Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Adult Literacy League needs your help!


Because of my love for books, it's probably not surprising to hear that when I volunteer my hours for a cause, it is usually is linked to literature in some form or fashion. I think most of us bibliophiles are like this. I have run the Scholastic Book Fair for the last two years at the kids' school, I work in the school library once a week, and there is my latest project, The Adult Literacy League.

The Adult Literacy League will be hosting their annual fundraiser in early April. It is called "Reading Between the Wines" (how perfect is that?), where there will be wine tasting, a silent auction, and two featured authors. You want to guess the name of one of the authors? Connie May Fowler! Did this event have my name on it, or what? Connie will obviously be promoting her new book, which will be officially released on April 2, "How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly" (which I have read by the way, and loved with all my heart). I hope I don't make a fool of myself when I meet her, because as you know, she is at the top of my list.

But I digress. So where am I going with this? Why do I need your help? Well, I've been charged with collecting as many author-signed books as I can for the silent auction. Any books are welcome...young adult, children's books, adult books, cookbooks. If anyone reading this post has an author-signed book, or knows of someone who has access to author-signed books, a donation would be so greatly appreciated for this worthy cause. The Adult Literacy League and I would be forever in your debt. If you can help, please contact me at rnawrot@cfl.rr.com, or leave me a comment with a contact.


Thank you all in advance for your help and contribution to the love of reading!




15 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I think I have a few of those around. I will take a look around.

Susan said...

Hmmmm, I can't think of any right off, but I'll check the shelves and see if there are any I can part with. Great cause!

bermudaonion said...

I'll see what I can do.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I love the name of that: Reading Between the Wines. What a great idea! It sounds like a really fun event.

Lauren said...

My office gets books donated to review and sometimes we don't end up using them. A few of them are signed so I'll see if we could donate them! We usually donate them to the library; this is just as good! :)

Also-is the organization based in Orlando? I'd LOVE to help out, if you guys need any help! Like you I love volunteering for literacy or book based organizations. Please let me know if there's anything I could do - or if I could come to the event!

JoAnn said...

What a great event!

Michele said...

Sandy, does it matter if the author included an inscription along with their signature? If that's ok, let me know and I've got a few for you!

Legendary Lights said...

I'd love to send books. Just say when and where!

Pam
http://beaconstreetbooks.com

Jenners said...

I wish I could help you ... I have one autographed book but it has my name on it ... not sure people would want that!

The Bumbles said...

I can't part with my Gloria Steinem auto. book - it was a gift from a friend. But I think your support of this cause is truly good work. Best of luck - if you are involved it can only succeed.

Unknown said...

I think I may have one around here somewhere that I can send your way. If you've not heard from my by Tuesday, please feel free to remind me.

Iliana said...

What a great event and how cool that your favorite author is going to be there!

Unfortunately some of my signed books are still in boxes. Does it matter if they are the mass paperback size or are hardcovers preferred? Let me see if I can get to some of my book boxes!

Alice said...

What a great event! I wish I could help with this, but I'm too far away to do anything meaningful...
:(

Melissa said...

I will look around my house for you. I know I have some signed ARCs, but am not sure about finished copies...

J.W. Nicklaus said...

I'd be happy to submit a finished copy of my book, The Light, The Dark, and Ember Between--signed, of course ;^)

If they'll accept a softcover finished copy, let me know and I'll send one along!

Avomnia@cox.net