Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Play It Again Sam...



In the spirit of the new year, I've seen many of my fellow bloggers spiffing up their sites and trying new things, so I've decided I needed to get on the bandwagon. Even though books are my main passion, I've got alot of other things going on in my life. So I'm going to mix it up a bit!

I recently discovered a fun and creative blog called The Bumbles. They created the Monday Movie Meme, which I have found to be quite entertaining, as well as a discussion starter in my house. This week's topic is all about remakes...I bet you we can all come up with a long list of really bad ones. Like why even bother? How did they get funding for this crap? But once in awhile, you find a remake that is actually as good or better than the original. Here are mine:

  • Cape Fear (orig. 1962) - not to copy from you Molly and Andy, but DeNiro gave the performance of his life in this one (his physique alone was amazing). It gave me nightmares for days to come.
  • Titanic (orig. 1943) - I remember watching the original as a kid, but Cameron's opus can't be beat.
  • The Grudge (orig. 2003) - another one that gave me nightmares.
  • The Fly (orig. 1958) - this one won't win any Oscars, but was entertaining.

What are your favorite remakes?


6 comments:

The Bumbles said...

I didn't even know Titanic was a remake! I know there had been lots of documentaries and such but I truly thought that was the original.

Sandy Nawrot said...

No I think there were actually two movies made (the second one in the fifties sometime) about the Titanic. They don't even come close to Cameron's.

Literary Feline said...

What a great idea! Ones that immediately pop into mind are ones like The Bad News Bears or The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I think there was a remake of Parent Trap, wasn't there? Emma and Pride and Prejudice were a couple of others. I am sure I can think of more. LOL

Sandy Nawrot said...

Wendy those are great! I LOVED the old Parent Trap...watched it frequently on Sunday nights on the Wonderful World of Disney. But the remake was respectable. Lindsey Lohan did a great job (that was a pre-pubescent Lindsey!). And definitely Pride and Prejudice!

Unknown said...

I'm not opposed to remakes but I'm having a hard time thinking of a really good one. There is a remake of a film noir movie called The Killers based on an Earnest Hemingway story that is very good.

The remake stars Angie Dickenson. I think it was even made for television, but it's very sexy. Her characters meets a good looking race car driver who says "You look great." Angie replies "You look familiar."

Great stuff.

Sandy Nawrot said...

James, I knew I could count on you to come up with something unique. I love film noir, but have never heard of this. Angie Dickinson, in her day, was a hot number. I shall place it in my Q.