Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Salon: Engulfed in Chores


Happy Sunday friends! Down here in sunny Florida, we have had some truly gorgeous weather, so yet again, I've been a walking fool this week. I logged in another 25 miles, which took me to a year-to-date total of 104 miles! This exercise, along with the Game On Diet, has seriously helped me with my efforts to lose some weight (13 pounds so far).

So what do I think about the Game On Diet? For someone like me, who was having a good old time eating everything within arm's reach during the holidays, it was like hitting a brick wall. Sometimes drastic situations require drastic measures though, and it kick-started a whole laundry list of healthy behaviors, like drinking water, getting enough sleep, limiting the alcohol, and eating small portions five times a day. If you like vegetables (which I do not!) it is perfect because many of the leafy greens are free foods, which you eat until you turn green. I found the key to Game On success, however, was the support system in which you surround yourself. A enthusiastic set of team members will be there when you slipped up and ate a cookie, or are feeling depressed or weak. I did find the food requirements were very restrictive and I was hungry all the time, but I can't really argue with a 13 pound weight loss. Going forward, I will loosely stick to the rules and continue to work towards my fighting weight (aka the weight that allows me to get into a bathing suit for Hawaii and not embarrass myself!).

In the reading department, I've been moving kinda sloooooow. I started My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier, and am finding it deliciously atmospheric, just like Rebecca, but I never get to just sit down and read lately. And at night, probably because of all the walking I've been doing, I fall fast asleep after a page or two. I was able to finish Andre Agassi's Open this week, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then I started David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames on audio (narrated by Sedaris). I've never read him before, and am having a ball. This guy is freaking hilarious! Is it me, or is his comedic timing and delivery reminiscent of Sarah Vowell? Anyway, I can't imagine how the written word could be any comparison to listening to this guy deliver his sarcastic, one-liners in his high, whiny voice. He's going to make me bust a gut.
I am preparing myself for what is going to be a chaotic February. We are renovating our master bathroom, and the demolition starts this Tuesday and construction will last for a month. Oooh, fun, I get to share a bathroom with my children! I am starting to get my head around the Spring Scholastic Book Fair in late March, the school has a big Grandparents' event tomorrow, my dad and I are going to start hauling dozens (hundreds?) of bags of mulch from Lowe's for my yard, and a few other yard projects on top of that. Sounds like a drag, but I always feel so darned good about life when I accomplish something!

Hope you all have a restful Sunday. I will be fairly occupied this week, but will make my best attempt at making my rounds!



27 comments:

Alice said...

Enjoy your weekend, Sandy! I finally managed to finish making rounds at all my favorite blogs. :)

Ana S. said...

Sigh, I know what you mean about never having the chance to sit down to read anymore. Stupid life, getting in the way of books :P

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Congratulations on the 13 pounds and 104 miles! You've achieved some great fitness goals in 2010 so far!

Julie P. said...

You are so dedicated, and I'm so proud of you -- 13 pounds. I had a bad week last week but I'm starting fresh again tomorrow. I've been sick with sinus issues and I just let myself go!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

WOW, you are off to a terrific start for 2010 with your diet/exercise plan. Congrats!

Frances said...

Wow. What a slacker. :) Really, Sandy, I was actually surprised to read here that you sleep. All this time, I thought the only way you got all this stuff done was by NOT sleeping. There goes another one of my theories.

Think there has been a little post holiday malaise among a lot of readers in January. Many seem to have temporarily misplaced their oomph. But I am sure it is coming back to all of us. Sedaris and Du Maurier are great antidotes to the blahs too. Happy reading!

Harvee said...

Love Daphne DuMaurier and have Sedaris' book to read. Wish I could go on sunny walks, but we are snowed under in the midwest. Enjoy your Florida temps!

Hope you'll visit My Sunday Salon

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on losing 13 pounds! That's fantastic!

Beth F said...

Way to go on the pounds lost and the miles walked. You are doing fantastic! I'm on GameOn Lite and didn't drop weight this week, but didn't gain either, so I'm happy for that.

JoAnn said...

Wow - congratulations on the weight loss! That's great!! David Sedaris is fabulous on audio. I need to get another of his books soon...we were also luck enough to see him about a year ago. My face hurt from laughing! Enjoy your Sunday.

caite said...

13 lbs is excellent. I think that is about what I have lost with three weeks of flu and intestinal virus this month. Does that count?

And I would go walking but we have about 8" of snow on the ground that fell last night. I count shoveling by driveway and sidewalk at 6 a.m. as good exercise though.

Molly said...

Thirteen pounds and 100+ miles in one month?! WAY TO GO!!!! You will have to post pictures of your svelte body on the beaches of Hawaii :)

You are one busy lady --- but I am sure you would have no other way. It sounds as though you will have a new house (or bedroom anyway) and a new body by the end of March. How exciting is that?!

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you have been able to get in a lot of walking, Sandy! Your doing so good! I think support with any weight loss program is key.

I love the sound of "deliciously atmospheric" that you use to describe MY COUSIN RACHEL.

I hope the renovations go well, Sandy! Our master bathroom needs a major redo, but because we don't know exactly when we'll be moving (the city still wants to tear our house down for their project), we aren't able to make any plans like that.

I hope you have a great week, Sandy!

Lisa said...

Sedaris's books are funny but listening to him is such a treat. He is a genius!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on walking so far!

I'm really pleased to hear that you are enjoying Sedaris. I've been wanting to listen to him for a while - I'm going to reserve an audio book from the library right now!

Trisha said...

Congrats on the 13 pounds! Very cool. I'm both impressed and duly chastised for not staying on top of my own walking and eating. I'm heading your way this Friday - Ft. Myer's Beach actually. One week in the sun and then back to frigid Chicago. :)

Melody said...

Congrats on all your accomplishments, Sandy!

I haven't read anything by Daphne Du Maurier yet but I do have Rebecca in my pile! Can't wait to hear what you'll think of My Cousin Rachel.

Jenners said...

Wow! 13 pounds. That is amazing and wonderful. keep up the good work.

And I love love David Sedaris!! I never heard him narrate but now I think I should. I've read pretty much all of his books and find them endlessly entertaining.

Unknown said...

I only do Mr. Sedaris on audio. You must get his early books on audio. Back when he was young he really had to work for a living so his audio books were much better than the more recent ones are. He did many more voices, had his sister Amy do some of the female voices and he could be counted to do his Billie Holiday imitation which is so funny. He does her sining Away in a Manger in Holidays on Ice. It's a riot.

bermudaonion said...

Wow! Congratulations on doing so well with the weight loss! Good luck with the renovation - we joke that we just move when something needs to be done with our house.

Iliana said...

Ooh, you are reading Sedaris! Love him. When You are Engulfed in Flames is not my favorite, that would be Naked but it's still funny. If you ever get to hear him read it's the best.

Congrats on the 13 pounds! That's wonderful.

S. Krishna said...

13 pounds in four weeks is AMAZING - great job!

I don't have a lot of time to read either. I have way too much to do these days!

The Bumbles said...

Excellent work on your weight loss, exercise regime and diet. Though I don't think you should be hungry if you are eating enough of the right stuff. Or maybe you aren't eating enough of the right stuff? If you are exercising so diligently, maybe you are burning more than your intake provides energy for?

As for the renovation - fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and on time. Just think how nice it will be when it is done - I used to dream of a long, luxurious shower in my new shower to get me through the renovation hell.

Kathleen said...

Congratulations on your 13 pound weight loss...that is beyond AWESOME and not easy to do, I know! I hope you end up enjoying and can't wait to hear what you will think of My Cousin Rachel! Hope you have a great week.

Ti said...

Thirteen pounds is awesome! I lost 7lbs this second time around so that puts me at around 25 lbs total between the two rounds.

I loved My Cousin Rachel. It is hard to find the time to sit down and read though.

Zibilee said...

Awesome accomplishment with the weight loss and all the exercise! I know I need to ramp things up because I keep gaining and losing the same five pounds over and over again! I also am really glad that you are loving the Sedaris. He is a favorite of mine, and I have almost all of his books. If you ever get the chance to see him do a live reading, don't miss it! I hope you have a great week!

Melissa said...

Congrats on the weight loss! You are doing an amazing job.

I've read Sedaris, but the book didn't really work for me. I tried him on audio but the whiny voice turned me off too. Maybe I should give him another try...