Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - Author, Author

Our beloved Bumbles are such well-rounded folks.  Not only are they all about movies, travel, baseball, photography and gardening, but they are avid book lovers too.  And this week, with many book bloggers attending BEA in New York, Molly and Andy are quick to remind those of us left behind that we can always participate in Armchair BEA.

So with all those bookish thoughts, Molly and Andy turned their attention to movies about authors and writers.  Of course, the Bumbles mentioned my favorite movie about an author, "Misery".  But there are so many other choices!  I definitely had to whittle down my list on this one.  From my original list of a dozen films, here are my favorites:

1.  The Shining - of course.  You think I'd forget this one?  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

2.  Sideways - I realize this movie is really all about wine, but part of the mid-life crisis experienced by Miles is caused by not being able to get his book published.  I suspect after his wino road trip, he had plenty to write about. 

3.  Adaptation - This movie really touched my heart despite the fact that I really can't stand Nicholas Cage (but Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper are in rare form).  There is alot going on with this plot, but at its core, it is about a passionless screenwriter attempting to write an adaptation of a non-fiction book.  Just talking about it makes me want to watch it again...

4.  Funny Farm - I was pissed that I forgot to mention this book last week when we were talking about farms, so here we go.  Andy and Elizabeth pack up their life and move to Vermont so Andy can write the Great American Novel.  But then all hell breaks loose.  Absolutely hilarious movie, and one I refer to in my daily life. 

5.  Capote -  Like Adaptation, this movie grabbed me by the hair, and I had to watch it multiple times.  Capote was really an amazing guy (and wrote one of the best true crime novels of all time), and Phillip Seymour Hoffman did him justice.       

Alright my bookish friends, this is right up our alley so let's have it!  
      

18 comments:

Ana S. said...

Adaptation is one of my all-time favourite films. Sounds like I should watch the others!

ds said...

I thought of Capote too, and I loved Adaptation; it was a really interesting book, and they caught it well on screen...

Zibilee said...

How about Stranger than Fiction with Will Ferrell? I loved that movie and would love to see it again. I am also going to add Adaptation to my queue. I always get the best movie recommendations from you, Sandy!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you picked Funny Farm, as I grew up watching it with my family, and we are huge Chevy Chase fans; such a hilarious, under-rated film!

Unknown said...

I'll just add two:

Sunset Blvd. is narrated by a jaded screenwriter.

Infamous: the second movie about Capote working on In Cold Blood. I think it's the better of the two.

and Barton Fink.

Okay, that's three.

Carrie K. said...

Have you seen Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell? I usually can't stand him, but I love that movie.

kayerj said...

The Bumbles are well rounded--you've picked some movies I've seen on the other participants posts but I'm not familiar with any of them. So many movies (and books) so little time. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Alice said...

I haven't watched any of these...

Heidenkind said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's is about a writer, no?

Unknown said...

Great list, Sandy! The Shining and Sideways are perfect for The Bumbles' theme. I'm smacking my head for forgetting two good films!

Interesting that Funny Farm fit last week's theme and this week! Another good one and you got to use it today after forgetting last week! Yay!

And we share Capote, what a movie, and Adaptation, I loved this movie!

Kathleen said...

The Shining is at the top of my list!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I'm with you, I love Adaptation and can't stand Cage. I second Zibilee's recommendation of Stranger Than Fiction. It's a great movie. Funny Farm is wonderful too. That squirrel!

Alyce said...

I feel lame - I'm drawing a complete blank on this one. :) I guess I need to watch more movies! The Shining is a nice choice though, I wouldn't have thought of that one off the top of my head.

The Gal Herself said...

I completely forgot about the publishing angle in Sideways! Nice inclusion.

And as a huge fan of In Cold Blood -- I thought it was as moving and beautiful as it was horrifying -- I loved Capote. The genius of his writing wasn't only in the prose but in the details, and I loved learning how he got to the emotional truth of the case.

Nicole said...

I haven't watched any of these movies but noticed Sideways mentioned on a shopping list that I was reading about wine a few months ago. I may check that one out!

The Madlab Post

Marie Cloutier said...

Capote was amazing! And it's based on one of my favorite books, too!

Bybee said...

A large portion of Julia was dedicated to following Lillian Hellman's frustration at getting her first play written. Remember Dashiell Hammett (Jason Robards) being right there to jeer ("I don't know what happened, but you'd better tear this up and start over.") and cheer her on?

Jenners said...

I would have been SHOCKED if you didn't have The Shining.