Sunday, January 31, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly


This week's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles is all about the highs and lows of an actor's career. I mean, you see a performance worthy of an Oscar, and are mightily impressed. The next year, you think "what the HELL were they thinking? Did they have some gambling debts to pay off?". Here are some actors that have made some questionable choices (trust me, these break my heart as much as it breaks yours):


Robert DeNiro

The Good: The Godfathers, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver
The Bad: Analyze This, Analyze That
The Ugly: The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle


Dustin Hoffman

The Good: The Graduate, Tootsie, Rain Man
The Bad: Meet the Fockers
The Ugly: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium


Nicholas Cage

The Good: Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas, Moonstruck
The Bad: 8MM, Bankok Dangerous
The Ugly: Ghost Rider


Meryl Streep

The Good: Where to start????? Too many
The Bad: She Devil, Death Becomes Her
The Ugly: Before and After


Al Pacino

The Good: The Godfathers, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface
The Bad: 88 Minutes, Heat
The Ugly: Gigli



16 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Now see - I thought DeNiro was funny in Analyze This (though he was much funnier in Meet the Parents and in Midnight Run). And I thought Hoffman and Babs were good in Meet the Fockers - though the script itself sucked.

I would add Raising Arizona and Wild At Heart to Nicolas Cage's "Good" roles. I left him alone this week having picked on him before for his "Ugly" choices.

I forgot about Meryl's poor choices - I honestly thought there wasn't a bad thing she'd done. Sad to be reminded!

Iliana said...

Haha... This was great. I have to agree with all of your choices :)

Alyce said...

You cracked me up with the gambling debts thing. :)

I think I am one of the few that isn't annoyed by Dustin Hoffman in Mr. Magorium, and I think that's only because I have a very low bar when it comes to kids' films. (Although I draw the line at the Chipmunks.)

I really liked Death Becomes her when I watched it, but I'm not sure if I'd like it now. It's funny how some things can seem really funny in junior high, yet when you grow older. . .

Lisa said...

Oh I was with you all the way until Heat--I love that movie!

Alice said...

Ahhh... I remember Death Becomes Her. It weirded me out...

Susan said...

Those bad movies of Meryl's might have been real stink-o-ramas, but she is always consistent in her performances. I haven't seen Before and After...didn't even remember it.

I actually thought Hoffman was funny in Fockers. "If it's yellow, let it mellow. It it's brown, send it down." lol

The Gal Herself said...

I hadn't thought about Nic Cage. You're right. When he's good, he's very, very good ...

Heather G. said...

You have some good ones too. I totally agree about Meryl Streep and Nicky Cage...Ghost Rider was fun visually! But just a horrible movie.

Here's mine: http://sandynawrot.blogspot.com/2010/01/monday-movie-meme-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Jenners said...

It is hard to believe how such gifted actors can do some of these films isn't it?

Literary Feline said...

While I might switch some of those bad and ugly responses, I agree with the good ones versus the not so good ones you list.

My first thought was of Johnny Depp.
He's good in just about everything he does, I think, but some of his movies were better than others.

Julie said...

It's hard to believe that great actors like DeNiro, Pacino, and Hoffman would make crap movies like Rocky and Bullwinkle, 88 Minutes, and Mr. Magorium.

kayerj said...

I agree--Meryl Streep, isn't she good in everything. I even loved "Death Becomes Her"

Anonymous said...

This one was hard because so many of my favorites are rarely in anything ugly!
I did like Analyze This. I don't that I saw the second one. Hm, guess maybe I didn;t like the first one tht much :)

Zibilee said...

Heehee, I have seen an awful lot of these movies, and must agree with your assessment. I also feel that lately Pacino and DeNiro can't get into a good movie. I keep hoping, but am never rewarded!

Heidenkind said...

Aw, I kind of liked Death Becomes Her. But I saw it when I was really young. It was the first time I heard about breast saggage. I was shocked!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love the way you did this Good, the Bad and the Ugly rating for actors. Even the best have some horrible movies!