Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Dear Old Dad


Inspired by Molly's weekend visit with her dad, the Bumbles have asked us this week about the movies with the strong father figures. They could be admirable, goofy or homicidal, but they all count. Here are some of my favorites:

Parenthood - I haven't seen this movie in awhile, but there are so many moments that hit home. Steve Martin plays Gil, the dad who just want to do right by his unruly kids (you know, the ones that scream the song "diarrhea", the one that walks around with a bucket on his head, the one that just might grow up to be a homicidal maniac if he can't be a productive member of his little league...).

The Godfather I and II - The humdinger of all father movies, wouldn't you say? In the movies that made me a near-obsessive fan of DeNiro and Pacino, I would have to place these two in my top ten of all time. Good for a marathon on any rainy weekend, just don't waste your time with Godfather III.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Falling firmly on the side of "good father", Atticus Finch is forever engraved on my mind. Yes, he works alot, and yes he isn't anxious to go out in the yard and play ball, but he will never do wrong by his kids and is willing to go to his grave to set the right example.

Star Wars - Serious father issues in this movie. Darth Vader won't win any "Father of the Year" awards for sure, but he does turn his act around at the end of the day.

National Lampoon Vacation/Christmas Vacation - Part idiot, part big-hearted, sentimental putz, part horndog, Clark W. Griswold makes us laugh out loud. We actually get a double dose of dad because we also are treated with the Griswold's brother-in-law Eddie ("the shitter was full").

Life is Beautiful - If you have been following me for any length of time, you surely have noticed how often this movie comes up in my lists. I love this movie, but just by saying its name, I start to become emotional. This movie is dedicated to the lengths a father would go to protect his child from the atrocities of the Holocaust.

Capturing the Friedmans - OK, now for my wild card. This is actually a documentary, so the father in this film is the real deal. Watching this movie is like watching a natural disaster take place slow motion...don't plan on eating after you have watched this nightmare of a father/son pedophile team.


This was another topic in which I could have listed a couple dozen more, but that is the sport of writing these lists at 5:00am. What are some of your favorite bad dads/good dads?

20 comments:

Beth F said...

I'm trying to come up with another father movie and I'm drawing a blank (not enough coffee?). Anyway, I like your choice.

Ana S. said...

I feel the same way as you do about Life is Beautiful. One of my favourites for sure.

Literary Feline said...

Good ones, Sandy! I hadn't thought of The Godfather movies or Life is Beautiful--all great movies.

I haven't seen Parenthood,the National Lampoon movies, or Capturing the Friedmans. The Friedman documentary sounds like it would be difficult to watch.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I guess those would fall under strong father figures, but the Godfathers didn't immediately spring to my mind. They are probably among the strongest.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have not seen Life Is Beautiful. I am going to put in on my list now. I have heard great things about it but have never rented it. You've picked some great dad movies.

kayerj said...

Nice pics for this weeks theme. Steve Martin plays the best funny dad in several movies. I saw one the other night where he and his wife (Goldie Hawn) went to New York and were mugged on their way to their daughters home. They end up having lots of very funny adventures in the big city. I've never seen the Godfather--can you believe that. I'll have to look into "Life is Beautiful" since you recommend it so highly. my movies.

Unknown said...

oooh some good choices. I would have never picked Star Wars! :)

Monday Movies

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I agree with all of yours. Another favorite of ours that I would add is "It's A Wonderful Life" with James Stewart. Our family watches it together every Christmas!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Beth - there are mornings I feel like that. This meme is always a kick start to my week!

Nymeth - It has been awhile since I've seen it, because I am just a big globby mess when it finishes. But the time has come to get it out again I think. It really is one of the most beautiful movies ever.

Wendy - Yeah, that Friedman one is something. It is really provocative, and is also amazing that all this footage exists of the family's daily lives. I was rattled for days after I saw it.

Nicole - Ah, Marlon Brando at his finest. Although I think I think he'd be the last father I would want!

Beth - Highly recommended, just bring your tissues!

Kaye - I don't know if I've seen that one. It doesn't ring a bell. I'm off to Netflix to find it!

Busy - I can't explain how my mind works sometimes. But he is one the baddest daddies of them all!

Craftymoose - you are right! See, if it would have been a little closer to Christmas, that one probably would have made my list!

Heather said...

Ha! I included Darth Vader in my list as well. Have not seen three of those on your list. Mine is posted HERE

Unknown said...

Life is bBeautiful is a wonderful film! Capturing the Friedmans, that was an interesting, quirky & sad movie. Parenthood cracks me up! My favorite in your list, though, is To Kill a Mockingbird.

great list!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

I have to say you shocked me with the Godfathers but I see your point. Your choice of Life is Beautiful is definitely a winner. Overall I like your list.

Alyce said...

You have some good ones on your list. I haven't seen Life is Beautiful though.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Heather - I'm off to check out your list!

Amy - I'm impressed that you've seen all of those! Yes, TKAM is just the best!

Margot - the funny thing is, that was the first one I thought of! They didn't say it had to be a good father!!!

Alyce - if you rent it, you won't regret it I don't think. It will make you laugh and break your heart, all at the same time.

caite said...

Oh, I LOVE Gregory Peck as the father in To Kill a Mockingbird. So upright, so handsome...lol

The Bumbles said...

I like how you captured the spectrum of Dads - you are right, we never said you had to come up with good fathers or favorites - I like evil examples every now and then to make me appreciate the goodness in life even more. But that documentary just made me fearful of the dark depths of humanity. I enjoyed all of your selections. Life Is Beautiful probably captured the perfect Dad even more so than Atticus - which is hard to do.

ds said...

Great choices Sandy. I already gushed about Atticus Finch at The Bumbles'. But Life is Beautiful? I am crying just thinking of it. Yes, a thousand times, yes.

Alice said...

What a great list of movies, Sandy! I've heard of most of them but because I don't own a TV or player, I seldom watch them movies. But doesn't mean I don't like them. I loved the book To Kill a Mockingbird, and hope to watch the movie version one day.

Kathleen said...

Life is Beautiful is one of those movies that made me sob and sob and sob but it is on my list of favorites because it moved me so much to think of a father going to such lengths to try and protect his child from the grim reality of their situation.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Caite - he IS quite the dude, with alot of character and wisdom.

Bumbles - yes, you have to include the bad ones too! They are just as much fun to watch!

ds - All I have to do is mention Life in Beautiful, and I tear up. And I'm not really a weepy kind of girl, but that one just gets to me

Alice - you know, if you have an iPod, you can rent movies there too. I do that every time I travel, for the kids and for myself. I actually re-watched TKAM on my iPod coming back from Poland this summer!

Kathleen - amen sister. I couldn't have said it any better myself!