Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday Salon: Bring on Broadway!

 Good morning my friends!  So anything new going on?  As I think back through my week, only a few highlights come to mind. Generally, it was business as usual...driving the kids around to their practices, running and Andre abuse in the name of fitness, working in the yard and around the house (a wasp stung me in the face...does that count as a highlight?).  I had a very upbeat doctor appointment with good news.  Our nine hole women's golf league started a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to play for the first time this week, with not a half-bad score.  No complaints.

I was a featured guest post on She Reads this week, talking about audiobooks (shocking I know).  I didn't have a chance to direct you over there because it posted quicker than I expected...go check it out if you want to hear me ramble about my love for audios and Joshilyn Jackson.

I'm also on top of the world right now after a Saturday of AWESOMENESS on the part of my kids.  My daughter, a ninth grader, ran Varsity for her Cross Country team, on one of the toughest courses in Florida, and had her Personal Best time.  Plus the Varsity Girls took 1st place!  And my son's football team remains undefeated, shutting out the other team yet again 29-0 in a field that was a total mud pit.  It is so much flipping fun to see your kids kick butt.

But the biggest excitement in my tiny little brain is an upcoming trip.  In the past million years, my husband has always had a quickie trip to New York City in late November/early December.  I've never been able to go because of kid issues, but this year, we decided that the kid issues would resolve themselves and I've been booked on a flight to go.  It is only for two days, but while we are there for two days, we are scheduled to see two Broadway shows. 

The first show we are going to see is "Rock of Ages", a tribute to '80's big hair and the bands that supported the revolution.  This is OUR GENRE people, and while I didn't see the movie (Tom Cruise as a rock God, no thanks), I will revel in my 6th row seats center stage.   I shall bring a lighter to flick at the appropriate times, and will scream at the top of my lungs "POUR SOME SUGAR ON MAAAY (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)".  And dammit, I will mean it, even though my mall hair is long gone.


The second show I will be seeing by myself while my husband does his business dinner thang.  I shall be seeing..............after premiering only one week prior............THE MUSICAL VERSION OF "REBECCA".  Manderley!  Mrs. Danvers and Mrs De Winter!  OMG!  Twists and darkness and singing!  I cannot stand it.  I am having such a tremendous geek attack, I am not sure I'll be able to sit still in my seat.  Holy crap.  Anyone want to join me?  November 29th, 7:00pm, Row K, seat 108.  Be there.  


OK, so I will talk quickly about my reading week because now I am rambling.  I finished both "Bucolic Plague" by the GayGentlemenFarmersWhomILove and "One Last Thing Before I Go" by JonathanTropperWhomILove on audio, AND also "Drop Dead Healthy" by A.J. Jacobs.  All in this week.  I rocked the house on audio.  I am now a couple of discs into "The Invisible Ones" that all audiophiles say is a must listen.  I have to comment that the narrator is pretty amazing so far.  I'm a sucker for British accents.  

In print I plowed through "Code Name Verity" for my book club meeting on Thursday night.  I have to tell you that two people didn't even finish and the rest of us had our issues.  There were some pretty amazing things about this book, but it wasn't flawless.  Now I am reading my beloved Jo Nesbo's newest book "The Phantom".  Which releases on October 2.  Plow, plow, plow.

So I am picking up my reading pace.  If only I could catch up on the reviews!  Ha!  That will be next week's goal, although the kids don't have school on Thursday or Friday so I'm wishing myself good luck on that front.  On the potential agenda is Sea World and Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights.

Hope you all have a relaxing day of reading today.  I'm currently headed out for some Sunday morning running before church.  What do you have going on today?  Any good books I need to know about?    


20 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, you're week rocked - literally! I'm thrilled that you're getting to go to New York and have tickets to those plays.

I had a great doctor's appointment this month too - the only thing he had to say to me was "eat more red meat." For me, that's harder than it sounds.

Congrats to both your kids!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of your New York trip! How fun!! And yes you did rock the house on your audios this week. Nice job :)

Beth F said...

Awesome trip!!! I know you'll have a blast. Good news all around.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

You're going to NYC! That's awesome! I've seen Rock of Ages, very fun. My friend, who adores the '80s, absolutely loved it. I am really curious about Rebecca too. I love the book, so I hope the musical is amazing! I hope you get a chance to visit The Strand too, it's heaven.

caite said...

You had to ruin my day and mention Tom Cruise again, didn't you? :-)

Jenny said...

I'm sooo excited for you for the NYC trip!! My favorite place in the world of course, and Broadway is awesome too! Those sound like great shows!!

Trisha said...

Very very jealous. And what awesome shows!

Unknown said...

I had no idea they were making a musical version of Rebecca - not sure how that will work, but I look forward to you telling us all about it. Have a fantastic trip to New York!

JoAnn said...

Hurray for New York!!! I didn't know there was a Rebecca musical coming... will definitely look into that.

Alyce said...

The shows in NYC sound absolutely fabulous! :) I hope you have a ton of fun!

I'm just taking it easy today. My youngest has a bad cough so we get to stay home and rest. I feel bad for him, but the resting is awesome for everybody. I think I'm going to play Battleship with him, serve up some leftovers for lunch and then hunker down to read for a bit.

Julie P. said...

Very jealous... about the trip to New York but not the wasp sting.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

NYC over the weekend with the husband, part of which he will be in meetings...PERFECT! :) Have fun!!

Gavin said...

Wow, Broadway! Sounds like a fabulous trip, Sandy, and you certainly deserve it.

raych said...

WOMAN IF I DID NOT HAVE THIS LOUSY ADORABLE BABY I WOULD HOP ON A PLANE AND COME WATCH MRS DANVERS TERRORIZE A NAMELESS HEROINE WITH YOU.

Carrie K. said...

I can't wait to hear about Rebecca - that sounds like so much fun!

And I'm bummed you didn't love Code Name Verity as much as I did. :(

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Congrats on your kids having some kick butt weeks! And New York with those two shows?! Argh, I'm jealous! I would totally rock some mall hair with you to Rock of Ages, but I would die to see Rebecca in a musical format! I can't wait to read your thoughts on it, share, share!

Zibilee said...

How very cool that the kids kicked butt and that you are going to NEW YORK!! The shows you are going to see sound awesome, and I didn't even know that there was a musical version of Rebecca! I still haven't read that book, so maybe it's time now. It sounds like you had an awesome week, and I am glad for it. Hope this next week brings continued happiness!

Literary Feline said...

Ooo! To see a Broadway show on Broadway! How cool that will be! You'll have to tell us all about it, Sandy.

I'm listening to my third (& a half) audio book ever right now and really enjoying it. I had to give up on Sedaris. He just wasn't doing it for me.

So glad your kids are doing so well in their sporting events! You must be so proud of them. :-)

Have a good week, Sandy!

Jenners said...

Yay for your kids kicking butt!! Rebecca as a MUSICAL? I just can't imagine it!!! And did you see that the guys from The Bucolic Plague are going to be on the Amazing Race???? I love that show and I cannot wait to see them!! It starts on Sunday.

Ti said...

Rebecca as a musical would be fun.