Saturday, December 12, 2009

2010 Challenges (Part 2)

After strategic planning, I have decided to commit to four more challenges. And they are:













Twenty Ten Challenge - This challenge requires 20 books to be read over 10 categories, which is kinda fun! I think I can make this challenge dovetail with some of my others, so I decided to take the plunge. (Hosted by Bart's Bookshelf.)












Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge
- As most of you know, from my Monday Movie Meme participation, I love movies. During BBAW, C.B. James and I collaborated on discussion-type reviews for Blindness the book, and Blindness the movie. What an awesome, three dimensional experience! I couldn't help myself with this one. I am going to commit to the Saturday Movie Marathon level (4 books/movies). I'd love to do more, but at this rate, I'm going to be reading 300 books next year! (Hosted by Ready When You Are, C.B.) Here is my tentative list, all books from my bulging shelves:


  • Let the Right One In - John Lindqvist
  • Anatomy of a Murder - Robert Traver
  • Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen
  • Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs













TBR Challenge - I participated in this challenge for 2009, and I loved the structure. Once the list is published, you must stick to it, fickle heart be damned! (Hosted by MizB.) So here they are, now officially set in stone for 2010:

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

The Complete Works of Irene Nemirovsky

The Drinker - Hans Fallada

Stone's Fall - Iain Pears

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri

Brooklyn - Colm Tolbin

Belong to Me - Maria de los Santos

In the Woods - Tana French

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Maurier

The Monster of Florence - Douglas Preston

The Strain - Guillermo del Toro
















War Through the Generations Challege: Vietnam - I participated in this year's War Through the Generations Challenge (which was focused on WWII) and it was by far my favorite. I have what some may call a sick and twisted obsession with war novels, particularly WWII. I'm going to sign up for the "Dip" level, which commits me to five novels. One will be a group review project mid-year called Paco's Story by Larry Heinemann. I have some personal friends who are Vietnam Vets, so I will be turning to them for recommendations for this challenge. (Hosted by Anna and Serena.)


I will tell you that I am on the lookout for a Graphic Novel Challenge, which has yet to surface, but I have my list ready and waiting!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to know what your strategic planning entailed!

I'm going to join the Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge and hope to get my post for that up sometime over the weekend.

I failed miserably with the TBR challenge in 2009, so can't decide whether or not to join that one.

Good luck with them all!

caite said...

wow, everyone signing up for all these challenges, I feel like a slacker.

Unknown said...

Hurrah! Glad to have you on-board with the Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge. And The Drinker is in your TBR stack, too.

Molly said...

I am going to participate in C.B.'s challenge as well (post coming later today). I "should" participate in the TBR challenge - as I have so many titles patiently waiting to be read - but the one thing that I learned about myself this year is that I do not like to be confined by a pre-selected list. Perhaps when life is less hectic I will appreciate that kind of forced self-discipline :)

Good luck with these challenges!

bermudaonion said...

I should have my challenge post up soon. The only one we have in common is the War Through the Generations challenge. Good luck!

Lauren said...

Neat challenges! I esp. like the film/book one. When reading Time Travelers Wife, have tissues handy, It gets SAD (but worth it)

Alyce said...

Good luck with all of your challenges! I haven't signed up for the war challenge yet because I don't have any plans to read any Vietnam books this year. But if I end up reading any at all on a whim I will definitely sign up.

JoAnn said...

I STILL haven't joined any challenges for 2010! So many choices, I'm having trouble deciding...will get to it eventually.

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I might sign up for the Read the Book See the Movie challenge! I really love doing that anyway and it kind of ties into my personal challenge of reading all the books that were made into Disney movies (which is a good majority of them). Good luck on all your challenges!

Literary Feline said...

You'll be one busy reader, Sandy! LOL Those challenges look so tempting, especially the book/movie one. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you will have a busy 2010 full of reading great books. I'm excited to read your reviews and very intrigued with the See the Movie challenge!

Alice said...

Good luck for all! I have a couple of the books you've selected for your TBR challenge. I failed miserably for mine last year (I think).

Serena said...

I've got you all signed up on the Vietnam War Participants page. Thanks for signing up and for joining us in the group read.

Darlene said...

Good luck Sandy. I'm joining one more today and then I think I better stop looking around for anymore. lol.

Melody said...

I've found a few new challenges to join next year, but I'm definitely looking forward for more!

Have fun with these challenges!

Jenners said...

I'm reading "Unaccustomed Earth" right now and LOVING IT!

I plan to read "Fingersmith" in 2010 too.

And I relate to having to be strategic in your challenge choices. I've been planning and strategizing to be challenged but not overwhelmed.

Melissa said...

Good luck with all your challenges! I'm skipping the TBR challenge this year as I failed miserably at it this year.