Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Sunday Salon: The heat is on


The theme for this week was HEAT. All records have been knocked out of the park down here in Florida...it has been the hottest week in 100 years. I tend to "glow" with less effort than the next person, so this weather anomaly encouraged my inner slug.

Which was bad timing, since I just signed up for Trish's
100 Mile Fitness Challenge. Simply walk 100 miles between October 1st and December 31st. Walking and running count mile-for-mile. 15 minutes of other exercise is equivalent to 1 mile. I racked up 14 miles, despite the soul-crushing heat. Perhaps this will motivate me into a healthier state-of-mind. My psyche seems to care when I am accountable to others for my actions.

I was able to join my golf league on Thursday for the first time this season. (Season starts in September, but I was otherwise occupied with the Book Fair.) It is kind of hard to putt, however, when sweat is dripping off your nose. We all came crawling in for lunch looking and acting like drowned rats.

I had a fairly productive reading week. On the printed book front, I finished The Seance by John Harwood, as well as The Uninvited (my book club selection for next week) by Steven LaChance. I've started Feathers, my second Jaqueline Woodson read, with Lena coming in close behind. I was able to finish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on audio...which was FABULOUS. That is probably the best crime thriller I've read this year. I started The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I'm a little nervous about this one, since I've read some good reactions and bad ones. I was extremely disappointed to learn that the brilliant narrator for Shadow of the Wind did not come back to do justice to its sequel, but can't take anything away from the one doing the work. The kids and I are also closing in on the final discs of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Here's an exciting news flash. For all of you that have been following me for awhile, you are well aware that I am Connie May Fowler's number one fan. (Makes me sound slightly creepy.) Well, I've now gotten two (count them!) e-mails from her. She is working on a new book that is due out next April, and I'm hoping I'll get a sneak peek. Once she gets the new book published and on its way to all of our anxious, hot little hands, I'm going to have her as my guest on You've GOTTA Read This. I am one excited blogger, guys. This lady is an inspiration.


I'm not sure what I said last week to imply that I'd been sick, but there were a few comments to that effect. I was actually healthy as a horse last week. I can't say that this week though. My son and I both came down with the crud a couple of days ago, and we are fighting through it. I'm hoping that if I ignore it, it will go away and leave me alone. I've got some walking to do!


27 comments:

Stephanie said...

So cool that you will have your fav author as a guest poster! Good for you!

Book Bird Dog said...

We are sh;ivering up here in the midwest. Good for curling up with a book. Hope it cools down some for you.

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

So bizarre that it can be so uncommonly hot in Florida and so uncommonly cold a few hundred miles away in the midwest.

Andreea said...

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the books you've read:)

Have a nice Sunday, Sandy!

Molly said...

Well, we have had near record cold weather in the midwest --- it looks like Mother Nature is having a field day.

Congratulations on being contacted by the author. That sounds so exciting!

Also, congrats on completing 14 miles this week. I am still debating whether I should join this challenge (and at the rate I am going, I will have to walk 100 miles in a month!)

JoAnn said...

Cool, fall weather here in the northeast...perfect for the apple festival this weekend! That's exciting news about Connie May Fowler.

ANovelMenagerie said...

I hope that you have some comfie shoes to walk in!

Literary Feline said...

So Florida is where all the heat went! I was wondering. ;-)

It really is no fun walking in the heat. Riley doesn't get to go on his usual walks during the summer months as often as he'd like because of it. The pavement is just too hot, and he refuses to wear shoes of any kind.

My brother is really into golfing. My husband only if it's on his XBox 360.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on The Seance. I can't wait to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm so glad you liked it.

How exciting that you'll be previewing Connie May Fowler's new book! I'm jumping up and down along with you.

I am sorry to hear the predictions of your being sick came true. That's probably my fault. Cold front, you having a cold. Same thing. Okay, so not really, but my brain was evidently still sleeping at that point. I hope both you and your son are feeling all better very soon.

Have a great week, Sandy!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You are so good to walk in the heat! I tend to come up with any excuse not to exercise, so all summer in Tucson I say it's too hot! Yay for you for not doing that!

Thoughts of Joy said...

I bought a Connie May Fowler book at a library sale because of you! I'm so excited that you two have made a connection. :)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Stephanie - getting an e-mail from her sent me over the moon. I know I don't know her, but I feel as if I do, especially after reading her memoir!

Book Bird Dog - oh please send some our way. I can't stand it!

Jen - I know! Usually we start to cool off in October. And frankly, we've had sickening heat since April. I'm over it.

Andreea - oh you will! These reviews should be published over the next couple of weeks. Aren't you due to have that baby soon????

Molly - it requires all of my restraint not to babble obnoxiously about "talking" to Connie. I am such a big fan. I am glad you decided to do the 100 mile challenge. You won't want to get off the treadmill after you get rolling on these audios!

JoAnn - an apple festival! Awww! I want to go to one!

Sheri - actually, I got a nifty new pair at the end of August, with the intent on perhaps training for the 3 day Cancer walk next year. So I was ready!

Wendy - yeah, I think we sucked the heat out of the rest of the country. Life will get a whole lot better once it drops about 20 degrees. Then again, I'm thinking that maybe walking and sweating will force the cold out of my system!

Jill - you have all kinds of heat out there! But its dry heat! (Yeah, right. Hot is hot!) I just put on a hat and sunglasses and hope nobody recognizes me...

Joy - you did? How wonderful? Which book did you get?

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

LOL at "number one fan," I always picture Kathy Bates when I hear that phrase! Very exciting to host your favorite author.

Congrats on your progress so far in the 100-mile challenge, especially with that heat; we turned out heat on October 1 :)

Heidenkind said...

I wish I was having weather like you--it snowed here last night. :( Brrr!

Thoughts of Joy said...

Yep, I did! :) I got Before Women Had Wings.

Melody said...

Hope the weather will cool down so exercising will not sound as if it's a chore! It's definitely not fun working out under the hot weather!

Looks like you've read a lot of books lately! I can't wait to read your reviews on them!

Kathie Smith said...

I was going to give you a hard time about complaining about the heat, but I see that many people beat me to it! We had snow Saturday and more snow tomorrow!

bermudaonion said...

I spent the weekend in lower Alabama and the heat was awful - I thought I'd melt.

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, 14 miles is good! I have racked up about 20 miles since I started. It's hot over here in Kuala Lumpur!

Carrie K. said...

That's really cool news about Ms. Fowler - can't wait!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you did good in spite of the heat. I'm a weather wimp since I live in California!

ds said...

Wonderful news about Ms. Fowler! That is quite a coup. Getting the "crud" as you put it is not, so I hope that you and your son are over it quickly. Also that the heat has dropped into a more bearable range...

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised that Connie has contacted you - I can't imagine there are many people doing more to spread the word about her books than you!

I hope the next one is as good as her previous ones.

Kaye said...

It has been a brutal week. I was marinating in the pool yesterday just to get the temp down a tad. Our friends are down south now from Maine and are wending their way to Fl today. Since they hate the heat they'll probably never visit again! I miss New England at times like this. Stay cool, kiddo!

Darlene said...

How awesome for you to have your favorite author on your blog. That's fantastic!

Too bad we couldn't blend your weather with mine. I bet we'd end up with the perfect mix. lol.

You and your son take care and feel better.

Jenners said...

I'm so happy for you and your favorite author relationship!!! HOW COOL (and it sounds like that is the only cool in your life now with all that heat!)

Melissa said...

Yeah on the emails from Fowler!! It's so cool to talk to authors, let alone authors you love!

No heat here...just cold and wet. We didn't really get fall, just right into winter. :(

Serena said...

That's great news....your favorite author as a guest post. Wow, congrats.

It is getting colder here in Maryland.