  What is everyone up to today?



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you managed to avoid the doctors this week! I can't imagine my children learning to drive. That is scary stuff! Luckily I'm further away from that sort of thing than you, but good luck with that. I'm sure she's inherited your sensible head :-)

bermudaonion said...

I'll be running around like my hair's on fire as usual. I have chores around here, inventory at the store, checking on my mom, walking, dinner with my guys, etc. I don't know how anyone has time to get bored.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I should look for the Rod Stewart thing for Jim. He loves him as much as I hate him! :--)

Anonymous said...

Ooh I have The Memory Thief. I just wrote a list of UCF Book Festival books I want to get to this month (rather optimistically, since I'm 80% sure I can't go), and that's one of them! Maybe it'll be the first one.

Unknown said...

Did you know that Rod Stewart has a massive model railroad in his attic? He once made the cover of Model Railroader magazine.

I always liked him, myself.

Trisha said...

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about The Memory Thief.

And Rod Stewart is so 80s cool-notcool. Like Mr. C.B. James, I always liked him myself too.

Belle Wong said...

I've always liked Rod Stewart! The autobiography sounds like such fun. I'm blog hopping this sunny Sunday afternoon, which always means adding to my TBR lists.

Carrie K. said...

I've never been that big on Rod Stewart - but if it's Simon reading it, then I'll give it a try! Hope your week leaves you at least a little time for rest and relaxation.

Florinda said...

I hadn't seen your post yet when I asked you if Rod Stewart was reading his own autobiography. If it's Simon Vance, I totally get why you're loving it!

Julie P. said...

I almost took that Rod Stewart book! Now I'm so regretting it! Good luck with dr. appts. this week.

Heidenkind said...

A week without doctors is just what the doctor ordered. ;)

JoAnn said...

Mind the bouff??? I love it!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Their 50th wedding anniversary, how incredible! That's just not very common any more, congrats to them!

Ti said...

Oh, I love Rod. I have to listen to that one.

Anonymous said...

50 years! What an inspiration.