Sunday, January 18, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Stop Calling Me Shirley...



This week's movie meme is all about spoofs. I was really hoping for a meme about the best movies about paralyzed people, since I am in the middle of watching "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly". I invent topics for the Monday Movie Meme in my head and invent my answers. Only I am a million miles from where Molly and Andy are. OK, I am switching my gears. I may copy a little from Molly and Andy, but I do have some of my own:

  • Airplane! - You HAVE to include this one on your list. It is the pioneer of spoofs.
  • Waiting for Guffman - To hell with Spinal Tap (Actually not. Spinal Tap is a good one!) My movie-manic sister turned me on to this Christopher Guest spoof that I could watch 1,243 times and still laugh.
  • Best in Show - You obviously know now I am a fan of Christopher Guest. I love animals, especially dogs, and I watch the Westminister Dog Show every year. This is pee-your-pants funny. I understand completely why it is OK to have a meltdown when you have lost your dog's favorite busy-bee squeaky toy.
  • Blazing Saddles - there are about thirty one-liners in this movies that are repeated frequently in our home. At least between my husband and I.
  • Scarey Movie Series - Not gonna win any awards, but pretty funny if you are in the right mood!

To participate in this very fun, weekly meme, go visit The Bumbles. What are your favorite spoofs?

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Spoofs can be such fun, can't they?

I don't think I've ever seen Airplane! all the way through, can you believe it? Not because I haven't wanted to though. I always have to be somewhere else during it and can't stay and watch. I am not familiar with the other titles you mention, I'm afraid.

A spoof that I really liked was the first Scream movie. Although I'm not sure how much that can really count as a spoof. I am not a horror movie fan, but I did like that one.

Eidin said...

I loved "Best in Show." I had no idea it was going to be that funny.

Here's my list.

The Bumbles said...

All incredibly awesome choices. Blazing Saddles is one we didn't even think of initially - "Where the white women at?!" or "Excuse me while I whip this out" are 2 favorites - there is NO WAY that movie could be made today - P.C. made spoofs lame.

Sandy Nawrot said...

You know, very recently I bought Airplane! and let my kids watch it, thinking of all the times I watched it as a kid. When I saw it again after all this time, I freaked out. There was reference to sitting on faces, drug use and naked boobs! They just don't make PG movies the same these days! It really is a funny movie, Wendy. Good to watch when you are in a goofy mood! I would have added Scream to the list as well, but The Bumbles had it on their list and I didn't want to copy!

Sherry - I could watch any Christopher Guest movie over and over. The two I've listed here are my favorites, but there's also "For Your Consideration", "A Mighty Wind" and of course "Spinal Tap", and many more. His brand of humor cracks me up.

You are right Bumbles. Movies like Airplane and Blazing Saddles never would have made it on the screen today. So much for freedom of expression, huh?

The Bumbles said...

Hey - how was Diving Bell anyway? I had wanted to see that, then I found out it was a true story based on a book so I just read the book last year and enjoyed it. I'm fearful that the movie will be a letdown.

Sandy Nawrot said...

I haven't finished the movie yet (thus is my overall issue with movies...I can't stay awake). We are a little over halfway through and it is really really good. I did not read the book, so I have no basis for comparison, though. For the first part of the movie, it is shot from the perspective of the gentleman that is paralyzed. Amazing cinematography!

Beth F said...

Airplane, Best in Show, and Blazing Saddles are all great ones!

Christopher Guest is great!

We have Diving Bell in our NetFlix queue.

Anonymous said...

Princess Bride!

Sandy Nawrot said...

I never saw Princess Bride (my kids did!). Maybe I need to get it back on the Netflix Q!