Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bookish Meme


I recently saw this meme posted by Carolyn at Book Chick City and couldn't resist. Which one of us DOESN'T like to ramble on about our book habits? Plus, I think it's fun to get a little insight into other blogger's book-obsessed little minds. Feel free to play along!


Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?

Generally, I am in the hardback or trade paperback category, but you will find some mass market paperbacks on my shelves as well.

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon?

It's those darned Borders coupons! Evil! However, now that I have a Kindle, I have an open tab at Amazon as well.

Bookmark or dog-ear?

I collect bookmarks, so I take a certain amount of pride in waving them around. But I must admit, I have dogeared a time or two (hangs head in shame). Don't tell.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?

Again, gotta support Amazon to get my Kindle fix, but prefer brick and mortar. There is nothing like touching and smelling (get to that in a minute) a real live book!

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?

My bookshelves are a complete, total random disaster! The only order imposed is the separation between "read" and "unread".

Keep, throw away, or sell?

What about give away? I keep many of my books, but also give away/donate or trade with the local used bookstore. No throwing away! Horrible!

Keep dust jacket or toss it?

I repeat, nothing is thrown away! I'm getting the chills.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?

Normally, the dust jacket stays on the book, but there are some that insist on getting in the way, and I certainly don't want it to get ripped up. In that case, it is tucked away in a safe place until I've finished the book.

Short story or novel?

I've only recently discovered the beauty of the short story, but if I had to choose, it would be a novel.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?

No contest! Harry Potter rules.

Buy or borrow?

A little of both. If I dare walk into a book store, I will buy, coupon or no. But I do make good use of the library as well. Our downtown Orlando library is amazing. They have a service where you request the book online, and they deliver to your house!

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?

98% of the time, it will be a book review that causes me to get out my credit card. That would be book reviews in magazines, newspapers and on all of your blogs. Once in awhile I'll pick up something that looks interesting, or will take the lead from a friend, but I usually shop with a list in hand.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

Give me loose threads and cliffhangers. The book better be darned good if it is wrapped up with a bow at the end.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Whenever I get the time!

Stand-alone or series?

I'm not partial to either. I am "married" (it IS a commitment after all) to a long list of series, but read just as many stand-alones.

Favorite series?

Harry Potter, without a doubt. I do quite enjoy the Stephanie Plum series if I want to laugh, and the Jack Reacher series if I feel angry and want to punch something!

Favorite children’s book?

The sentimental favorite is Goodnight Moon, because it reminds me of when the kids were little. We read it thousands of times and have it memorized.

Favorite YA book?

This is a new genre to me, as the kids are now getting old enough to read them. We thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger Games" on audio. We have yet to secure an audio copy of "Catching Fire", but are on the mission to lay on hands on one.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

Not that I'm not blue in the face for trying to spread the word, but I love anything written by Connie May Fowler. "Remembering Blue", "The Problem with Murmur Lee", and "When Katie Wakes" are her best. Need to get this lady on the radar.

Favorite books read last year?

Well, I wasn't blogging last year and of course I didn't keep a list. But I would say either "The Post Birthday World" by Lionel Shriver or "Into That Darkness" by Gitta Sereny.

Favorite books of all time?

That is like asking me to choose my favorite kid! Not fair! I will throw a few out though..."Beach Music" by Pat Conroy, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?

I'm sounding like a broken record, but the first thing that comes to mind is Harry Potter. It is a phenomenal read, whether you are 11 or 70. My daughter would also endorse the Inkheart series.

Favorite book to re-read?

I'm sitting here trying to think of the last book I re-read. Can't think of one.

Do you ever smell books?

Why do I feel perverted answering this question? Yes, of course I smell books! There is no better smell in the world in my opinion, even if the books are old. They should make a car freshener in that smell (ha).

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?

I'm sure I have. There is always the Diary of Anne Franke. The other book that comes to mind is Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. The unfinished story is wonderful, but what makes the book more poignant are the diary entries of the author at the back of the book, detailing her life of writing while trying to escape the Nazis.

What are you reading right now?

I have four in process right now. The kids and I are listening to the Harry Potter series on audio (Chamber of Secrets currently), and are reading the sequel to Skeleton Creek called "Ghost in the Machine" by Patrick Garman. I am listening to the 47 disc audio of "The Fiery Cross" by Diana Gabaldon (part of the Outlander series), and reading a WWII novel called "Night of Flames" by Douglas W. Jacobsen.

What are you reading next?

I need to get cracking on my RIP Reading Challenge, so am going to listen to "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruis Zafon on audio. The kids and I will continue to plow our way through the Harry Potter series. I will be reading "Family Tree" by Barbara Delinsky for my book club, and will be reviewing "Meggie's Remains" by Joanne Sundell for an ARC and also maybe for RIP. Beyond that is up for grabs!


23 comments:

Susan said...

I have nothing to say except....I bow in the presence of the Queen...it utterly amazes me the number of books you read AND retain up there in your little noggin.

((BOW))

bermudaonion said...

This was a lot of fun! We're a lot alike - I have a few mass market paperbacks, but don't like them. I love all three books that you named as your favorites.

Unknown said...

I haven't heard of Beach Music before - I'll have to look into it!

I can't believe people throw books away either - weird!

caite said...

We are in agreement about a great many of your answers...except that Evil Kindle!!

Alice said...

Ooooh I do share the same thoughts with you on most of your answers!

I smell books ALL the time. I do it discreetly, though. I just flip through the books real fast and let the whiff of fresh, new paper reach my nose...

And no, I never throw away books. I dog ear books quite a bit (mostly non-fictions) and must add that I doodle in them quite a bit. Hmm...

Sandy Nawrot said...

Susan - you are so kind! Not so sure about the retaining thing. I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Ben - ????

Kathy - someday I need to do my top 10, but I'm sure those three would be on the list. Boo mass market!

Jackie - Ooooh, Beach Music is wonderful. I really need to read it again. I was at an antique bookstore here in town and noticed they have a first edition...

Caite - now listen, I just read today in EW that e-books are only 1.5% of the total market. Kindle isn't taking over yet!

Alice - I think that there are alot of closet dog ear people out there. Just my guess!

Jeane said...

I never heard of Waterstones. Am I missing something? And I sniff my books too- all the time! Sometimes a book will remind me of another one I read years before, and they have nothing in common except the scent of the pages.

Literary Feline said...

This is an oldie but goody! I enjoyed reading your responses, Sandy.

I just ordered three books on Amazon. Don't tell hubby. I have a gift card sitting here from Borders, but I couldn't resist the discounts Amazon was offering.

Have a great weekend, Sandy.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Jeane - I could be wrong, but I think Waterstones is a British thing. Or maybe Europe, I don't know.

Wendy - I won't tell! Maybe they are evil, and are the nemesis of all indie stores, but sometimes you just have to give in.

ds said...

I loved reading your responses, Sandy. Those Borders coupons rock! My library has the same online request deal, but you have to pick them up yourself. Such a "chore." ;)
Other than Kindle, we agree on a lot. But I do dogear--will you still be my friend?

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Your library delivers?! Sweeeeeeet!

Sandy Nawrot said...

ds - yes, I will still be your friend! I do it too, now and again, sometimes to mark special passages I like when I don't have my journal nearby. Bad Sandy!

Pink - yeah, it is very sweet. I am waiting for that program to go the way of the dodo with budget cuts. Someone told me that a rich, homebound person died and left a huge amount of money marked for this program, so maybe it will survive.

Lauren said...

Oh man. I'm definitely doing this survey. Excellent answers and I pretty much agree with most of them!

The Bumbles said...

Andy is my delivery service - I am forever sending him messages to stop by the library before it closes or swing by when he's out on an errand. He's always waiting on the cell phone for me to figure out a title that is available per the website. Good doobie. He would love for our town to institute home delivery!

I am very proud to find TKAM on your faves list - I agree with all 3 of your choices there.

I love nothing more than the smell of an old book - something about that musty scent brings me back to my grandmother's bookcase which I would lovingly peruse every time we visited.

Iliana said...

I've done this one before and it's fun. Of course I'm sure if I did it again my answers might change - I can be fickle like that :)

So fun to read your answers, Sandy.

Elizabeth said...

They SHOULD make a car freshener with that smell - brilliant!

Susan said...

Fun meme. I totally stole it. My answers will be up tomorrow :)

Love the air freshener idea. And how 'bout perfume? Gotta have perfume.

Ana S. said...

I love this meme! And I'm glad to see another fan of ambiguous/open endings. Also, I smell books all the time too :P

Stephanie said...

Beach Music by Pat Conroy is one of my favorites too!!

Melody said...

This is a fun meme!
I'd love to buy a freshener that smells like books!! :D

Anna said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers. I used to abhor dog-earing but I've done it myself recently, too. But I always take off the dust jackets when I read. My book OCD doesn't allow me to get them wrinkled at all. LOL

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Melissa said...

My bookshelves are completely unorganized (except by size of book) too. It would take me forever to find anything.

I am finally reading The Hunger Games and am really enjoying it!

Heidenkind said...

If I knew an 11-y-o, I would let them borrow any of my books, but I wouldn't recommend or push them into anything. When I was 11, I did the opposite of what the grown-ups told me to do (actually I still kind of do that...).