Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Salon: Meetings about meetings

You know how I was saying last week that I hoped I would be more productive this week?  Nope, didn't happen.  I'll tell you all about this week, but I do also realize that I sound kinda whiny, and that isn't what you want to listen to on a lovely Sunday morning, so I'll try to keep it light!

So, the meetings about meetings.  That is what I had going on this week.  Out of the five weekdays, four of them required meetings that lasted at least two hours.  I've been constructing spreadsheets and building budgets for the school year, preparing for our parent meeting Wednesday night, presenting the numbers to our Home & School board, blah blah blah, so that was the primary focus of the week.  My husband left for a business trip on Wednesday though, so at least I didn't have to worry about a clean house or the evening meal (kids are great that way, aren't they?). 

Lots of football practice this week, and our first game (exhibition) yesterday.  My daughter wants to take horse riding lessons, so I've been trying to find a place that isn't an hour drive away.  She has decided NOT to play basketball this season because she has newly pierced ears and can't keep in the earrings and play.  I'll make no comment, except that she is 13, when fashion is more important than team sports.  We topped off our Saturday with a complicated transferring of children to various places and parties, and my attendance to a "toast to a new school year" event with my Home & School board members. 

On a very sad note, a dear blogger friend of mine Susan (Bear Swamp Reflections) lost her five year old granddaughter in a car accident this week.  Susan has the most heart-warming blog where she talks about her chickens, her family, music, movies, books, and most of all her grandkids.  Her loss has broken my heart into a million pieces.  It has been hard for me to focus on much else frankly.  Please say a prayer for Susan and her family.

I did get some reading done this week.  I read "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating", a small precious little book about a very ill, bed-bound woman who finds a reason to live in a pet snail.  I also finished Alma Katsu's "The Taker" which, uh, like, wow.  What the hell?  I didn't see any of that coming.  I can't wait to meet Alma at SIBA.  I also read another little collection of personal thoughts on 9/11 by Artie Van Why called "That Day in September", in honor of the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.  I've now started "Second Nature" by Jaquelyn Mitchard (who wrote "Deep End of the Ocean").  I don't normally accept many review copies, but was compelled.

On audio, I did finish "East of Eden", then proceeded to slip into a bit of a funk.  What an amazing book, but so much darkness and anger!  I have no idea how to review such a thing.  To cure the malaise, I enjoyed a quick listen to David Sedaris' "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk".  Nothing like hearing about leeches that live in a hippo's butt to bring you up out of the doldrums!
 
Onward, I started listening to "The Emerald Atlas" by John Stephens, and this was where I hit a wall.  It was narrated by the masterful Jim Dale (narrator of the Harry Potter series).  But it seemed so unoriginal, with kids destined for greatness, wizards, magical books, screeching creatures, and alot of running around avoiding bad guys, that I just lost patience.  Perhaps Dale will only be good for one series for me.  I don't know.  It just didn't work.  I know many of you loved this novel, so I feel that I have missed the boat.  I declared it a DNF after finishing about 40% of it.  Then I started listening to Steven Tyler's biography "Does the Noise in my Head Bother You?".  I should get some originality there for sure.

Next week, my parents fly in and my husband and I are off to Chicago for three days.  This is an annual trip that we take with some colleagues (and good friends) of ours, and is always an action-packed whirlwind of shopping and eating and socializing in one of the most amazing cities on earth. 

But for today?  Church, then some relaxation.  I'm reading, hitting the pool, and maybe doing some grilling.  What is up with you today?

   

24 comments:

Beth F said...

I like Chicago too!

Sounds like a crazy, crazy week -- seems as if everyone is overloaded these days.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh man, your weeks sounds like my week! What a busy bee! Hope today is relaxing and you feel recharged heading into the new week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been busy busy! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed East of Eden but yes it is quite an emotional ride. Also now you've really intrigued me to read The Taker!

And give Chicago a hug for me! I so miss it. :( Enjoy your trip.

Harvee/Book Dilettante said...

You have some good books. Enjoy Chicago, one of my favorite places.

Susan said...

Thank you, my sweet friend. I think I might want to read the book about the pet snail. :)

Marie Cloutier said...

EAst of Eden is one of my favorite books- it was nothing like I expected though! Incredible.
I'm so sorry about your friend's granddaughter. That's so unspeakably sad.
To reply to your comment on my blog, I think you would love THE PRESTIGE. I want everyone to read it!

ds said...

Ah, 13...I remember the ear-piercing days well (similar issues, in fact). Meetings about meetings, are just, ick. At least you have Chicago to look forward to. Enjoy!

Zibilee said...

Oh yes, the meetings about meetings. I am very familiar. I can't wait to see your thoughts on East of Eden. It was such an amazing book, but hoo boy was it dark! I think I really need to read more Steinbeck.

Here's hoping that your trip is a wonderful escape for you. I know you will have a great time!

Frances said...

Groaned in sympathy when I saw the title of your post. Another meeting? The words just keep coming out of my mouth. And they all tend to be much more time consuming than they need to be.

Cannot imagine the grief of losing a precious child or grandchild. Wishing her all the best.

And East of Eden is a bit of a handful. I appreciate Steinbeck but can't say that I count him as one of my favorites.

Alyce said...

I'm sorry for all of the stress in your week (and it does seem like a lot of it, even the little things like your daughter not wanting to play basketball).

I didn't post about the thing that is stressing me the most - my kids got bad classroom placements. The principal put them in mixed grade classes with teachers we didn't want. I haven't told the kids yet and am making an appointment with the principal this week in hopes that she'll change her mind.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

For some reason I forgot to read The Taker last week, but will take it up this week! I did meet the author at BEA and she was very nice!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've got a Jo Nesbo book from the library and may give it a try later today. We'll see......

Darlene said...

I am so, so sorry for your friend Susan's loss of her granddaughter. I don't know Susan but my heart goes out to her and her family. What a tragic loss. I'll keep them in my prayers.

I love East of Eden although I've never listened to it. I may have too. Anyhow sounds like you've been busy as usual and it's going to stay tha way for a bit. I don't know how you keep up to yourself.

Have a great week!

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I felt the same way about East of Eden!

Carrie K. said...

You sound so busy! I hope you do get some downtime today. :)

Julie P. said...

Oh how tragic about Susan's granddaughter. I can't even imagine!

Melody said...

You've been busy, Sandy! Hope the new week will be better! And I look forward to your review on "The Taker".

Jenners said...

I'm so so sorry to hear about your friend's loss. That is heart-breaking to hear about even when you don't know the people involved. I'll say a prayer for the family. They must be devastated.

Cannot wait to read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk!

Anonymous said...

It is really a healthy mark the speculator can be evaporated using the Ronda Real estate asset promote for the interest rate with regards to world travel real estate investors as well as housebuyers. Then, the property or home economy during Marbella about it's actually hips, the prices happen to be dropping or manufacturers happen to be fretful to provide. Content material primary reason to get the opportunity patrons away from worldwide areas.

Marbella Rentals are where to exist in or perhaps a expend your favorite annual vacations and also will get Europe’s the first accepted safe place to attract unusual real estate property traders purchasing homes on this site. It really based out of Portugal and many sought after for nice soft sand shoreline usable all coastline. As being the Marbella provides various businesses during the farms among computer security, national infrastructure, suitability into temperature and even, luxury apartments marbella, using, it becomes initial option for those people to consult with right away as an adult.

Further, it offers a several kinds of of his concerts, superb the food industry, public and private persons, lifestyle, charisma, or interest, year-round. The item sports ths society of over Three hundred,Thousand many people. Surrounding the folk away from 1 out of 3 many cities reside on this website by having tranquility combined with calmness.

Ordinarily, people are purchasing houses when it comes to Marbella for a extremely way of life and utilize. You'll discover the sites to put many tastes and also bottom line inside the series starting with €250,1000 in order to really €10,000,1000 to get a several sleeping area accommodation. While the buying process, change into less demanding not to mention not too difficult, lots of real estate purchased in the category associated with holiday households. Dealing is hard however selecting latest possessions into Ronda. Companies are seeking out competent representatives may possibly very good capability for the purpose of rent marbella negotiating and finish their many written documents depending upon the property and assets. As Drop by Usually Reasonably priced The spanish language Building Near Land pertaining to Marbella.

Anonymous said...

Susan's heartbreak broke my heart as well. It seemed to be all I could think about for days. Still am I guess :(

Melissa said...

I will be praying for Susan and her family. Enjoy your time away in Chicago!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ti said...

I just stopped by your friend's blog to post my condolences. I was stricken with the news when you shared it on FB, but seeing that dear child's face has me in tears!

Kathleen said...

I just read about Susan's loss on DS' blog. I am so devastated right now!