Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - Fall Movies I'm Coveting

Good morning movie buffs!  While the Bumbles are taking care of baby Sam, I've decided to do my own thing.  Truth be told?  Over the years, we have probably pillaged every topic possible in the film world, so the departure is a nice break.


Today, I'm going to talk a little bit about the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly - the scared fall movie preview, and the beginning of the Oscar wrangling in earnest. What exciting things are going on in the next few months, you ask?  Breaking Dawn?  No!  Even though I'll probably have to take my daughter.  Here are some that have caught my attention:

September 9 - Contagion
Starring Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow
Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Why I'm interested:  Virus wipes out millions in a matter of weeks (The Stand anyone?), including a whole string of A-list cast members.  Apparently Gwyneth dies quite dramatically.  Jude Law plays a crusading blogger.  I can't resist.


September 30 - Dream House

Starring Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts
Directed by Jim Sheridan

Why I'm interested:  Labelled a psychological thriller about a family that moves into a quaint New England home with a grisly past, this movie has been likened to The Others and The Sixth Sense.  Add in some Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz chemistry, which resulted in their real-life nuptials, and this has the makings of something entertaining.
















September 9 - Warrior
Starring Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, Nick Nolte
Directed by Gavin O'Connor

Why I'm interested:  Tom Hardy completely wooed me in Inception, and this time he's going all mixed martial arts against an estranged brother.  This is definitely something I think I could use to lure my husband and son to the movie theater.
















October 7 - The Ides of March
Starring Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti
Directed by George Clooney

Why I'm interested:  Can you believe this lineup?  This bad boy is gunning for the Oscars.  With Gosling and Clooney, I don't even care what it is about.  (But for the record, it is a political drama.)


October 14 - Footloose
Starring Kenny Wormald, Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell
Directed by Craig Brewer

Why I'm interested:  Hey, so sue me.  I'm a child of the '80's, and while I'll probably be disappointed, I'll go see this for nostalgic purposes.


November 23 - Hugo
Starring Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen
Directed by Martin Scorsese

Why I'm interested:  This is another one with its eye on the Oscars.  But I'm more intrigued to see the magical, beloved children's book (The Invention of Hugo Cabret) come to life.   





December 21 - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Starring Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer

Directed by David Fincher

Why I'm interested:  Make no mistake, I will be going into this one with a critical eye.  Not only have the US people been trash-talking the Swedish version, they have huge shoes to fill.  They will get one chance with me, but I have to try.  Nothing like a little murder and sodomy to get you in the holiday spirit!


Who knows when - We Need to Talk About Kevin(Scheduled for a September 28th release in France)

Starring Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly, Ezra Miller

Directed by Lynne Ramsay

Why I'm interested:  This was probably one of the most disturbing books I've ever read, and I'll probably be trembling and emotional before I even get to my seat, but I'm going.


Are there any movies you are looking forward to this fall?      











19 comments:

Beth F said...

THere are few on your list that I'll try to go see -- but Girl with Dragon Tattoo is a must. We really liked the Swedish version so I'm curious about this one.

Thoughts of Joy said...

I read somewhere that We Need to Talk About Kevin is coming out on December 2.

Zibilee said...

Ok, the previews for Footloose have my eyebrows just waggling away, so I will be interested in hearing what you think about it, and may even take my husband, who loves the original. A lot of crazy good movies on this list, I think, and a lot of them I will be seeing! Did I just sound like Yoda? I apologize for that!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I saw a preview of Contagion (at The Help) and it was so full of spoilers I couldn't believe it! I hate hate hate when previews do that!

Kathleen said...

I saw Rise of the Apes with my son last night and they showed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer. I haven't read the book so I can't say for sure but the preview sure made me want to see the movie. I also saw the trailer for Contagion. There's some good ones to look forward to.

Arti said...

I'm into movie adaptations of literary works... have compiled a couple of lists for upcoming ones. Looking forward to John Le Carré's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Gary Oldman, Colin Firth), Great Expectations (Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes), The Great Gatsby (Carey Mulligan, Leo DiCaprio), Anna Karenina (excellent cast and all)... but first, I need to read that book.

Jenny said...

Oooh I want to see the one with Ryan Gosling too... see I already forgot the title, lol! But I saw the preview for it when I saw The Help and it looks good. And I have yet to read a Lionel Shriver book and really need to based on your recommendations!!! And Footloose... well I'm annoyed they're remaking all those movies (Dirty Dancing too!) but I'm sure I'll still see them.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh The Ides of March looks fabulous!!! Yes, please!

Margot said...

Last week I saw the preview for The Ides of March and put it on my list of movies to see. I couldn't remember the title so I just wrote down the George Clooney movie. Of course, I'll see it for more than just looking at him. Really. It did look like it had a decent plot. Really.

Heidenkind said...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, definitely, even though I'm concerned about how it will be compared to the Norwegian version. And kinda excited about Hugo, but probably won't see it in theaters.

bermudaonion said...

I wish we lived closer so we could go to the movies together!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I'm looking forward to almost all the ones you mentioned. I love reading that EW issue and seeing all the gerat stuff in the works. I'm hoping that Shelock Holmes 2 is good as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm also waiting for Hugo. I loved so much the book, smartly done. Here is my review if some of your readers are not familiar with this book:
http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/review-59-the-invention-of-hugo-cabret/
Emma @ Words And Peace

Jenners said...

What … no Twilight on your list?????? : )

Alyce said...

I'm looking forward to Hugo too, and I also want to take the boys to see the re-release of The Lion King in 3D. One of my sons has never seen it, and I think he'd really like it. I still remember the first time I saw it in high school and cried my eyes out. :)

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Dream house sounds really good!! Thanks for the heads up!

♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

ds said...

Now that I can't get the title song from "Footloose" out of my head.... Will look forward to The Ides of March, and Hugo (a book I must read); am curious but not sure I could handle The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on-screen. It was hard to read/listen to some of those scenes!

Lindsey said...

Contagion is one I'm greatly looking forward to also, including Straw Dogs, the remake of the original Sam Peckinpah verson.

Alice said...

I need to watch Inception! And Warrior looks good!