Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Salon: Four more days of summer

Only four more days of summer left, if one defines summer as the lack of school and the nonsense associated with it.  The kids first day of school is next Thursday.  Am I happy?  To a certain extent yes.  The kids are getting bored, and I'm craving my structured days.  But with it comes early mornings, multiple sports schedules, homework, the infernal and hated projects, and various volunteer activities.  With an 8th grader in my house, there will be fund-raising events for their 8th grade activities like graduation, confirmation, and the class trip to Busch Gardens.  I'll just be taking a deep breath here.

I spent the week getting the last few things we needed for school, as well as working on all the projects that had been ignored all summer.  Some painting, fence staining, alot of weeding, alot of cleaning.  My son started his daily football practices this week, and with heat indexes around 110, it takes about a half day of intense hydration just to make sure he doesn't go out there and die of heat stroke, poor thing.

The Heathrow Literary Society met this week to discuss "Clara and Mr. Tiffany" by Susan Vreeland.  (Review coming soon.)  We only had five people show up, which was unfortunate, but that is how summers roll.  All of us but one loved the book, and we are looking forward to taking our field trip soon to the Morse Museum in Winter Park to see the display of Tiffany windows and lamps. 

So how about that incredible "20 books for $20" deal for e-books?  For those of you who didn't hear about this, Harper Perennial is offering 20 of their books for 99 cents each on e-readers.  Some pretty great books too.  I ended up buying six or seven of them, including "Bad Marie" which I'd been having dreams about for months.  (Ha!  Maybe if I read about Bad Marie, she'll stop creeping into my dreams!).  As if I'll ever get these books read...

My reading has been SO OFF.  I've spent so much time running around, I sometimes won't read one printed word until I go to bed.  And then I fall asleep.  It makes me want to rip my hair out.  I'm still reading Nesbo's "Nemesis", and it is good, really.  But this is crazy.  I've been reading it for two weeks, an eternity for me, and I'm still only at 70%.  I've got books I need to read for SIBA, I've got books I need to read for book clubs.  I'm a mess.

I did finish "The Time Traveler's Wife" on audio earlier in the week.  Freaking ripped my heart out of my chest it was so good.  I even had to pull over once in the car because I was overcome with emotion in one scene.  Now I have embarked on "East of Eden" for The Heathrow Literary Society next month.  (No I have never read it!)  It is gargantuan...something like 25 discs, but is wonderful and compelling so far.  I guess there really is something to this Steinbeck fellow! hee hee

I allowed myself a small break in my tasks this week to meet up with my local blogger buddy Heather (Raging Bibliomania) to get a bite for lunch, exchange some books, and talk a little bit about our road trip up to Charleston in September for SIBA.  We felt it important to drive so we could haul all of our treasures home, not ship them.  Plus it is going to give us some great audiobook time.

My husband and I topped off our week by attending a fundraiser event last night, held in cities all over the country including Orlando, called Taste of the Nation. It is a huge endeavor, and of course I'm secretly eyeing all of this as competition to our ALL Reading Between the Wines, but goes to a worthy cause.  My husband loves anything with a silent auction, and he walked away with a chef's table thingy at Brio Tuscan Grille. 

After church today, I look forward to a small but hopefully fun discussion on "What Alice Forgot" (review coming soon) for my Skype book club.  After that?  Ribs on the grill, and hopefull some productive reading.  What are all of you up to today?    
   

21 comments:

Jenny said...

Bad Marie is one of the ones I had my eye on too... I've heard great things!

Sounds like you're kids are really involved in a lot of activities... That's awesome!

bermudaonion said...

Boy do y'all start school early. I think it starts on the 17th here, but I'm not positive. When Vance was that I age, I loved the summer and lack of rigid structure.

My reading has been off too - life has been hectic. I made a list of books I need to read for book clubs, SIBA, author events and Club Read - my reading is pretty much scheduled through mid-October.

I bought 8 of the Harper Collins e-books.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I didn't buy any of the H-C books since I'm still resisting an e-reader! I suppose it won't be long though...

Trisha said...

Bad Marie was first on my list for that deal too! Something about the way she looks on the cover just sticks with you. I still have two weeks until school starts, the 22nd, and I'm both excited to be back to work (and purpose) and sad my free time is about to end.

Frances said...

Also want to read Bad Marie. And get The Time Traveler's Wife thing. I balled my eyes out. And that is one early start to school. I do understand your conflict - structure or freedom. Wishing you all the best.

Alyce said...

We only had 3 people at our last book club meeting. This month we're discussing East of Eden too. I thought I wasn't going to be able to go but then we changed the date so now I can. The only problem was that I planned on reading a lot of other books, so I haven't had as much time for East of Eden. I've only got a week left and I'm on page 50. I don't think I'll finish at this rate.

Anonymous said...

School already?? What happened to starting school after labor day?

And I cried my eyes out when reading A Time Traveler's Wife, especially at the end. It was not a pretty sight.

Unknown said...

We're off to San Francisco to look at paintings of the Dutch masters and probably stopping in at Green Apple Books as well.

Unknown said...

Your reading will probably pick up when your days become more ordered with the kids starting school. I cannot imagine practice football in 110 degrees, those poor kids although they probably don't mind it the way an "old lady" like me would! lol

Your trip to Charleston with Heather sounds like great fun. I think driving is the way to go for sure...imagine dragging your loot home any other way?!

I'm still a hold out re" e-books but it sounds like you got some great books. Bad Marie sounds fascinating.

Enjoy your Sunday, Sandy! I hope you get some good reading time!

Zibilee said...

I have been thinking and thinking about those Harper books, and think that I need to check them out again. I only bought two the first time, but it sounds like there are some that I need to explore a little further.

I also popped into the Borders over in Altamonte that is closing, and didn't walk out with a single thing. There were some good books there, but the discount hadn't reached it's peak, and it was crawling with people. I think I am going to go back in the next couple of weeks.

ds said...

I forgot how early school begins for you all. I'd never be ready on time (once again, I am amazed at your organizational abilities). No wonder you're exhausted!

I haven't read East of Eden either...sigh...

Carrie K. said...

Whew - I'm tired just reading your post! I can't believe you go back to school so early in the month, but I guess with the weather in the 100s, it's not like they can be outside in it anyway.

The road trip sounds like so much fun - I would love to do that someday! And Time Traveler's Wife - it does rip your heart out.

Melody said...

My reading is off too, but you know about that on FB, lol.

Hope you've a great week ahead, Sandy!

Anonymous said...

I definitely took advantage of the 20 for $20 deal, even though I have enough to read already!! My stepdaughter went back to school this past Wednesday, so my summer is pretty much over as well. The change hasn't really hit me yet, so I am still in summer mode!

Iliana said...

Oh thank you for the link to the 99cent eBooks deal. I am trying to build a little library on my Kindle so I definitely can use this!

Here's to savoring those last four days of summer, even if the temps are unbearable. It's been hot,hot,hot here in Austin too!

Unknown said...

I knew you'd love Time Traveler's Wife! I'm sure I'd have had to pull over if I'd listened to it in the car too!

My kids still have a month of holidays left before school. I am enjoying it, but part of me wishes they still went at least a couple of days a week. Enjoy your last few days with them before the structure comes back. :-)

Ti said...

My kids start school next week and I have to help with 8th grade registration on Wednesday. I really don't know why I volunteered. I just got out of my PTO gig at the Girl's school and what do I do? Replace it with something else. Dumb.

I HATE homework and if I have to repeat what I went through last year with The Boy, I am going to ship him off to boarding school.

Julie P. said...

How come you always make me feel like I get nothing done?

JoAnn said...

Enjoy the last few moments of summer - school sure starts for you! The leaves are just hinting at fall colors to come here. East of Eden is one of my all-time favorites. Hope it's just as good on audio.

Jenners said...

We've still got a MONTH until school starts. I'm jealous!! I do need that structure. We're reaching the point where the laziness of summer is starting to wear thin. Plus we're getting tired of the pool!!!

So glad you LOVED Time Traveler's Wife!!!

I bought 3 of the Harper Perennial books … I feel better about myself now. : )

Alice said...

My reading has been off for weeks now and I am trying so very hard to get things back in order. But I also love hanging out with friends and doing all the other things I'm doing and then there's work. So the pie gets divided so much until I'm not sure what is what. Anyway... Have fun, Sandy!