Saturday, December 5, 2009

Weekend Cooking: Stuffed Filet Mignon

This is my first time participating in the Saturday Weekly Cooking Meme, hosted by Beth Fish Reads, so what you may not know is that cooking is a huge passion of mine. Generally, my Saturdays are crammed full of the kids' sporting activities, and I never have time to post any of the yummy things prepared at the Nawrot house. Well, the fates have allowed me a little breathing room on this day. So I thought I would share with you what I made last night. It is one of our favorites...perfect for a cold, rainy night.


Stuffed Filet Mignon (courtesy of Paula Deen and the Food Network)

4 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. fresh goat cheese
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
10 large fresh basil leaves
1 pound beef tenderloin/filet mignon roast or individual filets
20 slices pancetta or prosciutto

Preheat grill to medium high heat and oil grates.

In a food processor, pulse together cream cheese, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, salt & pepper.

Cut the roast into round slices about an inch thick. Pound slices between two pieces of plastic wrap until about 1/8-inch thick. Season with salt & pepper.

Spoon about 2 tsp. of cheese mixture onto center of each slice of beef. Fold the meat around the mixture to form a ball, trying not to overlap the meat too much in one spot. Place the ball, seam down onto a slice of pancetta/prosciutto and wrap it around the ball, fastening with water-soaked toothpicks.

Grill, turning occasionally, until pancetta/prosciutto is crisp, about 3-5 minutes per side.

Notes: I have messed with this recipe a tiny bit, from Paula's original. I've found it is better to cut a thicker slice of the filet and pound it out, making it bigger and easier to work with. I've also found prosciutto to be easier to work with than pancetta. The meat is firmer and bigger, making it easier to wrap around the meat.










Trust me, these little nuggets will melt in your mouth!




17 comments:

Beth F said...

Oh wow. They sound fabulous! Yummmmmm. I think we're going to have to try these over the winter.

JoAnn said...

Wow - I'll definitely be trying this one!! Thanks.

caite said...

oh, I love filet. and basil. and goat cheese. these sound yummy!

Darlene said...

Yummo! These look and sound so good. I love to cook as well and I think you already know that The Food Network is one of my favorite channels. lol.

bermudaonion said...

That sounds delicious. After I was through taste testing the cheese mixture, there might not be any left to stuff in the filet.

ds said...

There is nothing not to love about this recipe. It. Must. Be. Tried.
Thanks!

Michelle said...

OMG. My mouth is literally watering at this one. It definitely made the must-make list. Thanks for sharing!

Margot said...

This recipe sounds delicious. I love the cheese mixture. I think I'll try a double batch of the cheese mixture to there will be enough left for the meat stuffing. Thanks for the recipe.

J.T. Oldfield said...

This looks awesome, though I hate sun dried tomatoes...I wonder if I could substitute something for those....

Unknown said...

This sounds delicious, Sandy. And maybe one of the few ways I can get my husband to eat goat cheese!

Ladytink_534 said...

Mmm! It sounds really, really yummy!

Kathleen said...

YUMMY!!!!!

raych said...

I AM GOING TO COME LIVE AT YOUR HOUSE!!!

Jill said...

You just CAN'T go wrong with a Paula Deen recipe. This sounds divine!!!

Alyce said...

It looks good! You know, I've never had filet mignon. I'll have to give it a try one of these days (probably in a restaurant first). :)

Melissa said...

These sound really good, but I'd probably have a hard time selling hubby on the goat cheese. He's pretty much into the basic meat and potatoes...

Anna said...

You had me the minute I saw Paula Deen's name. If I ate all of the yummy things I see on her show, you'd have to grease my sides and push me through the door!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric