This week's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles is all about the depiction of war on the silver screen. When I read the topic, I sat here for a few moments with my jaw hanging open. How on earth can I play this meme and still get the kids to school???? This is harder than the documentaries!!! Jeez. The Bumbles have done a wonderful job of not only compiling a great list, but also categorizing them by war. I will not even attempt such organization. Also, their list contains some movies that address the Holocaust (Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful) that I must not touch. That is almost a genre by itself! I will stick to movies that have battle scenes, blood, guns, the whole bit. I also won't touch on the two thousand war documentaries we've watched either! Otherwise I will be here all day...
- Saving Private Ryan (WWII)
- Platoon (Vietnam)
- Gone With the Wind (Civil War)
- Apocolypse Now (Vietnam)
- Stalingrad (WWII)
OK, if I must, I will add a note about movies that don't necessarily have fighting in them, but are directly related to a war:
- The Pianist - phenomenal movie...would make my list of top Holocaust films
- Life is Beautiful - ditto the above. I cry just thinking about it.
- Schindler's List - I think would fall into many of my top categories
- The Deer Hunter - I don't remember battle scenes in this one (but maybe there was). It was a movie that I have only watched once, it disturbed me so much...and I'm not easily disturbed. Can't get the russian roulet thing out of my head.
- The Counterfeiters - won best foreign film a year or two back
- Sophie's Choice - my eyes are watering...
- Downfall - remarkable depiction of Hitler's last days