Friday, September 28, 2012

SIBA Recap: Books I'm Excited About Part 2



Last Friday I shared a long list of books that I discovered at SIBA and that I am terribly excited about reading.  Well, there is more.  Check it out.







Comeback Love - Peter Golden:  This is one of those books that I might never have considered.  But Sarah Pekkanen blurbed it (love her) and I had dinner with Mr. Golden and he spend considerable time talking me down off my ledge about raising sons.  Plus look at that cover.  The story is about two lovers who came of age in the 1960's, and were separated by circumstance.  Decades later, they find each other again.  


The Blessed - Tonya Hurley:  Again, not sure I would have considered this one, but I heard Ms. Hurley speak on a panel.  And I got a good look at the cover, which took my breath away.  It is a YA novel, first of a trilogy, about three girls, down on their luck, who arrive at a hospital to find that they might be the modern version of martyred saints.









Astray - Emma Donahue (October 2012):  I think if you have read "Room", you probably would not hesitate to read this, no matter what the topic.  This book was a rep pick, and describes a journey from Puritan Massachusetts to revolutionary New Jersey, from antebellum Louisiana to a Toronto highway, lighting up four centuries of wanderings.





Cover of Snow - Jenny Milchman (January 2013):  Jenny was sitting at the same dinner table as Peter Golden, and completely charmed the bloggers with her sweet demeanor.  Plus she loves Tana French.  So.  when she told me it took her 11 years to write this literary mystery about a woman seeking answers to her husband's suicide. 









Blood Beneath My Feet:  The Journey of a Southern Death Investigator - Joseph Scott Morgan:  A memoir of a guy who has BEEN THERE.  And OMG there are pictures.  This is totally up my alley, I admit, but I won't be reading it anywhere near food.  This gentleman spoke on a panel, and said that someone declared this book a new genre.  I was pretty much sold that that point.









I'm curious if any of you have heard any of these?  The hardest part is going to be how to decide which to read first!






11 comments:

Unknown said...

These books appeal to me less than your first selction, but that last one sounds intriguing - I love books that are a genre all in themselves.

Beth F said...

All of them but THE BLESSED look good to me. I don't know ... I guess I'm just not into saints.

bermudaonion said...

Y'alls SIBA recap posts are just killing me. I had no idea Emma Donahue has a new book coming out - I will have to look for it!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot WAIT to read Cover of Snow!! And I hope you read Blood Beneath My Feet soon because that is totally not my thing, but I'm very curious about it. Plus the author was SO nice.

tmpolites said...

I know Peter Golden and Comeback Love--both wonderful!!

Unknown said...

I'd heard of the Peter Golden book but not Emma Donahue, how exciting. Your book recaps sound just wonderful!!!

Alyce said...

I haven't heard of any of these. It looks like a good mix of fun and intensity though!

Jenny said...

The cover for Comeback Love draws me to it every time!

Julie P. said...

Of course there are more! All are new to me!!!

Jenners said...

That last one seems like Sandy's dream book! HA!

And that cover of the girl looks really really freaky. I'll have to hear how it is before even trying it.

I love that you get to meet authors and stuff. How fun.

Zibilee said...

I am really excited about Comeback Love and Blessed as well, and that double cover is excellent! I don't think I picked up the new Donoghue, which makes me sad because she is a favorite author of mine.