Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just one more challenge...War Through the Generations


I am trying REALLY hard not to over-commit myself, but I just couldn't help joining this reading challenge. It is called "War Through the Generations" Reading Challenge, and for 2009 the theme will be WWII. You only have to read five WWII-related books during the year (or more if you would like.) Heck! I've already read two and I wasn't even trying!!!

Now as most of you know, I drift towards these books as a matter of instinct. My husband is from Poland, and his family grew up in the throes of WWI, WWII and the Solidarity movement. We have visited many places in Germany and Poland that both inspired me, and made me sick to my stomach. Reichstag in Berlin, various German bunkers (including the one hosting the assassination attempt in Valkyrie), the monuments erected to commemorate the Warsaw ghetto uprising, and even Auschwitz. There's nothing like seeing this stuff in person to give you a good smack in the face. Anyway, I digress.

My goal this year will be to read 10 books related to WWII. Like I said, I have already read Suite Francaise and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I have "Resistance" by Owen Shears in my TBR Reading Challenge, and a friend of mine recommended a trilogy written by Richard J. Evans that was about the Third Reich. I'm off! If anyone would like to join this reading challenge (although I think I am the last to join!), click here. I'm off!

7 comments:

Serena said...

Sandy: Thanks for signing up for the challenge. welcome aboard and 10 books...what a great goal.

When you post reviews do not hesitate to send them along to us....

warthroughgenerations AT gmail DOT com

We'll post a snippet and link back to your blog to give you more readers, etc.

Unknown said...

I loved Resistance. One of my best reads of 2008, actually. I'll be interested to hear your opinion. I'm leaning towards getting Suite Franciase as well.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Thanks Serena! This challenge just felt like a natural fit with the types of books I gravitate towards. We'll see if I can hit 10!!

James - well it is thanks to you that I have Resistance on my list! I truly do trust your judgement.

Anna said...

Sandy, I'm thrilled that you're joining us for the challenge!! I can't wait to see all the books you choose, and it's great that you've already read two. Thanks for signing up!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Literary Feline said...

Yay! I am glad you are joining this one too. Like you, I am drawn to books set in this time period. Good luck!

Michele said...

Ooh, glad you're joining this one...I did, too. I just gravitate towards this time period.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Well, it would just be stupid if I didn't sign up for this. Chances are, I would read at least ten books from the time period anyway. I might as well get credit for it. I already have seven books on my list for this challenge. I may have to increase my goal...