Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Movie Meme: On my radar

 Good morning Monday Movie Memers!  As you may or may not have heard, our beloved Bumbles, the hosts of the MMM, have a new addition to their family - Baby Samuel.  He was born on 7/27, 7 pounds 6 ounces, and is ADORABLE.  Thus, the reason for the missing MMM over the last couple of weeks.  We wish them all the happiness and blessings possible (and maybe a few hours of sleep).

So until further notice, I'm just going to be doing my own thing here on Mondays.  Mostly talking about movies we've seen in the past week, or movies that are on my mind.  We are avid movie watchers in this house, and generally watch at least one or two throughout the week.  Unfortunately, about a week ago, we had an alarmingly violent storm pass through and blow out our receiver in our media room.  Alas, no movies.  I'm hoping the techno-geeks that originally set up our system will be able to fix it today.   
 
 

 So I'm going to talk about a new movie that has gotten my attention..."The Devil's Double".  It released on July 29, but it's not playing anywhere near my house.  It has gotten some pretty compelling reviews, and is Entertainment Weekly's #1 on the Must List this week.  Here is the synopsis from Flixter:

Summoned from the frontline to Saddam Hussein's palace, Iraqi army lieutenant Latif Yahia (Dominic Cooper) is thrust into the highest echelons of the "royal family" when he's ordered to become the 'fiday' - or body double - to Saddam's son, the notorious "Black Prince" Uday Hussein (also Dominic Cooper), a reckless, sadistic party-boy with a rabid hunger for sex and brutality.  With his and his family's life at stake, Latif must surrender his former self forever as he learns to walk, talk and act like Uday.  But nothing could have prepared him for the horror of the Black Prince's psychotic, drug-addled life of fast cars, easy women and impulsive violence.
To me, it sounds like a modern-day Scarface, which is all I needed to hear.  (I know it isn't very ladylike for me to enjoy these types of movies, but whatever.)  There seems to be some buzz about Oscar-worthy performances here, and if the rumors are true, the movie will eventually find our culture-barren town of Orlando.  And of course there is always Netflix.

Are there any movies you are excited about (except for The Help, which goes without saying)?  Side note:  In my humble opinion, there hasn't been a whole lot of good going on in the theaters this summer.  Alot of dumbed-down pandering to 8 year olds who are alot smarter than Hollywood gives them credit for.  I could have used a few more Harry Potters myself.    

11 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Tucson is the same - I'm wondering when even The Help will arrive (Christmas maybe? LOL)

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Ooh, this looks right up my alley! I love a good scary movie, horror movie, whatever - love it all!

Trisha said...

I think it's perfectly ladylike to enjoy these kinds of movies. We are ladies who like kickass (and can kickass I'm sure). :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I am excited about The Help (seeing it Wednesday), but I also kinda want to see Crazy, Stupid, Love. I've also been going to a few classic outdoor movies, which is always fun. It's nice to see old movies on the big screen, especially when there's nothing else out.

caite said...

Gosh, just from the commercials, I think this one may be too much for me.
Now The Help looks good, a perfect summer movie. Hopefully they did not screw it up too much from the book.

Zibilee said...

Oh, this does look interesting! I also love the Scarface type movies, and there was a period that I rented and watched them all. I also don't know why we never get the good movies. I had to stop on my trip to Atlanta earlier this year to see Jane Eyre, because it wasn't being shown in Central Florida at all!

bermudaonion said...

IMDB has this rated a 6.8 out of 10 and says it doesn't come out until August 10. I'm dying to see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and another one that starts with an S that's name is escaping me at the moment.

Heidenkind said...

There does seem to be a lot of dumb movies out this summer. Even the dumb movie I wanted to see was dumber than I expected. :p

Meg @ write meg! said...

I love Dominic Cooper and was really surprised/impressed when I heard he would be playing both leads in this film, which definitely seems outside his normal genre! I'm a bit squeamish regarding violence, though, so not sure I'll be able to see this one in theatres. Will wait until it's out on DVD and fast-forward through all the scary bits!

Iliana said...

I did see a preview for this one and it seemed pretty intense. I have to be in the mood for movies like this. I think the one movie I'm looking forward to is One Day based on David Nicholl's novel. Did you read that one? Loved the book but am not too happy about the movie casting. Still I want to see it :)

Unknown said...

We actually went to a movie last week. We saw Midnight in Paris and enjoyed it, though mainly for the scenes of Paris. We did see a preview for The Devil's Double. I'm interested but there's no way I could get C.J. to go. It looks very similar to Last King of Scotland, very similar story line, but a more Tarantino style to it.