Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Salon: Morder, Shite and Mayhem

 Good morning my sweet friends.  I am back to fight another day and another week.  Barely.  This past week was not pretty, and it took a big chunk out of my brain.  Husband was out of town (again) and thought it would be fun to text me pictures of his frivolities in Chicago, while I was up at 4:30 in the morning, ran to and from practices, attended two parent meetings that got me home between 9 and 10 at night, and dealing with some other unpleasant issues I'd rather not talk about.  I was not real happy.  Tears were pretty close at hand actually, just from exhaustion and frustration. 

But!  We didn't get blown away by Isaac so that was good.  We had a blustery day or two with a lot of rain, but nothing too terrible.  We had our first pasta dinner on Friday night with the other cross country team families, and had our first meet on Saturday morning.  It was the first time my daughter had ever competed in a long distance race (she is normally a sprinter) and she did so well.  The whole team did well.  I was proud, and the coaches were thrilled with her.  And my son's team absolutely annihilated the other team in football on Saturday as well.  So in the sports category, it was a great week.

Like I said last Sunday, I am spending an unholy amount of time in the car, so audios have been my friend.  I finished "The Orphan Master's Son" early in the week, then plowed through an audio I am reviewing for AudioGo called "The Boy in the Suitcase", and now have started.....

BROKEN HARBOR BY TANA FRENCH!  OMG these accents of the narrators that they have for her books.  They are truly amazing.  With every one I've listened to, I swear I start to talk with an Irish accent.  Shite!  Morder!  Bugger off!  It really IS worth the wait to get her books on audio.  It is quite a long read (17 discs), but I'm actually happy for this because I savor every minute.

In print?  Well, yeah, good luck to me on that front.  I am almost half-way through the true crime novel "Wilderness of Error" and it is good, but I'm having a hard time getting a moment to sit and read.  And I night I fall asleep. Who knows, maybe I'll get some pool floating time at some point this long weekend and make a dent.  

I'm pretty excited to be leaving later this coming week to attend SIBA in Naples Florida.  I've actually not given it more than a brief thought here lately, but once I'm in the car and on my way, I'll be very excited.  Just getting away, for a few days of managing only my OWN schedule and not three others' as well?  Glorious.  In fact, my next Salon should come from there, so I'll have an update for you then.

Wishing you all a wonderful, peaceful extra long weekend.  Do you have any special plans?  Any great reading ahead of you? 


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your week has been incredibly stressful! I can't imagine doing the million things you do WITH your husband in town, much less with him gone for a while. You are a rockstar mom, that is for sure. :)

And YAY for SIBA!!! I cannot wait. It is going to be fabulous. Just a few more days!

bermudaonion said...

I tell you what, I can relate on the stress front. I'm so bummed that I'm going to miss my blogging sisters at SIBA this year, I can hardly stand it. When I think about it, tears are pretty close at hand for me.

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm sorry you had a crazy week but glad Isaac passed you by. I hope things get easier. I have the Tana French book to read but it sounds like I really want the audio. I used to live in Dublin (for such a short time and like 20 years ago!) but I still love hearing Irish accents so much-brings me right back!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Jim and I also have been "speaking Irish" since reading Broken Harbor! LOL

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about picking up accents from audio books. You should have heard me after I spent the weekend watching season two of Deadwood. ;-)

Marybeth Whalen said...

Yes to the SIBA excitement factor ratcheting up! And yes to escaping the stresses of family life to enjoy some fun with book loving sistahs!! Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I plan to have my edits turned in by the time I see you all-- that will be a load off for sure!

Carrie K. said...

I can't imagine doing all of that on your own! I hope your husband is home now for a long stretch and you can get a break. :)

Marce said...

Pretty stressful for sure and you didn't tell us all so overwhelmed I can feel.

Hoping you get more reading and relaxing time.

Your audios sound great, they don't work for me but I love hearing the excited from fans.

I have Thrill Week II going on that is exciting for me.

Laurie C said...

I listened to In the Woods by Tana French on audio and loved the accents, too. Have to listen to the follow-ups one of these days!

Gavin said...

I'm glad Isaac passed you by. Can't wait to hear what you think of Broken Harbor and have fun at SIBA!

Julie P. said...

So happy that you get a mini vacation at SIBA. Enjoy!

I, too, am listening to THE BOY IN THE SUITCASE.

Jenners said...

I'm glad you are getting a well deserved break … and it involves bookish things!! Hooray!!

I read the French book in print -- just couldn't wait for the audio as I'm a slow listener and had to read it all right away.

Heidenkind said...

That does sound stressful. :( It sounds like you deserve a break! Now I know why my parents never pushed me to participate in anything at school. :P

Michelle said...

Your schedule makes me very scared for mine. School starts for my kids this week, along with all of those wonderful after-school activities. I have to find some way to get in a full day's work and still get the kids to their activities on time. I'm not certain how that is going to happen yet, especially when my husband starts traveling again. The things we do for our kids, right?

Have fun at SIBA! You definitely deserve the break!

Beth F said...

Enjoy SIBA! And hang in there. Sorry things have gotten stressful.

Zibilee said...

I am sorry that you had such a rough time this week. I can totally relate, and a few times I was on the verge as well. I am really excited about SIBA, and will be traveling with just the hubby, which is such a relief to me, and him as well. I hope that you have a safe journey, and will see you there!

Unknown said...

I'm really pleased that Isaac didn't cause you any trouble - you were the first person I thought of when I heard it approaching Florida.

I haven't listened to any Tana French on audio. So far I've only read her first book so I am very tempted to find her second on audio now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Alyce said...

Wow, sounds like lots of stress for you. Here's hoping you have an easier week this time around!

I'm gearing up for the first day of school tomorrow, but for the first time in many years my husband doesn't have a lot of travel in September. It's a pleasant oddity.

Melody said...

I look forward to your review on Broken Harbour!!!

trish said...

I'm just getting into audio books and I'm listening to The Boy in the Suitcase. I'm loving being able to hear the correct pronunciation of so many foreign words!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I'm so sorry you've had a stressful week! I can't imagine how you juggle it all with the kids and schedules, etc. And remember, though, blogging is supposed to be fun, so don't allow this corner of the world to stress you out. Take some time off when you need to!

I still haven't experienced any Tana French books (I know, I know!); I have her first book that I plan to read and then I will download the second one on audio since I would love to hear those accents.

I'm so sorry I can't make SIBA this year. I had everything planned with my hotel booked all the way back in March, but work has gotten in the way and there's just no chance I can head down this weekend. I can't wait to read your updates on how the event goes! I'm totally jealous that I won't be there.

Unknown said...

I'm eager,to start the Tana French books, and sounds like audio is the way to go. I hope you have a blast at SIBA, so happy you and the "Heathers" (lol) will be attending. So many authors I know you'll enjoy. I know the getting away will be enjoyable.

Ti said...

My son's first meet is this Friday but from the meet, he leaves to go on a 3 day retreat for ASB to some remote mountain cabin. It's actually a well known retreat conference center but I won't see him at his meet since I am at work and his meet is 3 hrs away and then he is on the road. We have to pack his stuff up tonight. Dramamine. He needs Dramamine.

Hope everything is a little better for you now. Your schedule never ceases to amaze me. I am sorry you had unpleasantness. I did too this past weekend. I was never so depressed. I spent the entire weekend throwing myself in bed.