Thursday, December 31, 2009

100 Mile Fitness Challenge Wrap-Up


Well, folks, the three months are up! At the beginning of Trish's 100 Mile Fitness Challenge, I wasn't even sure if I could walk/exercise 100 miles in this time period. When I crunched the numbers, though, I realized it was totally doable. In fact, I set a personal goal of 150 miles, and a stretch goal of 200. How did I fare?

Well, I am happy to report that I accumulated 178 miles through both walking and exercising on my elliptical machine. Until a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty confident I would reach 200 miles, based on the fact that I would be at my parents' house for a week, unencumbered with housely duties. But here is the deal. I haven't actually stepped foot up north in the winter since 1998, so I grievously underestimated the impact of the weather. Sleet, freezing temperatures, wind and snow does not a walking experience make. I tried, I really did, but my plan of covering the last twenty miles did not materialize.

The good news is that Trish has decided to host another 100 Mile Fitness Challenge running January 1st, 2010 through the end of March. Except for a week-long trip to Hawaii in early March (woo hoo!) I should be home and entrenched in my routine, so I should be able to hit the 200 miles this time around. This should be especially helpful during the month of January, when I participate in the Game On Diet!

I have found that the accountability of reporting into Trish weekly, and posting my progress on my blog has been a huge motivation to stay active, even on those days where I would have rather stayed home. I think this is the key for me, and plan on making it part of the routine.

How did you all do? Are you going to sign up for the next challenge?



24 comments:

Darlene said...

Congrats Sandy - you did an awesome job!

Alyce said...

Congratulations on your progress! It's going to be cold and rainy for the next few months here in Oregon, so I'll be doing all of my exercising indoors. It's funny because the kids' babysitter also walks our dog for us sometimes, and I was telling her that I could walk the dog and she could watch my son instead. I tried it for two weeks and was so cold that I decided to switch back. :) I'd much rather exercise in the warmth of my house, and leave the dog walking to others (including my husband who doesn't mind the cold so much).

Kimberly said...

Well done, Sandy! I have to be more diligent with my schedule next time around. You have the right idea...shoot for a higher goal!

ds said...

Sandy, you amazing overachiever, I am out of breath just reading about how well you did with this challenge! I know you can rise above any obstacle--bookish, exercisish, life-ish--in your path, and do so with panache. You have earned that Hawaii trip, girlfriend!!
A toast to you for the New Year; may all your dreams come true. I'm so glad to know you. The best to you and your family in 2010!

Serena said...

I think you did a fantastic job! Congrats.

Trisha said...

Congrats! I signed up for the new year in the hopes of decreasing well...me.

Literary Feline said...

Congratulations, Sandy and good luck this next go around. :-)

Julie P. said...

You go girl!!!!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I think you should skip the trip to Hawaii lest it interfere with your routine. I can go in your place if you like!

And have a wonderful happy and healthy but less-healthy-than-Ding-Dongs New Year!!!

Melissa said...

Have fun in Hawaii and good luck with your next fitness challenge. You came so close this time around I'm sure you'll make 200 next time!

bermudaonion said...

You did a fantastic job! Way to go!

Kathleen said...

Congratulations Sandy! I know you are happier and healthier for it. You did AWESOME!

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, I've completed the challenge and is also participating in round two! I'm glad you've completed it and did so well! CONGRATULATIONS!

Anonymous said...

You did SO well! *Gnoe bows* See you in the new 100 Mile Fitness Challenge :)

Melody said...

Happy New Year, Sandy!
Congrats on your progress! You did great!

Anonymous said...

You did great! I finished this on yesterday afternoon with an even 100 miles ;) A trip to Hawaii sounds nice right now. Seems like everyone who's anyone is there!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Congratulation Sandy. Freezing would have kept me indoors as well. As it s you almost double the challenge expectations. Good luck on your next go around.

Unknown said...

I think you did a fantastic job at this challenge, Sandy!

Happy New Year to you and your family!
Best wishes for a wonderful 2010!

Thank you for all of your support and your friendship! I look forward to getting to know you even better in 2010!
Love,
Amy
xoxo

Iliana said...

Oh I'm jealous of your trip to Hawaii! How fun.

Congrats on your progress and best of luck with the new challenge!

Beth F said...

Good job! I got 156 miles in. So you rock!!!

Happy new years!

Cathy said...

My husband was talking about me and him going to Hawaii late January or February, however by now, he's probably forgotten it. I'm not a pushy type, but I know if I did give him a firm, steady push, we'd go. He also wants to paint his airplane this winter, and I'm all for seeing that happen. I'm tired of flying around in shiny aluminum. There isn't time to do both. Happy New Year!

Anna said...

Congrats! You rock, Sandy!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Jenners said...

You did awesome! And I'm going to try this for 2010. And how jealous am I about Hawaii????? So jealous!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Congrats Sandy--you did such a fantastic job. I especially loved when you and your friends went on your cruise and still managed to get a few miles in between drinks. :)

Glad you'll be joining us again!!

Best,

Trish