Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 TBR Challenge


It seems to me that reading challenges are a bit like volunteering at the kids' school...it is a slippery slope, and if you don't find the will to say "no", you will regret it later! I've already pledged my audio book life to the Outlander Challenge, and I've signed up for the Read and Review Challenge, which is a no-brainer (you just review everything you read, which is what I do anyway). However, this challenge piqued my interest. It is the TBR challenge (for rules and sign-up, click here). You simply pick out 12 or more books from your To Be Read stack and read them in 2009. You can read them all in one month, or you can spread them out. This will be my way of forcing myself to stay somewhat focused on my ever-growing pile of prepaid fun. So here is my list:
1. The Hour I First Believed - Wally Lamb
2. The House of Mondavi - Julia Flynn Siler
3. Remembering Blue - Connie May Fowler. This is an author local to the panhandle, near where we vacation every year. This part of Florida and its essence is in my blood. I received three of her books for Xmas and I will put them all on here!
4. Sugar Cage - Connie May Fowler
5. Before Women Had Wings - Connie May Fowler
6. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte. Can you believe I have never read this? I'm embarassed...
7. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen. Another embarassment.
8. Say You're One of Them - Uwem Akpan. This was Entertainment Weekly's #1 new fiction of 2008.
9. Sashenka - Simon Montefiore
10. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
11. Resistance - Owen Shears
12. Away - Amy Bloom
So there you are! Keep your eyes open for the reviews of these books to come!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The four I've read on this list are all terrific. Away and Resistence are good, fast reads. Pride and Prejudice is not fast but it is delightful, very funny too if you slow down enough to get all the humor. Wuthering Heights is a fantastic monster of a book, full of horrifying people and actions and something that I find more difficult to put down each time I read it. There's nothing out there quite like it.

Enjoy.

Literary Feline said...

I am so glad you are joining in! We can keep each other on track. :-)

You've got a great list of books there. I'm really curious about Wally Lamb's latest. Say You're One of Them is on my list too!

Good luck with the challenge!

Anonymous said...

I've got two Amy Bloom on my pile--Away and Normal, which C.B. James just reviewed. She's going to be a new author for me this year.

Happy New year and Happy Reading! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never read Wuthering Heights, either - and it's on my TBR list, too.

Sandy Nawrot said...

James - Well, you have been one of the bloggers to seriously influence this list! I totally trust your judgement.

Kitty - It's a deal. So far I think I can fulfill my challenge obligations. However, I do find these things very tempting...

Matt - this Amy Bloom seems to be popping up everywhere, so how can we resist? I need to get Normal in there too, after C.B. James' review. Away has been on my list for at least a year. This is my way of forcing my own hand.

Carrie - Well I am glad I'm not alone! I'm not sure where I was in my literature classes in college, but I've got some catching up to do!

Melissa said...

I've never read Wuthering Heights either...I just came across my copy though. Maybe it's a sign!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Melissa, let me know if you decide to pick it up and I will read it at the same time!

Michele said...

Oooh - someone let me know when you all read Wuthering Heights.... I'd love to re-read it!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Carrie, Melissa and Michele - Just say the word and I'll do Wuthering Heights next. I am a couple of days away from finishing the book I'm reading at the moment. That would be fun!

Michele said...

Sounds good to me!