Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Festival Recipe Exchange: Wild Rice Dressing



Amy @ My Friend Amy has done it again! Do you suppose after the wrap-up of BBAW, she got bored and decided it was time for all of to get back together again? This time, it is in the name of FOOD!

Today we are all exchanging our favorite fall recipes in the Fall Festival Recipe Exchange. In all parts of the country besides Florida (don't get me started), the leaves are starting to turn and there is a chill in air. It is the perfect time to start making hot drinks, soups, and comfort food.

My recipe is a favorite of ours that we make at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Personally, I've always hated the typical dressing...too much bread. This dressing is unlike anything else you've tried. We always make two batches...one with oysters (for my husband and my dad) and one without. I have no idea where the recipe originated. All I know is that its scribbled on a little slip of paper in my husband's handwriting!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups wild rice
  • 1/2 pound pork sausage
  • 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 3 ribs of celery, chopped
  • 3 TBL chopped parsley
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • paprika
  • 1 pint oysters, quartered, with liquid reserved (optional)

Cook rice for 40 minutes. Drain and place in a shallow pan. Put in 275 degree oven to dry out for a few minutes. Saute pork over medium heat. Drain the pork, leaving a couple of tablespoons of grease. Saute onions and celery. Add oyster liquid and oysters if applicable. Cook 7 to 10 minutes. Drain in colander. Combine all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees until heated through.


17 comments:

bermudaonion said...

All of these recipes are making me hungry. I think my husband would love this one, though, so I'm printing it out!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

This sounds absolutely gourmet!

Do you get the sausage in casings and split them open? You're not cutting them into rounds are you? (clearly I've never attempted anything like this but I'm Wildly Rice Dressing curious!)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Kathy - personally, I think the oyster addition is gross, but anything to please the husband and dad. We've spent the last few Thanksgivings at St. George Island, where the oysters aren't even a day old, which makes it extra special!

Dawn - no rounds, just sausage crumbled. You can split the meat out of the casings or can buy it in a tube! But if you are partial to rounds, I don't see how it would hurt!

Darlene said...

Yum-sounds good except I'd be leaving out the oysters. lol.

Beth F said...

I've had a version of this with cornbread -- either way. Yummy. We use the oysters.

Unknown said...

This recipe sounds delicious, Sandy! I like stuffing but I love wild rice so I have to try this. My husband is very fussy about his stuffing because he doesn't like onions. I wonder how this would taste without them or maybe I cn substitue something else. I'll experiment a little and let you know what happens!
I like Beth's idea of cornbread with it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never made dressing (eek! and I'm 52!) and I've never eaten oysters. Where have I been all my life?! :-)

Molly said...

YUMMY --- I think I may make the non-oyster version the next time I fix a roasted chicken!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

i don't think that I have ever had oysters. This looks like a great recipe. I love rice and I love stuffing.

caite said...

I could never get anyone to give up bread stuffing for Thanksgiving but this sounds great to try at another time.

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, thanks for the recipe. I'm very interested in this and will ask my mom to try this out. She'd be thrilled! I can't cook so I have to rely on her for that. LOL!

Amy said...

This looks great!!! I think I'll skip the oysters though. :)

Heidenkind said...

How fun! I've never heard of putting oysters in dressing (that's the stuffing, right?). I know my mom would hate this because she's anti-oysters, but I wish I could visit you at Thanksgiving to try it! ;)

Lauren said...

That sounds good! I don't eat sausage, but I'm pretty sure my boyfriend would devour this recipe in five seconds. :)

(Well, the food made from the recipe, that is)

Booklogged said...

Sandy, is this for the wild rice that's black and not really rice or for brown rice? I bought some wild rice in the upper peninsula of Michigan and was surprised at it's strong flavor. A little bit goes a long ways.

Both my husband and I love oysters, so I'm going to try this.

Mary Michigan said...

I was looking for a savory gluten-free dressing recipe, and this is it! Thank you. By the way, we had a sweet Siamese Flame-Point who passed away last year. He could be your Kitty's cousin!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a savory gluten-free dressing recipe, and this is it! Thank you. By the way, we had a sweet Siamese Flame-Point who passed away last year. He could be your Kitty's cousin!