Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bossypants - Tina Fey (Audio)

Disclaimer:  I am not a watcher of 30 Rock.  I haven't watched Saturday Night Live since before I had kids.  So that might make me a really bad person to be reviewing a memoir-ish collection of stories told by Tina Fey.  But I am a student of pop culture.  I know who she is, I've laughed at her Sarah Palin imitations, and I read EW, who loves the woman.  Above all, I recognize her for being a whip-smart working mom who barged into a man's world and made her mark.

And Tina Fey on audio?  Are you kidding me?  This is in the neighborhood of David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell...absolutely perfect self-narration, and the only way to experience the book.

OK, so no typical setup on this one.  We know that this book is a collection of stories that encapsulate Tina Fey's life, from her childhood, her life as a stand-up comedienne, all the way through to her work at 30 Rock and her infamous impersonation of Sarah Palin.  Her quips are so chock-full of droll, sarcastic one-liners that inspire hilarity, I couldn't possibly share them all with you.  Trust me, however, when I tell you that you will laugh out loud every 4.2 minutes.  Initially, I started frantically looking for pen and paper to document some of these, but gave up early.  Here are ones I could track down online:

On her hectic schedule: 

"By the way, when Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have overextended yourself, you need to examine your f-ing life."

Her response to one particular piece of hate mail:
"To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair."

On her bitterness at having dark hair:

"You could put a blond wig on a hot-water heater and some dude would try to f*** it."
On getting her period: 

"I was ten. I had noticed something was weird earlier in the day, but I knew from commercials that one's menstrual period was a blue liquid that you poured like laundry detergent onto maxi pads to test their absorbency. This wasn't blue, so...I ignored it for a few hours."
More of her self-deprecating humor:
"My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne."

I particularly loved her bit on her struggle to do all the right things as a new mom, and as a working mom.  All women are made to feel like inadequate ogres if they do not breastfeed, with particular pressure applied by a group of over-zealous women that Fey deemed the "Teat Nazis".  I've seen some reviews where people got their knickers in a knot over this phrase, but trust me, they are out there in full force, and are every bit as scary as Seinfeld's Soup Nazi.


In fact, if you are the least bit sensitive, you might want to skip this book entirely.  Fey doesn't hold back.  But if you like a little bawdy humor, combined with some smart advice from a smart woman who has climbed the ladder and made a success of herself?  You are going to love this one.

And do yourself a huge favor...listen to the audio!  If you are going to listen to one audio in your life, this would be the one.

5 out of 5 stars   

   

22 comments:

Zibilee said...

I am listening to this one right now, and am having such a great time with it! It's so funny and refreshing that I am just walking around the house snorting and occasionally shaking my head. She really does have the droll humor down pat. I just finished the part where she was working at the Y, and got in trouble for peeling an orange at her desk. Great review for a great book!

Ti said...

I shy away from celebrity memoirs. I am usually disappointed by them. Especially comedians because they are often not as funny as when they are wearing their "funny" face.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you loved this! I watch 30 Rock and it's definitely different, but if you like her sense of humor you'd love it. Even though I already read this I may get the audio to listen in the car because I can imagine it would make it that much better!

Anna said...

I don't usually read books like this but that quote about her period is hilarious!

Carrie K. said...

Our library has this on audio via Overdrive, so I will definitely be listening to it - hopefully soon!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh, I’ve heard SUCH good things about this book! I am NOT an audio book person but I guess I’ll need to get this on tape as I’ve heard that it’s the only way to go.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I need to get this to listen to in the car - maybe it will be just the thing to get me back into car audio listening!

Bybee said...

I love all the quotes!

Alyce said...

I like her humor on SNL and her Sarah Palin impersonations are priceless, but I have skipped this book because I just don't do humor books.

bermudaonion said...

I read this book and loved it and have kicked myself that I didn't listen to the audio. I loved that she told women not to believe that they're competing with their female co-workers.

Julie P. said...

I'm with Kathy on this one. I read the book too and should have listened to it instead.

Trisha said...

I love this kind of blunt humor, but I, for some reason, haven't had any desire to read this. Maybe I should listen to it instead?

Jenners said...

Wasn't this a kick!? I just loved it. And I think she had SO MANY great lines that you couldn't possibly remember all of them. And so many of the ones I loved so much were almost throwaway lines. I agree with you that audio is the way to go with this one.

Florinda said...

This was my very first audiobook listen, and I'm very glad it was - loved it!

JoAnn said...

Adding to my list...

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

Alyce, it really isn't a humor book, per se, it is a very real memoir that just happens to be hilarious.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Wasn't this one good! I love the quotes you listed. It reminded me of how hard I was laughing when I read some of those. She's hilarious.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I loved this audio - she is funny and very, very smart!

Oh, yes, the bit about the blue liquid during your period - my neighbors must have wondered about me as I laughed along the yard, pushing the lawn mower and listening to this one.

Marie said...

Thanks for the great review--now I wish I had listened to the audio version. I enjoyed reading the book, but I'm sure I would have liked it more if I'd heard her voice.

Here's my review:
http://mariesbookgarden.blogspot.com/search?q=bossypants

Kathleen said...

This is one audiobook that I will definitely plan to listen to!

Melissa said...

Ugh! I had this one checked out from the library, and then forgot to transfer it to my mp3. So I'm back on the list!

Canada said...

I suppose I thought that Tina was always an actress on SNL I had no idea that she was witty and had the take on life that she says just what all people and dfitnley women are thinking. This was light hearted view at her life and opinons. Great read the best true story I have read in forever.