Sunday, January 3, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - Game On


This week's Monday Movie Meme from The Bumbles is all about sports. Apparently, our little sport-loving Bumbles featured this topic in the meme's infancy, but nobody was paying attention. I'm already going to tell you, my head hurts. So many great ones to pick from! (Oh, and isn't it coincidental that the title for the week is also the same name for the diet challenge I just started?)

Basketball: Hoosiers - I had to go here. I've talked about it countless times before, but for crying out loud people. I AM a Hoosier! This movie is classic! It makes me cry. It reminds me of the religion all Indiana-born, corn-fed humans are raised on.

Football: Rudy - I could have gone in a million directions on this one. Friday Night Lights? The Blind Side? Brian's Song? No, guys, I'm still in Indiana. This one is a family favorite. You've got to root for Rudy.

Soccer: Bend It Like Beckham - A confession? I know we saw this movie, but I don't remember much about it. I just couldn't think of any others I'd seen. Can I count all the World Cup recaps my husband watches? He remembers scores from World Cups that occurred in the '60's. It's a sickness.

Baseball: Bull Durham - I'm severely depressed that Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon have called it quits. They met while shooting this film! I'm still trying to convince my husband to paint my toenails, but he isn't buying.

Golf: Caddyshack - This one wins by a long mile, beating out Tin Cup and Happy Gilmore. I can't quote lines from the movie like some I know, but it is enjoyable on the 25th watching.

Boxing: Raging Bull - You all know I love this movie, even though it is really dark and disturbing. When We Were Kings ran a close second, and Rocky third.

Hockey: Miracle - I can actually remember where I was and what I was doing when the US beat the Russians in the Olympics (high school basketball game). When we saw this movie, even our kids got into the spirit of the thing. It is always good to beat Russians at anything.

Bowling: Kingpin - Bill Murray, on two movies this week! I really know so very little about this sport as a profession, but who cares. This movie is hilarious.


I suppose I could have included race car driving, bicycling, running and pool, but school is back in session and I must get up early again. Back to the salt mines.



18 comments:

Alice said...

I really suck with movies. I haven't watched any of the ones you mentioned. I think I need to improve on my movie watching capability this year.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Hoosiers. You've got a good list I've seen all of these and I like how you broke it down by sport.

Literary Feline said...

There are some really great sports movies out there. Bend It Like Beckham is a favorite of mine. Bull Durham is good--I'm glad you mentioned that one. Another one that comes to mind is A League of Her Own.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I seem to remember the sports theme too! But with the way The Bumbles love sports, it seems entirely understandable!

Kathie Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathie Smith said...

(Sorry. Got the date wrong on that last comment.)

What? How could you forget the cutters and Breaking Away?

Best sports movie ever, hands down: Ping Pong (2002) from Japan. I kid you not. Completely awesome. Available on DVD.

Alyce said...

What came to my mind first were: Rudy, Happy Gilmore, and the Rocky movies.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I remember renting Bend It Like Beckham, but I may never have watched it.

Susan said...

Great list! I loved Hoosiers, too, and I don't even care for sports! And I'm not from Indiana, but reeeaaal close! In fact, we had a team like the Hoosiers team from our little area called the Waterloo Wonders. I'll have to do a post about them someday.

I loved Bend It Like Beckham. Don't like soccer, don't really care for Keira Knightley, but I love Parminder Nagra! She played one of my favorite characters on ER

bermudaonion said...

I think there was even a movie about ping pong a few years ago. Great list.

Beth F said...

Great list! This is such a fun meme.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Alice - I definitely go through phases with movies. Long live Netflix!

Stacy - One of these days, when I visit my parents in IN, we are going to go see where they filmed the movie. I'll take pictures!

Wendy - I thought of a League of Their Own, but I restricted myself to one movie per sport, and I do love Bull Durham!

Jill - I don't really remember when I started doing this meme, but the sports one was new to me!

Kathie - I know. But here is the thing. It was late. And I just talked about Breaking Away within the last month (don't remember for what theme) so I didn't list it. I thought there was a Ping Pong one out there, and I knew you'd know it!

Alyce - I saw somewhere that Rocky was considered the #1 sports movie. I do like the first one. And Happy Gilmore always makes me laugh!

Nicole - I am ashamed I don't remember much about it! But then again, soccer is not necessarily my thing. It IS my husband's thing!

Susan - I love the underdog stories, as you can tell!

Kathy - yes, according to my sister Kathie's comment there was, and she says it is awesome!

Beth - I know. This is my "fun" day where I talk about something besides books! It always gets my brain working!

caite said...

I would have to add bicycling and Breaking Away! I love that movie.

Heather said...

Good selections, Sandy! My list

ds said...

Well, of course you had to mention Hoosiers!! Clean forgot about Bull Durham (did Robbins and Sarandon really split? :( ) Love the way you broke this down. Caddyshack *head smack*!!

The Bumbles said...

I didn't even know about the Robbins/Sarandon split until Andy told me about it over Christmas (he's such a celebrity gossip hound) - I was heartbreaking - due to my fondness for Bull Durham.

Raging Bull is tremendous. I saw a behind the scenes thing once where they showed how Scorsese filmed the confrontation scene in the kitchen with one camera scrunched up in the corner - the grittiness shines through in the cinematography.

Zibilee said...

I haven't watched many sports movies, but it looks like you have! Actually, come to think of it, I did see The Blind Side a few weeks ago, and loved it. What did you think of it? I also have heard that Rudy is a great movie, I'll have to try to get a hold of it and see.

Unknown said...


I love sport movie. It create a synthetic emotion. I finding for new sports game.