Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday Salon: I hope there are no appointments in heaven

 Good morning, friendlings.  So by that title, you know immediately that I'm OVER appointments right this minute.  In order to wrap things up before our travel, I experienced the third circle of hell...appointments.  Good Lord.  I had them every day this week. Some of them doctors, others to work on my beauty.  All of you book lovers would then say "well, at least while you were sitting and waiting, you could read" but that only carries me so far.  While I was sitting and waiting, I was actually making my lists.  But it's all cool.  It had to be done.  The compensation was a business dinner last night at a lovely Italian restaurant here in town.  Wine, food, and friends made the boo boos go away.   

I feel really really good about where I am right now.  I have persisted and have managed to get reviews done for all of my finished books right now, which should take me through early July.  I got my Monday Movie Memes written.  Jen at Devourer of Books sneaked a peek of the topics for Audiobook Week 2011 and I've done a couple of those.  I believe I am leaving unencumbered.

Very exciting moment late this week when I received not one but SIX copies of the audiobook "Fallen", Karin Slaughter's latest.  AudioGo, I love you.  It will be next up in the listening queue, and when I get home, I'm going to have me a killer giveaway!

Another highlight...although Uncle Stevie has officially retired from his writing gig at Entertainment Weekly, he stopped in this week to offer his Summer Reading List.  I was thrilled to see that "Buried Prey" was on there, which I just gave five stars.  Also included were "The Sentry" by Robert Crais, "The Cypress House" by Michael Koryta, and "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson (a pre-blogging read for me).  There are some other great ones on his list, so you really need to check it out.  I was so geeked out, I even had a dream Friday night that Stevie and I hung out and talked about Jack Reacher.

So, speaking of Jack Reacher.  As you may or may not know, he is the dude-ish protagonist in the Lee Childs crime series, and I just finished the latest on audio this week, "Worth Dying For".  Yeah baby!  I then started "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman, something I've had loaded on the iPod for over a year.  I'm totally digging the British and Caribbean accents of the narrator.  Wow.

As far as print reading, I don't even know why I bother.  I'm so scattered, I can't manage to sit for more than five minutes, but I have gotten about halfway through Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast".  This is a really really worthy crime thriller, more literary than most, but I think it will have to be finished on the airplane.  We'll see.  (I'm slightly mad at the fact that our flight leaves in the evening, and therefore I will be tempted to *gasp* sleep, instead of read.  When else do I get undisturbed reading?  Sleep is not in the Master Plan people.  I've got my e-book light and I'm going for it.)

I hope all of you lucky ducks at BEA this week had fun.  I got update e-mails from my stand-in representative, Rhapsody Jill. I think she hugged everyone for me, and gathered all relative gossip and tips and stuff.  Now please be sure and get those recaps and photos posted before Wednesday evening!

I hope you all have a wonderful three-day weekend.  The rest of ours will be spent packing and organizing; kids will be preparing for their finals.  Maybe I can get a few more pages of Nesbo in.  This Sunday Salon will be back in business on June 26th! 

23 comments:

Zibilee said...

Yay! I am so glad that you got all your posts in order because I know how hard you have been working on those! I also hate appointments, and try not to schedule too many in one week. Though I could ostensibly read, there is something uncomfortable about reading in waiting rooms. Here's to a good week for you, and hopefully you get a few hours to sit and read this time around!

Unknown said...

Happy Sunday to you. I scrolled down your front page and saw that there is a new Zafron Ruiz book which I somehow missed altogether. I'll have to get on the wait list asap.

Literary Feline said...

It sounds like everything is coming together for you, Sandy! I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Meghan said...

I hope you have an amazing time on your trip, Sandy! I have seen quite a bit about Jo Nesbo and actually own The Snowman, so I hope you continue to enjoy The Redbreast.

Trisha said...

I am a list maker too! And actually I am more likely to make lists while waiting for appointments than I am to be reading (typically not long enough to read more than 15-20 pages, and I like to read in much larger chunks. :)

Alyce said...

Appointments are a pain - I hope yours are done for a while! I have some coming up and may even need to add an extra (I hope not) because I accidentally dumped out about half of my pills into a pan of bacon grease this morning. I guess I should wake up fully before I try to take my medicine. :) I don't know what the procedure is at the pharmacy for refilling half a batch of pills that jumped to their deaths in a sticky pot of grease.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

bermudaonion said...

I've got a lot going on this month and I am so not ready blog wise. I'm very impressed that you are, though! I saw Rhapsody Jill at BEA and she is every bit as awesome as you think she is.

Julie P. said...

We missed you at BEA! But I did love getting to meet Jill. She's amazing!

Heidenkind said...

Yay, trips! Have fun. :)

Carrie K. said...

Wow - you are one organized mama! I hope your last days at home go smoothly and you get lots of reading time. Wish the kids luck on finals!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

There were a million audio copies of Fallen at Blogger Con, but I got the hardback so I only took the hardback. I'm still a little afraid of doing fiction in the car. I only did one so far - Room - and missed my turn many times! :--)

Melody said...

Wow, sounds like you've lots of things on hand but I'm sure you'll manage them all, after all you're so organised and so great in multi-tasking! ;)

Have loads of fun!!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Appointments are exhausting and pesky...especially all the waiting! :P

JoAnn said...

I thought I saw the topics for audiobook week, but can't seem to find them now. :-(

Anonymous said...

Through July?? Dang, that's a lotta posts! Hurray for getting it all done.

S said...

No sleep till Brooklyn! I hope rest is coming your way soon so you can enjoy some peace. With books, of course!

Check out our free book giveaway: http://www.makehappyblog.com/2011/05/27/giveaway-tropical-depression-by-arin-greenwood/

Beth F said...

Missed you and wish you could have been at BEA -- but we were happy to have Jill!

Jenners said...

Could I hire you to manage my life and my blog? I seriously don't know how you do it!!!

Iliana said...

You are amazing - I can't believe you wrote out all of your posts and reviews! Want to do mine :)

Have a wonderful trip Sandy. I hope you'll be able to get an internet connection every once a while so you can share some pics.

Marie Cloutier said...

SIX copies?? Whoa!! :-)

Melissa said...

I don't often have book jealousy, but between the newest Davenport and now FALLEN I'm terribly jealous of your books! Glad the appts are over for a bit. :)

Alice said...

I really need to read my Lee Child books soon. I hear Jack Reacher calling out to me... At least you have time for beauty appointments. I need time for more sleep. Crazy schedule here but packing everything in nicely and hopefully I survive at the end of it all.

Kathleen said...

I hope by now you are enjoying your trip and that the frenzy of all of the last minute stuff you had to do to prepare to leave is all behind you.