Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Not So Wordless Wednesday: Plymouth Rock


So continuing on from my discussion last week...Boston field trip, nor-easter.  Another stop on our tour of history was Plymouth Rock.  This symbolic monument to the landing of the Mayflower and Pilgrims is right on the water, and with winds so fierce we could barely walk, we scurried off the bus, snapped a picture, then ran back to the bus.  

Still, our guide did inform us that this is more a symbol than the actual rock that the Pilgrims hit coming into shore.  There was no written reference of any such rock until 121 years after the fact!  I guess there were a lot of claims made, but who knows?  Anyway, it is old, it looks important, and it is stamped with the year 1620.  We braved the weather and saw it.  That is good enough for me.     



10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It looks rather anti-climatic to me but I'll go by to see it if I ever get the chance.

Care said...

Anti-climatic?! Well, it has had many years prior to its 'protection' of being chipped away at for souvenirs. It is always a fun thing to see when we have visitors. Most people ARE underwhelmed, I know, but I love Plymouth. I don't live too far from this. The rock was underwater last week with that freaky storm that gave us scary storm surge. Our house got 16 inches of snow (way more than predicted).

Ann Summerville said...

There's a rock in Southampton in England that states it is the place that they set sail from and headed to Plymouth before crossing the Atlantic.
Ann

caite said...

bemudaonion is right..I have been there is it is very anti-climatic. weird in act..lol

but the nearby Plimoth Plantation (correct spelling) was very interesting..

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Ha, I guess I never thought of the Plymouth Rock being an actual rock. I always thought of it as an area where they landed.

Zibilee said...

I see that is is locked up and protected from vandals, which only makes sense to me, but like another said, I never actually considered Plymouth Rock to be a rock!

Anonymous said...

It looks like it's ben caged. Poor thing.

Heidenkind said...

It's a lot smaller than I expected.

Beth F said...

I heard it had been picked away at (see Care's comment) -- I guess it's a good thing it's behind a fence.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Very odd. We must put a fence around the rock symbolizing our freedom. Interesting.