Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - A detour to talk about Kevin

Today for the Monday Movie Meme, the Bumbles have asked us for our favorite Katharine Hepburn film, after having spent the weekend in Connecticut near her old stomping ground.  Well, I am sorry to say that despite my love for movies, I've never been a fan of Katharine Hepburn.  It isn't that I don't appreciate her acting skills...Lord knows she was one of the best.  I just have never actually watched many of her films.  Of the 50-something movies she has starred in, I've seen only two (On Golden Pond, and The African Queen).  Therefore, I really don't feel qualified to have an opinion, and wasn't going to post this week.

*****************


But then, my sister posted something movie-ish on Facebook that caught my attention, and thought I would share it with you.  Did you all know that "We Need to Talk About Kevin", the horribly disturbing but brilliant novel by Lionel Shriver, is going to be made into a movie starring Tilda Swinton (Eva), John C. Reilly (Franklin) and Ezra Miller (Kevin)?  I expressed to my sister my concern for the success of adapting such an internal novel to the movie screen.  Her response was "if anyone can do it, Lynne Ramsay can."  I am not familiar with any of her work, but my sister would know.  The movie is scheduled for release on September 2nd in the UK; no word on a US release.  It does not appear that Ms. Shriver is involved in the writing of the screenplay.

 So what do you think?  If the movie comes to the US (and I'm assuming it will), will you see it?  What do you think of the casting? 









15 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't see how it would make a good film (it is such a good book because of the internal thoughts we learn about and I don't see how that can translate to the big screen), but was reassured by the fact that I heard Lionel Shriver talk at the weekend and she said she saw the film for the first time 2 weeks ago and she loved it. I'll be watching it as soon as I can, but I fully expect itto be disappointing in comparison to the book.

Darlene said...

I'm not familiar with this book yet so can't offer a comment. I did pick the book up a while back after you reviewed it. I just need some time to get to it. I do have to say though that I've always adored Katharine Hepburn.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I heard about this awhile ago and
I'm on the fence. I loved the book, but that's because it walked such a tight rope of love and hate. I can't imagine a movie working. But of course, I'm sure I'll still see it. And as for Hepburn, go watch The Philadelphia story and Bringing Up Baby. The 2 you've seen are good, but old Kate is very different from young Kate. I love those early movies because she was just so different and so sassy. Love her.

Kathleen said...

I still need to read the book (crazy, I know) so can't comment on whether the casting sounds right but I always enjoy seeing a film after I have read the book so will look forward to it once it lands here in the States.

Heidenkind said...

In some movies, Katherine Hepburn grates on my nerves (African Queen is one), and in others she's freaking brilliant! I loved her in Bringing Up Baby, Desk Set, and The Philadelphia Story of course.

bermudaonion said...

I might go see it - I have a friend who's willing to see any movie I suggest.

Unknown said...

I haven't read the book yet but I have read some reviews and articles about enough to have been pretty surprised when I read it was being made into a movie. So often the books are better than the corresponding movie even when with books that we can see as good movies so it's hard to believe this one will work out. I'm not a big fan of Tilda Swinton, either.

All that said, I'm interested in reading what the critics etc. have to say when the movie comes out.

Jenners said...

I would go see it out of curiosity. I can't imagine how they would adapt it but I've been surprised before. Tilda Swinton is pretty intense. I could see her playing Eva.

Unknown said...

I think I'd go see it, I'm not sure how the book will move from reading it to film. I read it a long time ago. I think the casting is interesting, the adult actors I know can be very edgy.

ds said...

I don't know the book at all, but anything that gets the attention of Tilda Swinton is well worth a look. Thanks for the heads up!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I haven't read the book but have heard so much about the storyline. Based on reviews alone, I'm interested to see what everyone also thinks about Tilda Swinson cast in the film since she's a bit creepy, too, no? I'll have to read this book sooner rather than later and get myself all freaked out.

Zibilee said...

Oh my! I can't imagine Kevin being turned into a movie, but I will definitely see it when it comes out, and that photo does seem to capture some of the intensity of the book. It will be interesting to see what it's like, and how all the internal stuff plays out. Thanks for letting me know about this! I had no idea!

Bybee said...

I have to see this movie!

Jenny said...

You've convinced me that I MUST read Shriver's books!

Alice said...

This is exciting news. Tilda Swinton has always intrigued me. I can't wait to watch this movie but I haven't read the book! I am planning to. Definitely.