Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Salon: The most bi-polar week of my life

Hello friends!  Well, what a week.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to forget something.  But there were so many ups and downs that I really had no idea what emotion I should be feeling at any given moment.  But we are a glass half full kind of group, so I will highlight all the wonderful aspects of the last seven days first.

Monday:  Armed with numerous gift cards for the Ritz Carlton Spa, I spent the day there on Monday.  I indulged in a service that involved a body scrub, hydrotherapy, a body wrap, and full body massage, followed by lounging and lunch by the pool.  I felt like I was a princess.

Tuesday:  Heathrow Literary Society met on "The Swan Thieves", a book I read about a year ago.  I didn't love the book but it inspired some passionate responses in me, and we had a great discussion.  Upcoming reads, June through October - Lit by Mary Karr, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, Clara and Mrs. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland, East of Eden by John Steinbeck, and Loving Frank by Nancy Horan.

Thursday:  Barnes and Noble Book Fair.  What is not to love?  I buzzed around hand-selling all kinds of wonderful books to my friends.  We had a huge turnout and as usual, was the social event of the season for my kids' school.  This is the one and only fundraiser for the school library, so it made my heart warm to see the support.

Saturday:  My daughter and I spent the day at Discovery Cove, a theme park owned by Sea World.  For an enormous price (although our tickets were purchased cheap cheap at an auction) we had a dolphin encounter, snorkeled a coral reef, fed exotic birds, floated in a lazy river, and enjoyed free drinks, snacks and meals.  Phenomenal experience, and one we would not only strongly recommend but would do again ourselves.

Sunday:  Mother's Day!  After church, we will partake in a champagne brunch at our country club.  Followed by some relaxing by the pool with a book?

On the downside, in my attempt at getting ahead on my posts so I will be ready to leave for three weeks in June, I royally screwed up a few dates on my pre-published articles.  No, I am not in Poland.  I will be leaving June 1st, not May 1st!  Therefore, you will be seeing that particular post again.

And of course, my dear sweet beloved piggy Rufus died on Wednesday night.  (Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has expressed your sympathies...you are all very kind.)  While I am blessed to have been able to hold him and talk to him while he passed over to piggy heaven, I am dragging some serious baggage around over the experience.  His passing has left a giant gaping hole in my heart and in my life.  Having been through this before, I know I will be slightly unstable for a period of time.  I will not drag out my sadness any more here on the blog, but be aware that if you know me in real life, you could possibly end up dealing with a few tears from me.  I can't predict when it will happen.

So do I laugh or cry or what?  All of the above.  I'm at peace with being the neighborhood fruitcake for the time being.

My reading has been just as erratic.  I did finish "Bent Road" by Lori Roy on audio for book club in a couple of weeks. I still need to sort out my feelings on this one.  The characters all drove me nuts, but the story was a twisting, winding wad of dysfunction.  Stay tuned on this one, as we will be speaking to Lori at our meeting.  Then I started Joshilyn Jackson's "The Girl Who Stopped Swimming" on audio.  Well, you just have to love her stuff.  She is so totally entertaining.  I should have that one wrapped up in another day or two.

Reading in print has not been quite that productive.  I did finish Daniel Palmer's "Delirious", and it towed the line on my mental thriller checklist.  Lots of nutty, crazy, thrilling stuff going on here, and he managed to keep me on the edge of my seat up until the last page.  I then started "Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy" by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson (subtitled "The Belle of All Things Southern dishes On Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind").  I met Shellie at the UCF Book Festival, and she graciously gave a few of us this early copy of her upcoming release.  Good LORD she is funny, in a sarcastic Southern way, bless her heart.  I'm just not in the mood to be tickled, so I haven't advanced all that far.  Maybe next week.

I'm DESPERATELY trying to get caught up on my reviews, but it is slow going.  My only deadline is June 1st.  I'm only five reviews behind. So maybe I will make headway this week, even though it looks to be a busy one.

So there you have it.  I would like to wish all mothers (including wifes who act as mothers to grown up man-children, and mothers of pets) a Happy Mother's Day.  May your day be filled with happiness, relaxation and reading!   
   

22 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Oh, my! Yes, you do have a number of things going on right now, and no wonder things may feel a bit all over the place. I'm still reeling for you about Rufus. I know how much that can tear things apart for a while and I hope that things heal for you soon.

On another note, The Swan Thieves was one that I am horrified to admit that I did not like. I was so in love with Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian (have you read? I'd be interested to see what you think on it) that I thought The Swan Thieves was a major letdown. Just...you know...blah?

Do have fun on your trip!! I'm so excited for you and I cannot wait to read all your stories and see all of the pictures!

Molly said...

Hi Sandy -- thank you so much for welcoming me back to the fold! -- although it seems that your life has been quite erratic as well.

I have no idea where to start with the comments for fear that I will leave something out. First - I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet. I totally understand the emotional devastation and I wish you peace.

Secondly - we had the distinct pleasure of visiting Discovery Cover four years ago and it remains the greatest vacation experience of our lives. We are all so anxious to return.

The princess spa experience sounds divine. I have a gift card for a massage and pedicure that i have saved since November. I plan to use it the first week of June to start the summer off right.

How i wish to have the opportunity to be a part of an active book club like yours. I envy you every time you write a summary post :)

The three week vacation sounds glorious. I am still hoping that I can secure two weeks on Paris in July - but I am not nearly as organized as you.

Have a most blessed and enjoyable mother's day, Sandy!

Unknown said...

What a rollercoaster of a week! I think having the highs and lows so close together makes the feelings all the more stronger. I hope that you have a more even keeled week next week.

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you do have a lot going on! I'm completely jealous about your time at Discovery Cove, by the way. I've always wanted to go there but it's way too expensive for right now. Good for you for getting cheaper tickets!

I was wondering about the Poland thing - it makes more sense now. :)

Happy Mother's Day Sandy! Have an awesome day filled with family friends and fun.

Susan said...

Well, it sounds like you started the week off right, because I don't think you would have survived without that day of pampering under your belt. Too bad you can't start every week that way. My buddy Cindy and I are treating ourselves to a Spa Day on Friday to start off our annual Girls' Weekend extravaganza. We're going to Cleveland (woo-hoo!!) and to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm really excited about that. I haven't been since the first year it opened, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

If I was your neighbor, I would let you cry on my shoulder. ((hugs))

caite said...

Now I can't get the image of a Piggy Heaven out of my mind....

Frances said...

Happy Mother's Day you busy as always woman! See that you have Lit coming up for book group and have to tell you that I was very surprised and impressed by that book. Nothing held back, and the writing is fabulous. Hope your day is calm and peaceful and nothing much is required of you. In Poland. Where you are right now. :)

Trisha said...

Weeks like this, with the big ups and downs, always leave me peevish. It's not a word I use often - or a feeling I have often - but I find the only thing that snaps me out of it is laying down with my iPod and indulging in daydreaming (with a soundtrack) for like an hour or two....

Carrie K. said...

Wow - what a week! I can only imagine the ups and downs emotionally - when our hamster died, the whole family was a wreck for weeks, and my 12-year-old, Noah, still gets teary-eyed when we mention Lucy.

I LOVED The Girl Who Stopped Swimming on audio - love her as a reader, too.

And now I know why I thought you'd already left the country! LOL

Happy Mother's Day, Sandy. :)

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

Wow. Busy week. Sorry about Rufus.

I bought Bent Road at the Festival but I haven't started it yet. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

JoAnn said...

What a roller-coaster... full of highs and lows. Hopefully you will have a smoother ride this week. Happy Mother's Day, Sandy!

Zibilee said...

Oh, you are going to love East of Eden. It was one of the most amazing books I have ever read, and the villain was just so horrible that I couldn't get over it.

It does sound like this was a week with incredible highs, and dark lows, and I am glad that at least the low part is over. It helps that you had a few good days to take you mind off of the sad things.

I hope you have an amazing Mother's Day, and that you get a ton of good books read this week, and can I also chime in and say that I gave my audio copy of The Swan Thieves away before I even listened to it? It didn't sound all that good to me, for some reason.

Jenners said...

It was a lot of highs and lows this week. I so want to try Discovery Cove someday. I think I will wait until the Little One is a bit older so we can fully enjoy it. It sounds wonderful!!!

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming was my first Joshilyn Jackson book. I really enjoyed it. You'll love Thalia I think.

And I love your all-inclusive Mother's Day wishes! You managed to hit them all I think. Happy Mother's Day to you.

bermudaonion said...

Wow, what a week - you had some great highs and such a low point. I don't know how you keep up with yourself. Happy Mother's Day, Sandy!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm so sorry about Rufus, Sandy...the emotional highs and lows seem to be rampant right now. Hang in there and take time for yourself...sometimes just finding a quiet spot to sit even for a few minutes helps me :)

Beth F said...

What a week!!!! Hope you had that pool time yesterday.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

What an amazing week! I think your group will love Cutting For Stone. Try to make some of the Ethiopian food in it.... DELICIOUS!

I made the Dora Wot and it was a big hit.

Ti said...

I wondered if you had flown back from Poland for Rufus.. now everything makes sense.

I know you worry about coming across as bi-polar but you always have so much going on and you always, always make it fun to read about. So don't ever worry about sharing with us. We all get it.

Melissa said...

What a crazy week! I'm sorry to hear about Rufus, but it did sound like some good times this week as well.

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming was one of the first audios I ever listened to, and it forever hooked me on them.

Darlene said...

You are just too busy for me Sandy - I'd never keep up. lol. You are going to love East of Eden - at least I hope you will. It's one of my favorite novels of all time. The day at the spa sounds like something you really needed and I could use. lol. Have a good week my friend. Hugs.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Sandy,

We have visited Florida each December for the last 20 years, apart from 2010 when financial pressures nade it impossible, and have made the trip to Discovery Cove each time.

It is such a relaxing, stress free day, when you are all theme parked out and an experience that all the family looks forward to.

Hope to be back again real soon, before we get too many withdrawal symptoms.

Yvonne

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, I'm sorry to hear about Rufus, but as you've said, he's now in piggy heaven!

My life had been crazy as well and I feel you. I almost gave up on Facebook, felt depressed and only God knows for what reason. I didn't know. I finally had some time to read blogs and my reading has been totally off. I am definitely planning to make a huge comeback. I may have said it many times but this time I mean business. LOL!