Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Salon: The Countdown

 Happy Sunday morning friends!  So we are all still here after warnings of Armageddon?  I felt reconciled with God, so I wasn't worried much.  I'd like to thank that wacko, though, for freaking out my kids.  Priorities in place though, as we were at my buddy's wine store at 6:00pm, sipping Cabernet. 

So a little busier this week.  We start the parade of the "lasts".  Last walk with my friend Susan for the summer.  Last day (ever) of gifted class for my son.  The spring "Glee" concert.  The last day of play for my golf league (thank God, since I don't particularly like sweat dripping off my nose when I putt). 

We had Books, Babes and Bordeaux book club this week, and not only discussed Lori Roy's "Bent Road", but also had the privilege of talking to her via Skype (and phone after some technical difficulties).  We all found this to be a very dark read, definitely character-driven, some loving it more than others.  This was definitely one instance of a narrator mucking up an otherwise respectable book.  We all appreciated Lori's explanation of certain aspects of the plot though, and look forward to her next book.

I pretty much have tunnel vision at this point, as we are ten days and counting before our trip.  Thus my focus has been on the preparation for our leaving.  My husband and I have made the trip to Poland something like seven times, so you'd think I'd have this down cold.  But there is always a ton of things to line up.  Appropriate clothes, gifts for the family, packing strategy, arrangement of house sitter, payment of bills, wrapping up end-of-school stuff, blah blah blah.  But between you and me?  My big focus is making sure I've got my blog where it needs to be.  I'd like to get all my reviews done.  I came up with three weeks worth of Monday Movie Meme themes for Molly and Andy so I could pre-post.  The week of June 6th is Audiobook Week, and of course I want to participate so I have those posts to do.  I'm getting there, slowly.  So.  I will try to be my sociable self for the next ten days, but no promises. 

As a result of my distractions, my reading has been off.  I did finish "The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott" by Kelly O'Connor McNees on audio, and I am just besotted.  I LOVED that audio.  Prepare for gushing when that review comes your way.  I am now almost through "The House Of Tomorrow" by Peter Bognanni, and again, I am overwhelmed with love for this story.  Definitely a good week for audio.

In print, I finished "Skinny" by Diana Spechler and enjoyed it.  I had some issue niggles, but I'm still working through them before I write my review.  Rhapsody Jill and I will be posting our thoughts on the same day for this one.  After hearing thirty million times how awesome Jo Nesbo is, I did start "The Redbreast", but am only about 50 pages in.  I'm hoping I can finish it this week, but with the way things are going, I'm not holding my breath.

We have no big plans today, except for church.  My goal is to get another review or two written, maybe get a pedicure, do a little reading, and possibly finish "The House of Tomorrow".  What is on your agenda?     

 

22 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I loved House of Tomorrow too! I have a cold and am hoping to lay low. I want to see if I can finish Year of Wonders which I am enjoying reading even if the plague is so dang gross and depressing!

Alice said...

I'm thinking what to read next and I have in mind some thrillers. I'm in the mood for that. Have loads of fun for your upcoming trip! And I'm waiting to read that gushing review of yours.

Unknown said...

Today, I'm finally going to get all of the beans planted. Then the vegetable garden will all be in the ground and I'll just need to water it.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I need to finish Bumped and get it back to the library today since I am leaving tomorrow for NY. Have to see what clothes fit me (ha ha). Have to pack them. Have to leave notes all around for my husband (which he will totally ignore)

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad to see all my friends survived the Rapture! LOL I know the feeling about the blog. I've got one more post to write so I can head out in the morning. I'm feeling a little panicky, though, because I won't be home long before we leave again. June is CRAZY!

Anonymous said...

LOL about the Rapture! Ironically, hubby and I attend church at 6 pm Saturday nights (mostly so we can sleep in on Sundays) and I figured that at least if it really did happen, I'd be in the house of God. :) But thankfully, we all made it. Too bad your kids were worried, though - that guy certainly is a crackpot.

I have already had my bike ride this morning and written a review, I need to write a few more and then I am going to run a few errands and hopefully make some time to read! Sundays fly by way too fast around here.

Darlene said...

Sounds like you did have a really good week in audios. I love when that happens. Good books always leave you feeling good too.

I a so jealous of your trip to Poland. That's one place I'd love to visit. I can't wait to see your posts and pictures when you get back. Well all miss seeing you arou d though!

I hope you have a great week and get lots done!

Zibilee said...

You get through so many audios that it amazes me! I just finished Packing for Mars on audio last night, and thought it was a lot of fun. We are now listening to something called The Iron Hunt, with a narrator that is really dramatic! My mother recommended this to me, and even though I have yet to read an urban fantasy, I am giving it a try. It sounds like you have a lot of writing to do before you leave, so I wish you luck with it all. You know I will be stopping by to leave my two cents when you are gone!

ds said...

The ever-expanding, never diminishing pile...of laundry; giving the cat his shot; locating said cat; wishing it would stop raining long enough to get the rest of the herbs into actual pots. Reading some. Blogging some. Work.
I'd much rather be going to Poland!
Have a fabulous trip, and take LOTS of pictures!!

Unknown said...

Hey Sandy, how long will you be in Poland? Our priest is from Poland, so we get lots of interesting stories.
We've had graduation, so my reading is really all off!!! I'm hoping to get it back. I just started Exposure by Therese Fowler, such a timely topic.
Wishing you a good week!

Julie P. said...

I can't believe you can schedule that far in advance. You are truly amazing!!!

JoAnn said...

You're so organized, I know you'll get everything done! We had the entire family over today to help get the docks in. Now it's time for my father to get his boat in, then it will officially be summer.

Unknown said...

Wine makes so much in life better!

You are so well-organized, Sandy! I'd have all I could do to get ready for a trip and you're able to get your blog all set and ready as well. Fantastic!

I picked up The Redbreast, too, after reading so much gushing about Jo Nesbo (and seeing his photo!. I haven't started it yet, though. I also picked up Henning Mankell's first Det. Wallander book since I watched a few episodes on Masterpiece Mystery and they were great.

I'm looking forward to your review The House of Tomorrow and The Lost Summer of Louise May Alcott, too.

Iliana said...

My big plan was to go to a craft fair and I did and I bought myself a little bracelet so I say a good Sunday.

You are much more organized when going on vacation than I am. I typically just put the blog on hold and I post a picture if I can but it really is a vacation for me from everything :)

Jenners said...

You amaze me in all that you manage to pack into a week. And how often does your book club meet? It seems like much more than once a month. I love that your big priority is your blog. I would most likely just abandon mine for the time being!

Melody said...

I wish I've your organising skill when going on vacation is concerned; nowadays my reading pace is getting on so slow that should I go on a vacation, I'm afraid my blog will have to go hiatus till I'm back.

Have fun on your upcoming trip and I look forward to your posts!

Nise' said...

Sorry your kids were upset. Mine did make a point to call me to tell me there were still here and to make sure I was as well. ;o) Have a fantastic trip. I just brought home Bent Road.

Unknown said...

I haven't found a good audio recently, but I have just bought Gods in Alabama on your recommendation, so hopefully my luck will change soon.

I hope all your holiday plans go well. Good luck with the final packing :-)

Ti said...

I had great fun checking out all the FB and Tweets about the Rapture. First off, if something like this ever happens again, they need to create a central webpage with a proper countdown. Folks didn't know when it was supposed to happen. 3pm, 6pm.. Eastern? Pacific? Central? Come on folks. Coordinate, will ya?

Melissa said...

Even though you've done the trip before, big trips ALWAYS take a lot of planning.

Glad to hear it was a good audio week! I am almost done with Girl Who Played with Fire, so my next audio is already lined up, but I'm keeping my eyes open for the one after that!

Kathleen said...

That whole end of the world thing was so annoying, wasn't it? Luckily for me my son at 17 was old enough to understand he didn't need to worry. Good luck with all of your trip preparations. I'm sure you'll read loads on the plane ride over to make up for not reading as much now!

Meg @ write meg! said...

There's always so much to do before a big trip -- when we were getting ready to go to the UK last month, I was pretty sure I was going to have a nervous breakdown! Just so much to plan and take care of, though it's totally worth it. I hope you have a marvelous time!