Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Salon: The Calm Before the Storm?

A fair morning to you all.  I feel like the past week was probably the closest thing to calm or normal as it could ever get.  Not enough of those these days!  And looking forward over the next couple of weeks, which will be filled with end-of-year tests, concerts, parties, and preparation for a summer of travel, blah blah blah, I am languishing in this brief moment of peace.

Some of the stress-free activities were lunch with an old friend, walking with my buddy Susan, some closet purging (where do all these clothes come from?), and year-end party for my golf league, and some meetings at school.  I've signed on to be the Treasurer for the Home & School Association next year, so wish me luck with that!  I took the kids to Universal on Saturday morning just for a couple of hours of roller coasters, then we went to see 3D IMAX Thor (woo doggy that Chris Hemsworth is some serious eye candy - I think I drooled a little).  Saturday night my husband and I went to a dinner party, and today I shall participate in my first Skype book club discussion of "Amaryllis in Blueberry".

Things feel a little slow in the reading department, but I'm feeling pretty good about my blogging schedule.  Right now I have read enough books to get me through the end of June (Ha!  Now I just need to write the reviews!) which takes the pressure off when I'm away in June.  In print this week, I did finish "Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy" by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson, which tickled my funny bone.  I am about a hundred pages into "Skinny" by Diana Spechler, which the author kindly sent me after I called her "cool" in a comment on Heather's blog

On audio I finished "The Girl Who Stopped Swimming" by Joshilyn Jackson, an author that I love and wish I could be friends with.  She is so darned cool (there's that adjective again). I also finished "Unfamiliar Fishes" by Sarah Vowell, who is cool too.  I did find that this audio was short on funny and long on fact, but I'll never stop loving her.  Now I am about halfway through "The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott" by Kelly O'Connor McNees, and I'm so totally charmed. It is narrated by Emily Janice Card, who also narrated "Revolution", and is the main reason why I picked up this audio.  She is wonderful.

For all of you preparing to attend BEA in New York, I will be there in spirit my friends!  My hope is that someday I will be there with you.  I'm putting it on my calendar for May 2018, when my kids no longer require my services (or sooner if we strike it rich and I hire a nanny).

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.  What are you up to today? 

  

21 comments:

Beth F said...

What a week!!!!! But some great activities. I hope I can finish the book before book club today. Ha!

Unknown said...

On the calendar for 2018. I love it. Since it's always held during the school year, I'll have to wait until I retire. You'd think the people running the show would be aware of that and hold it during summer break once in a while.

Many of we teachers are also very serious readers.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

2018 - what an optimist! :--)

Trisha said...

I definitely drooled. He is one giant piece of yummy. I can't really remember what the movie is about though.....

I already miss BEA. So sad I am not going this year. :( But I will mark down 2018... :)

Molly said...

Sandy - you crack me up! Your "peaceful" week would be an event filled week for me :)

I love the idea of a skype bookclub! I will have to look into something like that - perhaps I could add that to the summer list of activities.

You are certainly the poster "child" for moving to Orlando. How fun to be able to go to Universal Studios for "just a couple of hours" I may have to reconsider early retirement to Florida!

I am so jealous of your upcoming extended visit to Europe this summer. Wordless Wednesday will be fun to watch upon your return!

JoAnn said...

It is definitely that time of year again!! Try not to stress too much.

I hope to get to BEA one of these years... ideally before 2018!

Unknown said...

OK. I'll put May 2018 in my diary too - if I'm still blogging then I think it would be about time I actually went to the big event!

Anonymous said...

2018, huh? That's some serious advance planning! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh I'm glad you are getting the opportunity to read Skinny! I hope you like it. Diana Spechler is cool, isn't she? :)

Alyce said...

It still sounds like you had a busy week, but I'm glad it was calmer. I loved the title of the Sue Ellen book, it made me smile.

Iliana said...

Oh Sandy, I've been so behind in blog reading that I just read about sweet piggy's passing! I'm so sorry. Hope you guys are doing ok. It must be awful to lose a pet. Sending you some hugs.

And, hope your week will be a good one despite all the stuff you have going on! And, count me in as also being bummed out about not going to BEA - again! One day...

ds said...

Ah, Europe in June; BEA in 2018. Sounds like a plan ;) Enjoy the whirlwind that is the End of the School Year (boy am I glad to be finished with that, sort of), and your trip.

I think Sarah Vowell is cool, too. Didn't know she had a new book out. Will look forward to your review!

Have a great week!

Carrie K. said...

I just got Revolution on audio from the library - so excited! Of course, there are a couple books ahead of it, but I hope to get to it soon.

Have a great week - I hope it is another calm one for you. :)

Zibilee said...

Oh, so glad to hear that this week was a little less stressful for you. I was starting to worry a bit with all the ups and downs you had last week. I also am hoping to read Unfamiliar Fishes really soon, and I am excited because it is my first Vowell. I am really looking forward to book club this week, and I will have a stack of books and a mocha muffin with your name on them!

Jenners said...

Sometimes I think your calm is other people's storms. : )

As far as Thor, were there any scary parts that would terrify a sensitive 6-year-old who just happens to love super heroes? Is it more cartoonish than real scary? I'd like to take him but feel like I need more input from people who've seen it first.

bermudaonion said...

I wish I was I was that far ahead with my reading! I feel like I'm scrambling right now.

Melody said...

How I wish I could read as fast as you, Sandy! This year has been a slow reading year for me; these days I'm just glad to finish one book per week!!

Ti said...

Hey, 2018 I can do. Guess I'll see you there ;)

Darlene said...

Sandy, you are always so busy! You amaze me! I just started reading Skinny yesterday and it's good. I can't wait to get back to my reading today after some blog hopping. Hope you have a great week.

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you have been staying busy as always. It is nice to look forward to your trip next month. I can't wait for my next vacation in August.

Alice said...

What a week! I hope to finish The Five People You Meet in Heaven by today, if possible. Have a wonderful week ahead, Sandy!